Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am having problems with a fogger i have acquired it is a pro fogger v-945 and have completely already dismantled and cleaned the grout out. my problem is when i let it warm up and press the button for it too spray no fluid gets sucked into the line and it makes a tik sound loud and fast when the button is pressed and held. also the hose that went from the pump to the reservoir was brittle so i replaced it temporarily with a thicker inner and outer diameter hose and for it to fit cut to ends of the original and stuck it into the new one anyone know where to buy the original hose. (home depot, fish stores don't have). any suggestions?

·
Registered
955 Posts
What did you dismantle.

Did you actually take the pump apart? Also if you have clog in the heater, the pump will lock up from the back pressure. To find your problem you need to disconnect the pump from the heater. Then you can just use water to test to see if the pump is working. If the pump shoots out water, then you have the dreaded heater clog. This can be a minor or major problem. I had to boil my heater unit in straight white vinegar for about two hours to clear a clog in the heater.

Spinman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
both of hobby stores and mower places where too big they were not exact but i got something to work. Now about the pump yes i fully dismantled it soaked it in a clr type substance and it cleaned it and then i air gun dried it. so are u saying i should take the line off of the heater and turn it on? or something else. Also the filter element that goes into the reservoir is that replaceable where can u find them. but yes when i turn it on i hear just a fast tsk sound and no fluid gets sucked in

·
Registered
955 Posts
It sounds like the one way valve in the pump may be stuck. If it sticks open then the pump will just suck and then push back what it just pulled.

My pump has a brass screw about 1/2 " head diameter with a flat blade slot in it. If you remove this screw you will find three o' rings. This is the pump control valve. You may have the type of pump I sent you the link too. It has a more basic design and apparently it is common for a spring to fail on this pump. This spring when broken has the same effect as when the one way valve on my pump is stuck open.

Spinman

PS I think the Pro Fogger uses the same pump that I have on my Chauvet. I will describe my pump. It stands up right. The fitting to the heater sits on top. Identity on the pump could be P-8. It has a red quick release for the inlet tube. My pump uses a larger tube. Likely 1/4 " . I have a replacement pump I bought for parts. It has same components, except that the inlet size is smaller. Same style red quick disconnect. Dead giveaway is the valve. It is opposite side of inlet slightly offset from inlet.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Diagnose

Nice to deal with someone who is mechanically inclined.

So lets do some diagnostics.

Take the pump apart. Leave the valve in, but get to the piston.

When the unit is together the piston is held down to nearly its full throw downward by the stronger spring on top. When power is applied to the pump the diode cuts the cycle from 60 hrz full wave to 30 hrz half wave. This in effect pulls the piston up into the coil and releases it 30 times a second. When the piston is pulled up, this is the syphon phase. When it gets released from the magnetic pull of the coil, the strong spring forces the piston back down to it's home position which is the pump phase.

If you manually move the piston up and down, you should here the one way valve responding. You should also be able to actually get the pump to draw fluid into the piston chamber.

Go for it.

Spinman

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've cleaned... I've dismantled, cleaned with Lime-Away and reassembled... And I'm getting nothing. Things heat up, but no hum, no buzz and definitely no fog.

I'm pretty ready to toss TWO fog machines into the trash unless I can get some other suggestions from you guys...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Need more info.

I actually spoke to Losi on the phone to help him. First he took his pump apart, but when he reassembled he swapped the springs. Once we got that worked out, he was able to get the pump to work. It was then that he called me to tell me apparently there was a clog in the heater. I don't know if he was able to clear the clog or not.

As far as your problem, you are not providing enough info. The pump can be tested outside of the unit, but you need to understand circuits. The pump is a basic 115 volt AC device, but on one side of the pump circuit there is a diode. On my machine it was hidden inside shrink wrap in one of the wires that leads to the pump. I cut the wires and soldered in a deans plug, so I could test pump externally. I took a regular power cord and wired another deans connector so I could run the pump. I made sure the diode was in the circuit.

So I could test the pump without depending on the electronics of the unit. One other benefit is I can now pump fluid through the entire unit while it is cold. This way I can avoid the dreaded heater clog.

So if you want help, you can PM me.

Spinman

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here's what I wound up doing tonight...

1) Ran one of the cleaned pumps outside of the fogger and it worked fine.

2) Reassembled everything and plugged in.

3) No heat from the heating element (but the pump did work liquid through the machine (shooting out in the form of a thin stream).

4) Assuming the heating element is dead, I shifted the tested pump over to another problematic machine (but a machine that was getting hot).

5) Reassembled everything and switched on...

6) Fog. So at least I saved ONE of my "dead" machines this time.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good diagnostic work

The title pretty much covers it.

This is out of box thinking.
Good job.

As far as the heating element. If you have a fluke meter, you could check for resistance level. If you get infinite resistance it's toast. Pardon the pun.

Spinmman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts