Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone left vinegar in their fog machine? I left vinegar in mine last year and now its not working. The pump comes on but doesn't pump fluid. I took the pump apart and cleaned it up still nothing. The only thing I can figure is the vinegar messed the seals up. Just a last effort to see if anyone had advice.

I can order a pump its just a little late now.

Thanks

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,970 Posts
I can only say what my experience has been, without adding any advice from the pros or speculation on why mine still work. I own 2 extremely cheap, crappy foggers from Walmart and Target and one fairly decent Chauvet fogger. I clean none of them. Ever. My cheapos are both over 5 years old and the Chauvet is about 2 years old. I never let them get empty or run empty. I never clean them.I never run anything but fog juice through them. I store them 1/2 full of fog juice and dump it out when I bring them out of storage the following season, then promptly fill them back up with fresh juice without letting them ever dry out. My older 2 foggers look pitiful. They are filthy, rusted, and corroded. But they still work. Two $20 foggers that are over 5 years old, have never been cleaned, and never allowed to be empty or dry that still work as well as the day I bought them. That is my experience with my foggers. Take it as you like.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ohhhh no!! All 7 machines wont run?? Ugh!!! I have 2 chauvets. I always store them with the fog fluid in them. I dump it the next year and run distilled water/vinegar through...(about half of a tank) then I immediately refill with fog juice and run the machine a good 10 minutes. The juice lubricates the machine. Been ok so far. I'm thinking the vinegar dried your machines out. I'm not sure how to fix this😥😥 Best of luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've only used vinegar once. I cleaned out an, essentially useless, machine with it, rinsed and promptly added fog fluid to see if it had worked. It cleaned it out beautifully!
I'm guessing that leaving the vinegar in did some damage...?!? That's a bummer. I haven't tested my machine yet this year, I believe I left a little fog juice in it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmm.... I store mine dry. My good VEI is nine years old and my Spirit must be three. Never a problem with either of them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vinegar is great for cleaning the machines, especially ones that are clogged, but leaving it in there for storage is likely what caused your problem, if left too long, it will eat away at whatever it's in contact with - metal, seals and gaskets, etc. I do use the vinegar/distilled water to clean my machines out each year, but promptly put some fluid back in them for storage. 7 machines... ouch!!! I've never tried to take any of my machines apart (never needed to), but I would bet that the vinegar ate it's way through some of your parts if it was left in there. I'm so sorry, that really blows (and not in a good fog machine sort of way!)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Has anyone left vinegar in their fog machine? I left vinegar in mine last year and now its not working. The pump comes on but doesn't pump fluid. I took the pump apart and cleaned it up still nothing. The only thing I can figure is the vinegar messed the seals up. Just a last effort to see if anyone had advice.

Thanks
Same thing happened to me with my Professional grade machine. Used it for one year, cleaned it with vinegar now nothing. (I am glad I got it from a work display. $0) The machine was used for one tradeshow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last year was the first time I ran cleaner thru 2 cheap and one of my Chauvet.. none of them worked this year. So disappointing.. bought two swamp creepers this year, not going to risk any cleaners this year!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have found that using good quality fluid keeps my foggers working great. Good fluid uses steam distilled water which won't clog machines. I use Froggy's. After running that through all night, I run distilled water through the fogger to clean it out and the run a very quick blast of juice through the machine to keep the seals from drying out. I store for the rest of the year. Again, the biggest key is good fluid and you'll never have a clog. Stay away from the fog juice at target or Walmart. Good fluid is actually not much more expensive. I've even had bad clogs with Chauvet's fluid in my Chauvet machines!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
I know what you're talking about. I purchased a Chauvet fog machine a few years back and follow the instructions to clean out the tubes with a mixture of distilled vinegar and distilled water. The next year the pump didn't work. I called them in Florida and complained. I found out from another user on the internet that unless you refill the tank with fog fluid after cleaning, the pump will dry up and be damaged. I had since followed that advice and the machines work every year. The pump needs the fog fluid to stay lubricated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Vinegar is a mild acid. (it is a diluted solution of acetic acid and a few additives depending on what you're buying.) Leaving anything soaking for a year in the stuff can't be a good idea. I suspect your theory about seals being damaged is the culprit. While it pains me to hear about your loss, I am grateful that you posted it because now I know what to do with the two I just purchased last year. Thanks to all posting their advice on behalf of a newbie fog maker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts