Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need two foggers for two different props I'm building. First, the ubiquitous caldron creep with fog. What's a good recommended model there? I'll be building a chiller too.

Second, and this is a bit different. I've been inspired by OctART's glowing coal log to build a burned at the stake prop (lovingly called the Bone of Arc by my wife) with the coal bed and the stake will also be glowing. What I want to add is a small fogger to that prop so the coals on the bottom and the stake itself are "smoking". I think the effect of the fog being lit up will really sell the prop.

I would run both of these off of one machine. The problem is we have three boys and our house is the one that ties all the homes together that have children in the cul-de-sac and down the street. I can't be running PVC piping across the yard and these props arent' going to be close to each other lest the burning coals lose their visual appeal by being on top of each other.

So then I need a small machine to run that one prop, and a larger one to come out of the cauldron and fog the yard with that gorgeous creeping mist that I've seen in action on Youtube videos.

Recommendations on sizes and models? Some comments on Amazon make me cringe when it comes to foggers. Price is a consideration, but not a huge one.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
I'll recommend these all day, every day for just about any situation, but ESPECIALLY for fogging a prop.

Spencers, 700 watt machine with timer. $45:

http://www.spencersonline.com/product/fog-machine-with-timer11/

Why:

We can get COLD here on Halloween, and 400 watt machines can have a hard time keeping warm, the 700 watt machine has never been a problem.
Comes WITH a timer, other machines make you buy one ($10-$20 additional cost).
Small enough to do an individual prop, big enough a couple situated around can fill a yard.
$45, bang for buck, I'd rather buy 2 of these than 1 1000 watt machine.

The one negative I've had that is worth mentioning: The timer can not be replaced by one of the "universal" remotes available around Halloween. I had a couple timers go bad in some rain one year and learned this the hard way.

Whatever you decide get some quality juice. I like Froggy's. http://www.froggysfog.com/

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Specific to your Bone of Arc, here's me making a similar faux fire effect with one:

Thanks for the info. Spencers isn't showing any in stock, but I have three stores within 15 miles of the house. EDIT: One across the street from where I work has one in stock. Freaking sweet.

The smoke/fire effect looks fantastic in that photo.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Even though 400 watt fogger do a descent job. You probably should go with a 700 - 1000 watt fogger if you are going to supply two props. Especially with the cauldron creep. My cauldron creep needs a lot of fog to make it noticeable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 1000W Fogger from 1999 that still kicks ***
I did just buy a 400W from Spirit and used the 30% off coupon
it works pretty good and its smaller so going to use it for my creeper prop

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm biased, but once you spend the money on higher end fogger, you'll never go back. I have VEI 960 which (despite some issues with VEI when they came out) just crushes. DMX, timer, remote, continuous mode, it replaced three foggers. This will be it's fifth Halloween, though admittedly I've ever had any fogger die on me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts