Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my big project for this year. I started working on it in July and didn't really know if it was going to come together in time for Halloween. I've been wanting to do it for years but never had the funds or the time, but when my brother got a new projector he gave me his old one. So I made time, and scratched my brain and made it happen. I rear projected "Big Scream TV" through a thin sheet of fog and onto the second floor of my house. I set up the candy table in front of fog projection screen so that the ToTs would see the fog image when they came in for treats, and when they turned around they would see a 9ft image projected on my house. It was a big success. I hope you enjoy the video, I'm not that great of a cameraman.

Bentrod

video 1 Fog Test

video 2 Halloween Night

Pic

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lynn,

I don't have a how to, but I think I have some pictures of it at different stages of it being built.
I'll have to download them off my wife's camera, and hopefully be able to post them soon.

Bentrod

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DR.

I used a Lite FX Constant Fogger. I had one three years and it worked great that year, but the next year the pump siezed up, so I found another NIB on Ebay for $40 and it has worked fine so far. I ran the fogger for about 3 hours and had to fill the small tank about 3 or 4 times, but I probably used less that 1/2 gallon of fog juice.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Terrific! Congrats on getting that to work..Did you use any fans to guide the fog? I see the curtain goes up instead of down like the commercial version. I'm interested in how you did it too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, I don't know what to do. I know a lot of people would love to see a How-To on this project, and normally I would love to spill the beans on how I did it, but on Halloween night, a subdivision neighbor was really interested in how I made the effect, and said that he had connections with local commercial haunted attractions and they might be interested in buying it. I didn't think too much about it, untill earlier today when I got an email from him saying that he talked to a friend and showed him my video and that he was very interested. All I know is that I put a lot of time, sweat, and money into making this thing, and I am just curuous what kind of offer I might get. So my wife (Boss), told me not to post any more pics until I hear back from my neighbor. I really don't recall meeting this neighbor before Halloween, but he said that he has been to my house for the last four years, and that he really admires my work.

What should I do?

Bentrod

·
1,562 Posts
Well, a fog curtain display isn't new, Helio displays have been around for a while now, but do what you feel is right. Is any part of your design based on the vapor video projection curtains used already?( Meaning it uses fans in a row front and back to keep the curtain contained). If it is, then you might want to beware selling your design if it is derivitive or you might get a law suit. If it is entirely new, and never before done, then by all means keep it close to your vest and make some dough from it!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I too am interested but just by looking at the unit perhaps it was done this way

here is the top view of the unit

at the nozzle end affix a small diameter pvc pipe (one that snugly fits around the nozzle) with the other end closed. Drill multiple holes on the top of the pipe for the fog to come out. I'm assuming if there is sufficient pressure built up in the pipe you'll get that vertical fog just as it did in the videos.

I'm probably wrong but this seems to be the only cost effective way to create this effect

·
1,562 Posts
Sounds like it would burn through fog juice like there's no tomorrow no matter how it's made, since you need a constant flow to maintain the curtain.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Very cool
I had read another forum talking about a how to do this kind of effect from a well or curtain effect, like the image on Sea Quest and so on.

I would also like to learn about the projector
and how they do the faces on the Haunted M. ride at Disney.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just about any front projector (lcd, dlp, or crt) will be able to project a viewable image. Obviously, the higher the lumen, the brighter the image. For what was done here, the image seems pretty small, perhaps 50" diagonal or so, so any projector out there will be able to handle this will success.

The faces at Haunted house ride also used front projection. The busts of the actors where placed precisely where they were filmed to achieve the effect. What is more interesting is how they did the Buzz Lightyear head at Disneyland. The interesting thing is that the head pivots from side to side so I can only assume the projector is inside the body pointing up projecting the facial expressions through an opaque face plate.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts