Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do some fog this yr and wanted suggestions on different machines. I will be making\using a chiller but didn't know which to go with. Do the machines sub $100 do a adequate job? Area filled will be approx 500 sq ft outside...might be more, dunno yet

Been looking at Eliminator 700 watt, CHAUVET etc and other brands.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
I'm not the biggest fogger expert but I have learned a few things. I have the 1050 Chauvet and I was surprised at how much fog it cranks out. In fact, so much fog that I may not be able to use it in the garage, I may smoke everybody out. But I think it will be more than enough for outside.

Here's something else to consider about fog machines: The bigger the fog machine the more watts it needs to operate. The 1050 stands for 1000 watts. Well, that will take about half of the allotted energy coming out of that circuit in the garage. Throw in a few lights and a prop or two and I'm at the limit. (1850 watts for a 15 amp circuit.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm looking to do some fog this yr and wanted suggestions on different machines. I will be makingusing a chiller but didn't know which to go with. Do the machines sub $100 do a adequate job? Area filled will be approx 500 sq ft outside...might be more, dunno yet

I have the VEI Pro-950 (i think thats the model). 1200 watts. I've been very happy with it. Cranks out a TON of fog, and it also comes with a controller that lets you smoke manually or automatically. I like the remote, as you can control the time between bursts, the duration of the burst, and the output (amount) of fog. You will pay more for this fogger, but it's well worth it. I think i might have paid about $250-$270. I also have three of the cheap-o fog machines (liteFX, etc) that work okay, but at oly 400 watts, you cant get a long burst of fog without the unit shutting down to reheat the coil (i think thats what it does).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm looking to do some fog this yr and wanted suggestions on different machines. I will be makingusing a chiller but didn't know which to go with. Do the machines sub $100 do a adequate job? Area filled will be approx 500 sq ft outside...might be more, dunno yet

I have a Chauvet 1050 I need to get rid of. 1 year old only used about 3 hours last halloween. PM me if you're interested. I'll set up a private eBay auction so we can get credit.

Here is a video I just made of it in action

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm not the biggest fogger expert but I have learned a few things. I have the 1050 Chauvet and I was surprised at how much fog it cranks out. In fact, so much fog that I may not be able to use it in the garage, I may smoke everybody out. But I think it will be more than enough for outside.

Here's something else to consider about fog machines: The bigger the fog machine the more watts it needs to operate. The 1050 stands for 1000 watts. Well, that will take about half of the allotted energy coming out of that circuit in the garage. Throw in a few lights and a prop or two and I'm at the limit. (1850 watts for a 15 amp circuit.)
Terra makes a great point. You have to be careful about how much power you are running through an outlet so you don't trip the breaker in the house.

I added plugs to some outdoor lights so I could tap into them for my props and use a separate outlet on a separate breaker for my fog machine

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys.. so far i have found (2) slightly used Eliminator 700 watt for bout $70 and was thinkn bout pulln the trigger on them, but the Chauvet 1050 sounds gr8 also, lemme know how much texmaster

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so American DJ 1200HD, Chauvet etc...how about MBT? Looking at the MBT FM860 or FM5000Z. Anyone have this and if so how much area does it fill chilled, as I will be using whatever I get for my yard.

Looking to get the most fog I can out of one machine for under $120, prob add another next yr

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think most people don't think of things along these lines, I know I didn't until it happened to me, so thought I would mention it.........

For me, this really is a horror story!

2 years ago we used fog machines in our graveyard in the front yard. Not sure about wattage, just some standard Wal-mart ones.

Well, during TOT, I am standing at the door handing out candy to a group of kids, and I see my fog machine go off, sending up a nice big plume of fog across the yard...... then I notice couple of younger TOTs running down the sidewalk towards the corner to cross the street, right after this big cloud of fog was rolling across the intersection and yep, you guessed it, there was a car coming! Fortunately one of the kids saw the headlights and stopped his friend just in time, cuz I don't think the driver saw the kids and sped right thru the foggy intersection.

Suffice it to say, the fog machines were turned off before the TOTs got to the other side of the street. That really could have been bad. Real bad!

Anywho, my point being: make sure you don't overdo the fog - sometimes less wattage is a good thing!

We still use fog machines outside, but only one small one, and we don't use a chiller for it so the fog will dissipate faster.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Have you looked at Spencer's? I recently picked up a 700 watt unit that includes a wired remote timer that controls duration and interval. Works excellent. And the price is right. $39.99 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think most people don't think of things along these lines, I know I didn't until it happened to me, so thought I would mention it.........

For me, this really is a horror story!

2 years ago we used fog machines in our graveyard in the front yard. Not sure about wattage, just some standard Wal-mart ones.

Well, during TOT, I am standing at the door handing out candy to a group of kids, and I see my fog machine go off, sending up a nice big plume of fog across the yard...... then I notice couple of younger TOTs running down the sidewalk towards the corner to cross the street, right after this big cloud of fog was rolling across the intersection and yep, you guessed it, there was a car coming! Fortunately one of the kids saw the headlights and stopped his friend just in time, cuz I don't think the driver saw the kids and sped right thru the foggy intersection.

Suffice it to say, the fog machines were turned off before the TOTs got to the other side of the street. That really could have been bad. Real bad!

Anywho, my point being: make sure you don't overdo the fog - sometimes less wattage is a good thing!

We still use fog machines outside, but only one small one, and we don't use a chiller for it so the fog will dissipate faster.
Well it shouldnt be a prob as i live on 2 acres and the st is quite a ways from the door\ yard i will be fogging, but a good point

·
Registered
799 Posts
I got my new 1250 today. Here it is along side my 1050

What does that ring do thats in the middle?

·
Registered
384 Posts
It is called a "Safety eye bolt". When you suspend unit from a rack, you need to fasten a safety chain from rack to bolt in case bracket fails. Don't want the horror scene to be a fog machine through the skull.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final Choice

So I think I'm gonna go w\ either MBT FM5000Z, MBT FOGZILLA FM860, Chauvet 1250, (2) of the Eliminator EF 1000, American DJ 1200HD or American DJ Dyno Fog 2.....

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate any input before I go ahead an buy....all of these are under $150

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so i ended up seeing the MBT FM5000Z on Fermata Music Studios, LLC for $107. The pic and description was for the FM9000Z. I ordered anyway and saw they used AIM for IM for questions.

I asked and they said the description was for the 9000 :( BUT...they ended up selling me the MBT FM9000Z for $169 w\ free shipping!!! So I now have my machine on it's way and reccomend them as they were very helpful and have killer prices from what I have seen.

-they just threw in some juice for it for free whoohooo-

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW...anyone have an MBT fog machine....I want to know if you have used fluid other than from the manufacturer and if that is ok...as when I run out I want to buy it locally and not order if I cannot find MBT fluid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts