Halloween Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
yes u r right.

is it possible to get accurate reynolds number for this device?
Not easily, I'm afraid. There are online calculators out there, http://airfoiltools.com/calculator/reynoldsnumber for instance but you would have to do some research for some of the input data.

There are plenty of things you can do to lower the reynolds number, even if you don't know what the reynolds number is. Some of the suggestions I made before should help. Keeping your airways close together will help a lot. The larger the diameter of each cell also negatively affects laminar quality. Smaller, more numerous cells will help immensely. My first iteration was using straws with a 6mm diameter. My second iteration is using a honeycomb with a cell diameter of 9mm. I had better laminar results using 6mm cells but the water condensation kept clogging the straws. The 9mm cells didn't cause condensation problems but the reynolds number was higher and therefor, the laminar flow was harder to tame. Your cell diameters look rather large and that can be another issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
another problem!

the water drop...

how can I prevent it?
The water drip is really difficult to to deal with. When more fog is pushed through, the drip gets worse. I am still trying to figure out a good way to combat that. Adding a drip channel helped a lot. So, what I have going on is; in the fog chamber, where the fog gets funneled down to the straws, there is a small aluminum channel that works like a drip tray. It's mounted at an incline so gravity moves the water to a drain hose. This channel is mounted on the side of the chamber where the fog enters. You can see the drip channel in one of my previous pictures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
After getting a few inquiries about set-up, I decided to put up a new video showing out I set this thing up.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
awsome!

how do u control the fog flow amount?
by DMX controller?
if yes, what part of fog flow is it connected to?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Basically yes. Everything on this fogscreen is controlled via DMX. I may do another video showing the control of the fogscreen.

The fog density adjustment is pretty basic. All I do is adjust the speed of the fans at the top, the ones that push the fog through. The speed at which the fog exits the fogscreen doesn't affect the laminar flow hardly at all. Having the density of the fog variable also helps with condensation and drip. If I were to turn the top fog fans all the way up, the condensation becomes a problem and water starts to drip quite a bit. I mean, it doesn't pour out but within five minutes or so, I will have a 5" puddle on the ground. I run the fans at about 20% to produce the density of fog that I like. At 20%, there is little to no drip. Maybe a few drops every five minutes or so. Totally manageable and acceptable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
about laminar flow... does it depend on honeycomb, air flow and the straws only? no other element?

the 2nd question; could you say how many mist maker we need for making a 30*30cm screen of fog? (i wanna make a small one first)

and finally the 3rd question ;)
where can i buy a honeycomb? do you have any links?

tnx

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Absolom7691,

I saw a fog curtain machine in the India Pavilion at the Venice Biennale (world art show) in Italy. It was showing a letter from Mahatma Ghandi (see pic). I was so inspired by the immersive quality and viewer interaction of the work that I want to use a fog curtain for an art project. After doing some research I found out that these machines are way too expensive to buy!! So I looked for ways to make one myself and then discovered your project! Really amazing what you did!!! I'm gobsmacked!

I would like to build a scale model first and if that works I can build a big one. So I’ve been looking at how you have constructed your machine and I pretty much understand how it works except for the top part of the machine that contains the water with ultrasonic foggers and the ventilation.

I apologise for taking up your time but would you please be so friendly to answer some questions I have? I will sum up my questions so it doesn’t become confusing.
  1. What I don’t understand is the route of the airflow of the fog?
  2. How does the fog get pushed from the water container into the straws?
  3. And what are the ventilators on the top for? Do blow the air inside and then push the fog towards the straws?
  4. And why you have these little aluminum Plates above the foggers? Are they for condensation?
  5. You posted some documents (air flow drawing) but unfortunately these pages don't open.
I really hope you can help me out and answer my question. If I manage to pull it off I will credit you in my work if you like. I will have an art show showing the work.

Greetings from Amsterdam!
😃

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let's start with the honeycomb. So, after procuring aluminum honeycomb (not as easy a task as it sounds) It needed to be cut, expanded and trimmed to size. Of course, going into this, I didn't know how to do any of it! Cutting was the most physically demanding part but didn't taking much figuring to do it. Expanding it was a pretty daunting task. After trying to look up the procedure for expanding honeycomb, I became a little despondent. Commercially expanded honeycomb required a special expander to do the job right. I finally had to look up one of these devices to see how they worked. Now, I could have ordered the honeycomb expanded and cut to size but due to the fragility of aluminum honeycomb, the shipping costs (which were already high for the unexpanded) would have been astronomical. It probably would have added another $200~$300 to the shipping. Well, after learning how the honeycomb expanders worked, I figured out how to make my own "expander" :D

So, there it is... 120lbs worth of unexpanded aluminum honeycomb. Solid as a brick!
View attachment 517010 View attachment 517018

After several hours of cutting with a hack saw, I sliced off the piece I needed.
View attachment 517026 View attachment 517034

...And now for the expansion!
View attachment 517042 View attachment 517050 View attachment 517058 View attachment 517066

After expanding, cleaving was easy. Just a sharp kitchen knife and some patience
View attachment 517074 View attachment 517082

Stay tuned for more!
where did u buy it? any links?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts