Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen fogging tombstones at several retail stores, I wanted to build one. I'm going to build it out of foam board. So here is my dilemma, how/what do I run the plumbing? I could use PVC, EMT, or Dryer Vent Tubing. I think the most obvious and easiest would be PVC, but want to see what others think. Have any of you built one of these and how did you do it? The less complicated the better as I want to build a couple different fogging tombstones.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right they do, but I'm trying to improve on the craptastic plastic ones. I'm going to run plumbing on the inside of a foam board one.

The master plan is to take one of my 400w foggers attach it to a mini chiller (in the process of designing it) then run a 1 or 2 foot hose from the chiller into the back of the tombstones base. The plan is for the fog to come out of the base rather than half way up the stone. Gives the illusion of the fog coming out of the ground.

I think I'm going to end up going with EMT, the grey EMT will be easier to mask with the grey paint I'm using.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I picked up an ionizing fogger at the Spirit Shoppe a few years ago. ( I think that's what it's called) It's basically a puck like thing you sit in water and turn on. The one I have has colored LEDs and makes the fog change color. You could build the tombstone with a base that holds the water and drop one of these in. It makes a pretty good fog, it won't cover the ground but it is a cool effect if you are just looking to have the stone appear to have fog coming out of it.

It's this guy right here. http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/mist-maker1/?w=fog&UTM_campaign=Search:SC:fog

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that was the original idea, then I decided it would be a great way to blanket the whole display. It helps mask some of the "behind the scenes" stuff by letting me put the fogger and cords in the wood line out of sight. I'll have to post some pictures or a video with a rough mock up so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we use a trashcan with 4 cutouts for dryer tubing we put 2 foggier machines on one side and two vent tubing on the other we added a Tray to the top of the trashcan with ice to keep the fog cool it put s out a longer and more consistent fog over the cemetery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we use a trashcan with 4 cutouts for dryer tubing we put 2 foggier machines on one side and two vent tubing on the other we added a Tray to the top of the trashcan with ice to keep the fog cool it put s out a longer and more consistent fog over the cemetery.
The chiller isn't the part I'm trying to figure, just making a miniature version of the one I already have. I'm trying to determine what the best way to plumb the actual tombstone is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with it dryer tubing because unlike PVC it's flexible, and I needed that for my cauldron chiller. If chilling the fog is a priority, I'd go the smallest aluminum expanding tubing you can find.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with it dryer tubing because unlike PVC it's flexible, and I needed that for my cauldron chiller. If chilling the fog is a priority, I'd go the smallest aluminum expanding tubing you can find.
My chiller actually works very well. The distribution is what I'm trying to figure out. Right now the plan is to use PVC to create the effect I'm going for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you runnings the pipework through the tomb stone?
Yes, rather than just punch a hole and attach the hose I want to run plumbing through the base of the tombstone for multiple exit points.

Can you post some pictures? That might help.
I'm going be making and posting a concept video this weekend. Full time job kind of keeps me from working on anything during the week.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would run a 1 inch pvc pipe with 3 exit holes throughout it that lead out of holes in the foam corresponding to the holes in the pipe
That's what I was thinking. I'm going to try a couple different things. I may end up postponing this prop until next year so that I can get some good R&D time in.

Based on what you're saying, flexible plastic pipe is the way to go. I have a prop of three heads that comes with dark grey flexible pipes that run to the mouth. Just make sure the pipe you use can withstand the hot fog as it comes out of the machine.

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.halloweenfxprops.com/tombstone-trio-fog-machine-accessory-gargoyle-blower/
I have one like that and I hate it. The idea is to hide all that tubing [inside the tombstone and disperse the chilled fog at ground level.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use small diameter PVC pipe from my fogger through a chiller and then out the outlet. You can get couplings that will come close to fitting the exhaust port on your fogger. Then you can use the air conditioner tape or duct tape to secure it to the fogger. Smaller diameter PVC ensures there is enough force to push it long distances. I use 1/2" or 3/4" diameter. I put the chiller near the end where the fog will come out and camouflage it. I have had PVC runs of about 15 ft without any problem, and that includes an elbow or two along the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What if you were to cut a Horizontal slit near the bottom of the tombstone, or 3 to 4 thin horizontal slits to keep some stability, then attach something to the backside that will attach to whatever hose, or PVC pipe or whatever you want to use to get the fog from the chiller to the tombstone, and widen it out to connect to the back of the Tombstone. That would spread the fog wide and thin so that it rolls out of the bottom of the tombstone and spreads out around the yard a little better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What if you were to cut a Horizontal slit near the bottom of the tombstone, or 3 to 4 thin horizontal slits to keep some stability, then attach something to the backside that will attach to whatever hose, or PVC pipe or whatever you want to use to get the fog from the chiller to the tombstone, and widen it out to connect to the back of the Tombstone. That would spread the fog wide and thin so that it rolls out of the bottom of the tombstone and spreads out around the yard a little better.
YES! This is exactly what my new problem is. I know how the supply is going to work, so from the chiller to the stone is good. I'm trying to figure out how to go from the supply to the slits. I'm thinking either carve the channels into the foam board or run a small diameter duct hose. It's been a lot of trial and error for me. Will hopefully be mocking it up this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wonder if you could find a heating vent from a trailer or something. I know they are much thinner than a traditional heating vent in your home. I just don't know what diameter of duct work they fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts