Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever added a timed remote to a Chauvet Hurricane 700? I whimsically purchased a $30 machine but didn’t realize that it only had a manual remote button that is hardwired to the machine. Oops! I need to add a timer if I can.

If I open the machine, it looks like I can disconnect the manual remote that came with the machine and splice a new timed remote as long as the new remote is only 3-pins. Is this correct? Will any 3-pin timer work? What about the 5-pin Chauvet FC-T timer? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
the fog machine timer I have is said to work on most fog machines.
I got it from Home Depot but it looks the same as every one I have seen on U-tube. Made in China for use by lots of manufacturers?
It has a standard computer 3 wire power cord connection on it that plugs into fog machine.
I hacked the regular wired switch box that came with my fogger yesterday so I can have a motion activated fog burst.
It was three wires also going to the switch that has red led built in to tell you fogger is warmed up.
I spliced my relay onto the green and white wires as they were the ones that were switched by switch.
The black wire is for the red led warm indicator which you probably don't need?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't imagine that the timer wouldn't work for you electrically.... but here's my experience with timers:

I thought these timers were going to be the answer..... not so! It works but my dream of having a constant supply of fog hasn't happened!
I get a 25-40 sec burst from the little 400W fogger if I let it go full on with manual switch.
I speculate the variance in fog burst time is because the unit is either fully warmed up - thermostat just turned off or slightly cooled off - thermostat just about ready to turn on.
Then it takes 40 seconds to warm back up.
So about a 50% duty cycle with manual switch activation.

Now add the timer and 400W fogger won't keep up to 1/2 sec every 10 sec without going into reheat....? that is not even 10% duty cycle!
That is so little fog it is gone very fast! NO Good!!!! There ends my plan of constant fog bursts for witch cauldron...
I tried to go 5 sec on and 30 seconds off and still it won't keep up without reheat cycling...? WHY ????
I figured try timer at maximum blast time of 10 seconds as machine goes 25+ with just switch manual.
Even at 10 sec on and 30 seconds off it would lose heat and red led goes off for reheating.

I can only speculate that the timer and internal thermostat are working against each other somehow..????
The timer on 1000W fogger has similar effect but not as bad and I can get a setting that works on it.
So beware if you have a smaller fogger.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a relay hooked to the original switched wires of manual control and it is triggered by a PIR motion light that also turns on Zombie moving and fan to push fog up out of barrel all at same time. This has worked great as now as soon as he starts moving the fog comes on for the full 30+ seconds and fan blows it out.
This is the "best case scenario for my situation" with 400 Watt fogger and timer sits in the box not used....

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Chauvet 700 is incapable of running "on demand" or continuous because the machine shuts the pump off to heat the machine. Not all timers will work with the machine, you need to make sure that the remote is comparable with that unit. Using the wrong remote could cause damage to the machine or remote. If you want a constant running machine, you will need to upgrade to a commercial fog machine. If you just need short bursts of fog but "always ready", you can purchase a vertical fog machine pretty cheap on ebay (around $70)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Easy to do as I'm doing it, needed something for my dragon, Like you got the Chauvet 700 issue was the manual timer and knew couldn't have that and needed a timed one. After my research I just went the route of cutting the manual remote and splicing in the timer remote. I left alot of cord on purpose to hang it on cross braces to make it easier to get to and adjust if needed. It's real easy to do. Ran it last year and the first 2 weekends of october this year as that is when my campground haunt is and no problems even with fluid all over the remote from transporting, cleaned it up and worked like a charm again. I can't remember now exactly which timer I used but almost think it was one from Spirit and the Home Depot one is just like it had several and on a time crunch so just used it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If XREDGE can remember if they both have white green and black wires and he joined black to black white to white and green to green..... it would take all the guess work out of this...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry don't remember, I'll try to see how hard it is to tear back apart and check. Just a busy weekend with what the Wife wants me to do and won't be home much. It seems like it was real simple and they were like wired. I was doing this last second and at the campground last year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it working!! but the black and white wires were reversed between the fog machine and the remote timer. The timer came from Amazon - my local Home Depot and Spirit were not selling just timers. Lame!

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad you got it figured out! Hope you have better luck with timer fog than my experience....
I am interested to know if the Chauvet machine responds better than the Home Depot - Home Acents brand foggers? Hopefully your 700 Watt has better heat recovery than the 400 Watt model ?
That timer looks exactly the same as mine.... too bad they only allow up to 10 sec fog blast!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for anyone else trying this.... I found a video....
timer added to Chauvet 700 fogger
He says the colours of wires match direct....?
Which means some machines are wired differently..???
The wire colors within the Chauvet 700 seem to be the same between that video and mine. So the difference must be in the timer. My guess is that the wiring order within the timer is either proprietary to make it “brand specific” and/or less regulated.

As for performance, I will let you know. I have a Chauvet Hurricane 1000 as well from last year, and will have them both going this year. It will be interesting to compare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts