Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a fog machine to my outside decor this year, but don't have a clue as to what I need to be looking at. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am thinking that I would want sort of an entry level machine, but am completely open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
I would highly recommend the Chauvet Brand. I bought my 1300w Chauvet hurricane last year for $150. (believe or not, that is entrylevel price lol )

This would be great coupled with a fog chiller and Froggy Swamp Juice.

I think amazon still has the deal (if you dont have one yet) that you sign up for their store card and you get $30-$50 off of the purchase.

Reactions: Caroluna

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll throw in my recommendation for the American DJ FogStorm series. I have the 1200, and it works great in my yard, coupled with the 4" perforated drain pipe and Froggy's fog.

You might also consider getting the optional timer, regardless of which machine you get. It allows you to set duration of blast and interval between blasts so you can fine tune to get just the effect you want without having to manually trigger the machine.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
DO NOT BUY A MACHINE THAT REQUIRES YOU TO PUSH A BUTTON! That's my $0.02

Like Eerie Erie Haunts said, you want a set it and forget it fogger. I use 1000W (I think) fogers from Spirit in my horses and cauldron creep. I don't crank out a bunch of fog, because I don't have time to refill them through the night.

I also have two VEI 950 Superfoggers on either side for pumping out lots of fog.

If anyone comes across a 400W with the automatic timer please post it here as the 1000W in the horses are over kill and I'd like something smaller. BTW, I've never had success with buying a separate timer...don't know why, but they don't work for me and I have a bunch of 400W ones laying around.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
DO NOT BUY A MACHINE THAT REQUIRES YOU TO PUSH A BUTTON! That's my $0.02

Like Eerie Erie Haunts said, you want a set it and forget it fogger.
Amen.

If anyone comes across a 400W with the automatic timer please post it here as the 1000W in the horses are over kill and I'd like something smaller.
I personally will always recommend the Spencers 700 W with timer machine. http://www.spencersonline.com/product/ss-700w-fog-machine-w-ledtimr/

I've had horrible luck with the 400W machines with how cold we get here, and these 700 W ones are perfect for fogging a prop or small area like you do with the horses. I've never had the MACHINES break in over 10 years, but the TIMERS like to break if they get wet (rain), and the "universal" ones you can buy will not work with these machines.

In fact, personally, I'd put 3 of them up against a $150 machine for most situations. The only thing the bigger machine would be better at is a fogout situation, fog curtain, or specific use like I did with my tomb a few years back. General use, I'll take the 3 smaller machines.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Which ever one you do get make sure you empty it by letting it run out of fog and dry it with paper towels. This will help extend the life of it. We bought ours at Party City and had it for many years. This year we have to replace it cause a piece broke off.

Reactions: Caroluna

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with Pyroaxplayer as I've been using a chauvet for years and was a dj in years gone by and they are by far the best. I would also suggest a timer kit with it that will enable you to start it and let it run. If you want low lying g fog you would need a chiller which there are several examples of on this forum.

Most importantly, always clean it before storage every year which is simply done with a 80% distilled water and 20% distilled vinegar mix. Empty any remaining fog fluid then put the mixture into the fogger and run for 10-15 minutes. Let cool. Empty and dry out with paper towels. Repack with the silica gel pack that came with it to help absorb moisture. It will last for years and best part is chauvet are repairable unlike the cheaper ones so it's a good investment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are not many instances where I'd say to splurge on devices for Halloween - but a fogger would definitely be one of them. Basically you get what you pay for. If you just need a basic model to get your through a simple night of trick-or-treating, then by all means buy the Wal-Mart or Target models. But if you are doing a serious haunt in which the fogger is going to be doing a major work-load, then you would be better off buying a higher end model (the industrial kind used by theatrical companies and DJ's, etc.) I learned this the hard way. You do NOT want to have to rely on a button to make your fog!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have 4 chauvet s going on the big night. I strongly recommend a timer , usually 15 to 20 on the Internet and a auto shut off when your juice goes low. You can damage these machines easily by tuning them dry. Finally I only buy one that can handle a continues fog, invest in a machine that handle handle the workload. I prefer the hurricane 1300. Check it out on you tube

1 - 11 of 11 Posts