Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh, had planned on working on projects today and the whole afternoon was wasted on fog machine nightmares. All I wanted to do was have some nice fog for a photo I wanted to take for our facebook page, to announce the hatching of the new spider queen.

So anyway some back story. Bought a fog machine our first year and a techno ground fogger the next. Both worked fine. Although the whole ground fogger thing could use a little more ground in it. Anyway last year we were rushed for Halloween and the foggers weren't turned on until the TOTs were coming. And of course the one we bought the first year stopped working. And it was the only one that had a nozzle that would fit in the intake of the fog chiller I built. So we made do with one fog machine.

This year we planned on getting another one to replace the broken one, but funds are tight. So I decided to attempt to repair the broken one. Looked up info and saw it might need to be cleaned. Vinegar? I have that. So I took them both out the other day and ran some vinegar through them. And presto they both worked great.

Unfortunately neither of the 2 vids I watched said anything about making sure you run fog juice through them afterwards. I was busy moving on to other projects and didn't even think about it myself. I should have known better. So several days pass and I decide to do my spider photo shoot. I take the ground fogger out, the one that worked originally, and guess what, no fog. What! I messed around with it for a while and nothing. Wanted to scream. Okay I can't do ground fog. I'll just use the regular one. Guess what!!!!!! Nothing. They weren't even sucking any fluid through the tube.

After researching and uncovering my mistakes I devised a half baked plan to attempt salvation. I used a meat injector I had, filled it with fog juice and plugged in the regular fogger. When it came up to ready I pushed the button at the same time I put pressure on the plunger. Poof fog! YAY! I switched it back to sucking from the bottle and let it run for a few cycles and it worked. Awesome! I am gonna fix the other one now... Yeah right. Like luck would be on my side a second time.

I heat up the ground fogger prepared my injector, and when ready I clicked the button. Puff puff, two little poots of fog. A little bit further and I got another then nothing. Not sure if it is dead or if there is some unknown miracle I haven't thought of yet. Any suggestions.

P.S. I really hate fog machines right now.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I feel your frustration, my hubbie has been trying to fix a couple that have stopped working as well. He is tinkering for curiosity more than anything as we have few still working. He figures if he has enough dead ones he will be able to repair and morph together a refurbished one. The cheaper ones almost seem to be throw away, shame bad for the envorinment.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have a "pro" fogger I spent about $240 for over 10 years ago.....I also bought about 5 - cheap 400watt foggers after Halloween sales for $10 each about 4 years ago....My brother gave me another cheap 400watt fogger a year later which brought me up to 6 of them.....Last year I bought a ground fogger, and 1- 1000watt fogger.....Grand total of 9 foggers in my inventory....The ground fogger didn't last one night but I had it over 30 days so I couldn't take it back so it got trashed.....This summer I went through and tested all of them....Out of the 6- 400 watt foggers....2 still worked even after trying the vinegar mixed with water trick....I threw 4 away and gave the other 2 that worked away with a gallon of fog juice...Like they'll last long enough to go through that much fluid...yeah right...LOL.....The 1000 watt still works but makes weird noises.....I'll keep it til it dies.....The "Pro" fogger is still going strong....Needless to say I won't be buying anymore foggers from Party City, Spirit, etc.......You really do get what you pay for.....ZR

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had to repair one of our foggers last year after it stopped producing fog. The motor would run but it didn't produce any fog. I use the same procedures to clean the foggers as i do with my mosquito fogger as the principle of the two are the same.

As long as the pump still works (makes noise when activated) it is probably a plugged nozzle/tube. The glycerine in the fog juice can solidify in the tube or nozzle and can be easily cleaned. First make sure the unit is unplugged.and is completely cool (if heater was on), I use a piece of wire that will fit through the end of the nozzle and thread it till it exits out the other end. This make take several attempts, and some poking and prodding to get the wire through. Once through, flush with vinegar, then fog juice.

And one more thing, i like to keep my foggers on for a while (10 min) after producing fog to allow the heater to burn off any remaining fog juice from inside the tip and feed tube. This helps to keep them from plugging up.

Hope this helps.

PLEASE NOTE MOST MANUFACTURES DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU DISASSEMBLE AND/OR REPAIR YOU FOGGER YOURSELF, DOING THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Tconahaunter
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing