Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you!! Everyone here is always so clever--I appreciate any ideas!

From Hitchcock to classics to midnight cult favorites--that's our theme.

Looking for food tie-ins that are first off, very easy, that people would want to eat anyway, yet maybe show a little flair. (About Trader Joe's level of entertaining! ;-)

Food so far:
Popcorn (maybe herbed or Fiddle Faddle? Real popcorn doesn't get eaten!)
Pea soup shooters (Exorcist)
Meatloaf (Rocky Horror)
Chianti, and maybe liver pate (Silence of the Lambs)

Decor-wise, I'm going to set up little vignettes with props I already have, and hang printed-out movie posters by them.
The Birds - crows, branches, cage
Psycho - bloody shower curtain
Angel heart - Rooster, dripping blood, bones
Rosemary's Baby - Scary baby
Magic - ventriloquist dummy w/ blocks spelling murder
Shining - old typewriter w/ "All Work" manuscript & shot glass

Other?
Costume contest

Thanks again!

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you want a good popcorn snack recipe and no one has a peanut allergy - pampered chef has a recipe called sweet and salty party mix

1 pkg (3-3.5 oz) microwave popcorn (about 5 cups popped)
3 cups miniature pretzel twists
2 cups dry-roasted salted peanuts
2 cups oven-toasted rice cereal squares

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare popcorn according to package directions. In Stainless (6-qt.) Mixing Bowl, combine popcorn, pretzels, peanuts and cereal; set aside.

Combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in (2-qt.) Saucepan. Cook and stir with Bamboo Spoon over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Continue to cook without stirring 3 minutes. Remove from heat; carefully stir in baking soda.

2. Pour caramel sauce over popcorn mixture; stir until evenly coated. Spoon onto Large Bar Pan; bake 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven.
3. Transfer popcorn mixture to large piece of Parchment Paper. Cool completely, breaking mixture into clusters as it cools. Pour into Large Bamboo Round Bowl.
Yield: 12 cups

Pecans, walnuts or macadamia nuts can be substituted for the peanuts, if desired.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
Love your ideas so far! Just thinking of other classic scary movies....these might be a little off your theme;

The Mummy (mashed potatoes threaded with black food colouring to look like bandages)
Frankenstein (spinach dip?)
Creature from the Black Lagoon - some kind of fish/seafood tossed in black angel hair pasta
Tell Tale Heart (did they make a movie around this story? If so, a beating heart prop would be great! Food wise - anything deep fried that wreaks havoc on the heart)
Halloween (did anybody eat in that movie? It is the quintessential Halloween movie) - maybe pumpkin soup?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, so much! I've been away all week, so am just seeing this now. :)
My friend is going to make chicken liver salad for Silence of the Lambs (to go w/ a nice Chianti ;-), and bits of deep-fried shark ("Shark Bites"), to go w/Jaws. :)
I'm also going to do Meatloaf, for Rocky Horror.
I appreciate any additional ideas!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts