Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some problems with my fog machine. It has been putting out subpar smoke. It is a 700w and I am used to it putting out quite a bit. It just putters a little. I have cleaned before storage with vinegar and water . Then ran it with juice before final storage. I have cleaned the tip and about to tare it apart. Any ideas before I break it? Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, more than likely...the pump is shot. It seems to happen SOOOOO often with these fog machings across all brands. My only suggestion is to remove the cover and "tap" the pump while plugged in to see if you can free it up. These are electromagnet pumps and there really is no impeller to lock up but I have saved a few in the past with a gentle tap and brought them back to life.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I have two of the LiteFX 400 watt foggers, pulled them out of storage last week, and one of them was having similar issues...lots of noise, but just a little smoke being generated.

...I've had this happen before...with this exact machine.

The problem is in the fitting on the output from the pump. This piece is not hard to remove (on the 400w machines), when you do, just run a thin piece of wire [highlight]VERY GENTLY[/highlight] into both ends, to clear out any build up.

This is the second time I've done this with this fogger, and now it's running like a champ...again...

...until next time...

(and I won't complain, as this fogger cost all of $10 dollars (with a timer!) after Halloween 4 years ago)

·
3,388 Posts
When you take the chassis apart, you'll have full access to the inner workings.

The fitting I'm speaking of on the side of the pump leading to the heater.
You'll find a length of copper tubing running from the pump to the heater, and it has two threaded pressure fittings on it. You'll need to remove that copper tubing to be able to unscrew the fitting off the pump (well...it's easiest to do it that way).

I recommend unbolting the small steel plate on top of the heater (has 2 wires connected to it), as it covers up the pressure fitting that connects the copper tubing to the heater.
Then, unthread the other end of the tubing, and you'll be able to pull the tubing loose from the fitting on the pump (takes a little wiggling).
Then, just unscrew the fitting from the pump, and clean it out.

Do all of this slowly, as there is a component in the pump on a spring - it shouldn't jump out when you take the fitting off (it never has on mine), but perhaps yours is put together a little differently.

Just put everything back together as you took apart, and give it a shot.

At least, that's worked for me twice now.

·
3,388 Posts
you guys are scaring me. How often does this happen and after how much use?
Actually, on mine, I think it's from dis-use during the rest of the year.
I've heard both arguments for and against packing them away with fog juice in them.

I've packed mine away both clean, and not, with and without fog juice - the one machine is always okay (last year, I left them with fog juice in the reservoirs), and the other has now clogged up twice...both are the same model.

Wish I had a good answer other than, keep them out, and run them every few weeks during the course of the year...I think I'm going to do that this year, and see if it keeps the machines lubricated, clear, and functioning.
(yeah...like I wouldn't like an excuse to run my fog machines other times during the year)

·
Banned
524 Posts
The problem a lot of people have is with storing them. You are suppose to store them full of juice to keep everything lubricated. The problem is a lot of people store their machines in storage buildings, sheds, attics etc. and extreme hit can cause the fluid to junk up or even evaporate.

So when you store them, store them in a cool dry place like back in their box then in a closet or someplace where the temp is controlled. The heat is not a fog machines friend.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I maybe got mine 4 or 5 years ago at Michael's, and nothing has happened to it. I store it with the fluid in my basement. So, try that I guess. This is not to fix yours, but for next time when you fix it.

·
3,388 Posts
The problem a lot of people have is with storing them. You are suppose to store them full of juice to keep everything lubricated. The problem is a lot of people store their machines in storage buildings, sheds, attics etc. and extreme hit can cause the fluid to junk up or even evaporate.

So when you store them, store them in a cool dry place like back in their box then in a closet or someplace where the temp is controlled. The heat is not a fog machines friend.
Heh, it's funny, as I store both of mine in a cooler (my fog chiller - doubles as fog machine storage when not in use), which I keep in my garage, and I live a half mile from the ocean in Southern California - there may be 5-6 days a year where the temp exceeds 90 degrees or dips below 40 degrees - the rest of the year is between 60-75 degrees, and not a lot of humidity.

...and I still end up with the one machine that clogs, and the other that doesn't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Friggin' Fog Machines!

Hey everyone, I have 2 Lite F/X 1741 foggers suffering the same problem. The units heat up, the pump sounds (very loud) but no juice is flowing through the tube. I looked at the screens and they both seem clean. What is up? Help!:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts