Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finished building my zombie barrell pop up and want to have a 400 watt fog machine go off when the prop activates. So I have it plugged in all the time so it can fire on demand and it's warmed up correct. How do I make a relay to activate the switch on the fog machine to go off when the prop does. Can I go into a picaboo controller so it would be timed from that? Would it be timer to relay then out to 120v power cord to picaboo? Confused on this one. What relay would you recomend for this.

·
demonic animatronic
804 Posts
you didn't specify which picoboo you would be using but here are some options, you need a relay that has contacts rated for 120v as the fog remote will most likely use 120v, i would say use a coil rating of 12vdc or 24vdc you would connect the the normally open contacts of the relay where the switch is on the remote and then connect a power supply ( 12-24v depending on the coil voltage ) through the relay on the picoboo so that it triggers the fogger when the picoboo relay activates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depending on what you are using for automation (I am using some X10 stuff), I created a remote to replace the factory one. Using a Radio Shack project box, I mounted a momentary switch so I could generate fog at will, then I just used a 12v relay. I connect a power converter to it (used the 1/8" mono jack and plug) and plug the converter into a switched module. Once the device is triggered, power goes to the power converter which pulls the relay in, triggering smoke. Note: As this was thrown at me before, I will also clarify here. The power to the fog machine is connected to a constant power source, only the power to pull the relay is triggered.
Took me about 20 minutes to assemble it. Also, this depends on if you can get a connector to fit your machine. Mine was a standard 120V type, and I just needed a power extension cord that you would use for your computer and the like.

·
demonic animatronic
804 Posts
as far as i know that relay does not have a diode you can add one cheaply but if you are using a picoboo that is rated for 120v with relay isolation or just plugging the relay into a 120v source you might not need to worry about the diode as much as if you were using sensitive electronics on the same circuit, that relay should work great, i would recommend using spade connectors with it so that you can just crimp the wires and not solder. that relay has 120v coil so make sure you want to send it 120v to trigger the fog machine

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so let me get this straight. You come off the picoboo with your 120v then go into the relay. Then come out the relay to the push timer on the fog machine. I understand up to a point. Here is a picture of the timers crimps when I detached the casing. I think it's black(+) white(-) green/red no/nc correct? Which wires am I hooking to this relay?

·
demonic animatronic
804 Posts
i am not sure as a i can't see how they were hooked up in the remote but it looks like the red and green are connected together, this tells me that this is a common so the relay would go between the red/green and black or the red/green and white. if you can remember which wires were connected to the switch it would be very helpful.

·
demonic animatronic
804 Posts
i looked on another site at the remote and it looks like the white and green/red are the ones for the switch, an easy way to tell is by connecting these to the switch and pressing them if fog comes out those are the ones, if so these are the ones you would connect to the relay contacts. which ever wires were connected to the switch are the ones you connect to the relay.

disclaimer, attempt at own risk. be careful there is alot of voltage in that thing so never mess with the wires of the remote while it's plugged in

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
guitarist155,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This was very easy to do with your help. Relays are not that hard to work with. Now the fog comes into the picture when I want it to. I'll post the final product when it's complete. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts