Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since a couple of people had asked, here is my quick and dirty fog timer hack that I used for my grave grabber. :)

It's really pretty easy, but I'd like to preface it with a couple of notes....

1) These units are all 110 volt. If you are not comfortable with wiring high voltage, please be careful I don't want anyone becoming a part of their display because of me. :D

2) This fogger timer was made by Forum. It did not work in any of my big box store 400 watt foggers. I did not compare it to any of my other timers, by I am very suspect it doesn't work only because of a difference in the placement of the pins in the timer's plug. I cannot guarantee this will work for all, but I am sure any other brand will be very similar in nature.

3) This particular unit is switching the NEUTRAL side of the outlet, not the line side. After metering everything out I first test wired it with a single socket C7 just to be safe. I ran this for a couple of hours and neither the wiper motor or the timer became warm. I have to believe these timers are good for at least 400 watts. I have others I have used on a 700 watt fogger with no issues. I figure a wiper motor and or a spot will be safe.

Here is the timer I used.

Here is a picture of the back of the board. Figured this might help if your timer is close to this one.

Here is the wiring configuration between your line in, timer, and a standard duplex receptacle. :D Basically I just used the wire that came with the timer. I cut off the plug end and made my splices inside the outlet box. Very simple.

If anybody has any questions, let me know and I'll be glad to help out any way I can. ;)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I spice the black wire from the plug on the wall to the receptacle and the fog timer?
yep. in fact, you can attach one wire to each screw on that side of the receptacle since the 2 screws are common. Then you just put the green wire on the other side of the outlet.

Then just splice the white wire from your power source to the white wire from the timer. :)

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Thanx for the drawing, easy to figure with my Fitco timers. Bought a few of them extra after halloween at Orchard supply for $10 ea.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you set both the interval and duration with this set-up?

Yes. It really does work well. The shortest interval/duration is probably < 5 seconds. I have not tested them turned all the way up to see how long in between or how long it will run. If I have time, I'll test it this week while I am in there working. :)

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the drawing, easy to figure with my Fitco timers. Bought a few of them extra after halloween at Orchard supply for $10 ea.
I have some other timers (the wal mart ones) that do work on all of my foggers. If I am in the attic, maybe I'll dig one out to compare it to see if they are basically the same and if they are also switching the neutral with the relay.

I am guessing that they are going to be made VERY similar internally. :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes. It really does work well. The shortest interval/duration is probably < 5 seconds. I have not tested them turned all the way up to see how long in between or how long it will run. If I have time, I'll test it this week while I am in there working. :)
Thanks. That makes it even better!!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EDIT: I updated the schematic of the timer wiring to show the addition of a ground wire on the receptacle. This is pretty important (for safety) and I wanted to make sure it was there. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok this is my first post, anyway so I did what you said Diabolik, which by the way I really want to thank you for! So I wired it up to one of the cheap timers from Walmart and at least for me it gave me problems. For some reason it only wanted to work with this one light I had and if anything else was plugged in, the timer would not work at all.
The push button on it worked though. I tried tweaking it but nothing wanted to work, so next I took and spliced one of my better fog timers to the plug and boom worked like a beauty. So if you or anyone else has gotten the cheaper fogger from say walmart and gets it to work please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok this is my first post, anyway so I did what you said Diabolik, which by the way I really want to thank you for! So I wired it up to one of the cheap timers from Walmart and at least for me it gave me problems. For some reason it only wanted to work with this one light I had and if anything else was plugged in, the timer would not work at all.
The push button on it worked though. I tried tweaking it but nothing wanted to work, so next I took and spliced one of my better fog timers to the plug and boom worked like a beauty. So if you or anyone else has gotten the cheaper fogger from say walmart and gets it to work please let me know. Thanks again.
Joey, These timers were made by Forum and did NOT work with any of my foggers. I have some of the Wal-Mart fogg timers here. I have not had a chance to take a look a one yet to compare it. If I get up in the attic this weekend I'll bring one down and take a look at it. I am suspect the wiring is just slightly different. I am pretty certain it will work. :) I'll update this thread with my findings.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tested this one one of the Walmart timers and it is NOT THE SAME !!! Hang tight. I am working out a solution to use these with the Wal Mart/ Target style timers. The wiring is definitely different in those timers and they are solid state as well, there are no relays in them as there is with the Forum timers I used for this hack. Hopefully I'll have an updated drawing for those timers here shortly.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,682 Posts
Are the target/walmart ones the Fitco timers ? I have several of the fitco & the circuit board is completely dif from your diagram.
Looks like you just opened the door to extended R & D....:eek:.... LOL But at least you gave us a possible solution that just requires a little more testing for each maker of dif timers.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are the target/walmart ones the Fitco timers ? I have several of the fitco & the circuit board is completely dif from your diagram.
Looks like you just opened the door to extended R & D....:eek:.... LOL But at least you gave us a possible solution that just requires a little more testing for each maker of dif timers.

I am not sure if it is the Fitco timer for sure, I'll have to look. The one I was playing with was from Wal-Mart and I know Target sold the same ones. Both of those worked on all of my foggers. The one I used for this hack, definitely did not. I just need to figure it out for sure. Don't want to see anyone blowing stuff up. :)

I'm also going to include connections for adding a relay. I am not so sure of the current capabilities of these boards since they are only controlling the fog machine's pump. I think adding a relay will make it a little more bullet proof. :D

1 - 20 of 75 Posts