Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I saw a fog screen at Fogscreen - Welcome to www.FogScreen.com! - its amazing... i am thinking of building something similar to display my magic mirror onto this year... this is soOo last minute though. However, I don't know where to even start :confused: :confused: :confused:. I am thinking PVC with holes connected to fog machine - but i guess it would have to be chilled.

Anyone build something similar? What parts did you use? Any good constant fogger machines out there? Any tutorials on how to build such screen?

Any help is very appreciated!

Phantom Dan
Coming Soon - dmarakowski.com/halloween - Magic Mirror!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Looks pretty cool,bet they are using a type of ultrasonic "mister" for the fog,extremely large hi output type, then no need for chillier....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Very cool idea. I'm guessing you would have to provide a fairly constant supply of cold fog. Perhaps a pvc pipe with a 2-kerf slice along its underside on a tablesaw would work.

Looks pretty cool,bet they are using a type of ultrasonic "mister" for the fog,extremely large hi output type, then no need for chillier....
They state that it's "dry"... is the mister a moist fog?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fogscreen is used at Disneyland's POTC, but it is fog and not water based since you go right through the fog and I've never gotten wet similar to going through a mist. The Fantasmic setup however does use a mist as the create the screens from the river and project from Tom Sawyer's island.

There's a thread on this - finish reading before the 31st! The trick is finding a fogger that continuously emits fog with good pressure, then simply construct a system to eject all of the fog in a line to create the screen- at least that's how it should work in theory...

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/66086-fog-projection-screen-success-video.html

Victor

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Keeping it as a curtain of fog would be the real challange.
The rate at which that fog is falling (and from what the website states, it's simply water, not a fog machine), it seems to be blown downward by a gentle, directional breeze.

So, you'd need some kind of fan setup, with baffles narrowing it down to a long, thin blade of air blowing downward.
You'd need a pretty good fogger, if that's what you intend to use, as the supply of fog needs to be constant (unless you rig up some kind of fog reservoir, which your machine can blow into, and it has some kind of small evacuation fan to blow it down a tube).
I guess a tube with dozens and dozens of small holes drilled in a line would work for emitting the fog evenly.

Just some beginning thoughts.

(edited: just had a look at that thread VE linked to...so the trick to keeping the fog screen cohesive is producing a laminar flow, which doesn't break up for a number of feet..nice!!)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
How about something more simple. Build a box (mirror shape) with a plexiglass or see through plastic (clear shower liner maybe) for the front (sealed). Pump fog into the box and it should stay there, then project your image.

You could even put a few pc fans on top (sealed in with the box) to push the fog around.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
there was a guy on here who built a laminar flow filter from a rack of drinking straws.

His design had a central channel for fog and two outer channels that he fed with ducted air from some fans.

The idea was to sandwich the fog between two flows of air, and it appeared to work pretty well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
there was a guy on here who built a laminar flow filter from a rack of drinking straws.

His design had a central channel for fog and two outer channels that he fed with ducted air from some fans.

The idea was to sandwich the fog between two flows of air, and it appeared to work pretty well.
What about the honeycomb plastic inserts that are in the open-top freezers at the grocery store? Might save you hours gluing straws together if someone could get a source for these.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts