Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My fog machine is not working anymore. The only thing I can think of is that the little white plastic filter part on the end of the feed tube that goes into the juice tank is missing. Must have been thrown away by accident last year when putting away the Halloween stuff.

Does this sound like a possible cause? That little piece is THAT important?

The fogger I have is very similar to the one in this post:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/112758-fog-machine-autopsy-photos.html

You can see the part I'm talking about in the second picture - the little white thing at the end of the tube.

What do you think? Anyone have any luck getting replacement parts?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Halloweenie......i doubt that the filter is the cause of your problems, but to diagnose, we're gonna need a bit more info. What happens when you try to run it? noises? hissing? nothing? A fog maching works simply like an e-cigarette. Juice is drawn by a pump through a coil shich heats up the juice, then it's ejected by pressure through a nozzle i vapor form making what we know as FOG. The main problems with a for machine are usually 3-fold. #1 the pump is not working at all ir intermittently, #2 the coil is not working as it should or not at all, #3 the nozzle is somehow clogged by dirt and debris or deposits. If you can tell us more here, we can further help you with your dilemma.......cheers!....'Scruff

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
As ScruffyWolf mentioned, more info on what it's doing and not doing would help. Just a quick note on that pick-up fitting, in addition to being a filter, it also weighs down the tubing so it stays at the bottom of the reservoir. Without it, possibly your tubing is curling up in the tank and not staying submerged?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so...

1) I turn it on

2) It heats up - you can feel it getting warm and you can smell it a little bit

3) This machine has a little remote thing - and when the light goes on you can push the button to release the fog - yes, the light does go on

4) Press the button - and yes, you can hear the pressure working to push out the fog - but nothing comes out

So I think the problem is that the fog solution is not getting into the part that heats it up.

Also, now that I think about it - none of the fog solution gets used up - the same amount comes out that we put in (Duh!)

I checked to see if the tubing is curled up or going into the solution - definitely staying submerged.

So it must be that the problem has to do with the solution not moving through the tubing into the heating part. I don't see any clogs in the tubing.

Do you know what the problem might be?

Thank you so much for your help - I really appreciate it!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
The simplest, non-invasive thing to try is to get all the fog fluid out of the clear feed line to the pump (shake it, etc.), and then make a cup of a vinegar / water mix to use to try to break up any hardened fog juice (I'm guessing your pump is frozen due to hardened/gummed up fog juice deposits).
Pour the mix into the line, and shake the line in an attempt to get the vinegar into the pump, where it can do some good.
Wait a little bit, fill the line with the vinegar mix, and put the end of the line into the cup of vinegar mix.
Then, try running the fogger.

For a somewhat more aggressive method, disconnect the tubing lines from both sides of the pump, and use a baster (or similar) to force the vinegar / water mix into the pump.

Not going to say this is a sure fine method of unfreezing the pump, but it's the least invasive and complicated way to try.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, you can review this thread on pump repair
Fogger pump repair
and see if it does the trick.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
All good suggestions but the first thing I would try is remove the reservoir and hold it above the fogger as high as you can and still have the pickup tube in the fluid. Plug in the fogger and let it heat up, press the button and see if the fluid gets drawn thru the tubing. Sometimes the pump just doesn't have enough lift to get the fluid going thru a dry line.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree with Camsauce.....check that outlet nozzle. Some are made of brass and removable with a wrench......there is a hole in the center that you should be able to (carefully) insert a paper clip into and work it around (gently) to clear away any deposits that have hardened over the year being in storage (always empty your fog machine completely for storage)....re-assemble the for machine and test.....you may have to do this over again. If the fog machine is making a sound like your Keurig coffee maker then the pump should be working.......if you see little puffs of smoke then the heater could should also be working.....but if no steam is escaping the main outlet nozzle then that SHOULD be the problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

I have been playing with it all day today. No luck -

There is 0 fog being produced - the liquid for sure isn't leaving the tank / being pumped.

I'm thinking the pump is dead because it is almost completely silent when you turn it on - if I remember correctly, in the past you could hear something - I'm guessing the pump - immediately start working after plugging it in.

This fogger was purchased in 2004 or 2005 - how long do these things usually last? It is definitely not a "high end" model haha. Maybe I am lucky that I got a good 10 or so years out of it.

They have this thing in my city called a "Repair Cafe" where volunteers from the community come in and try to fix your stuff for free. Thinking of trying that - I'm not so sure I feel comfortable opening it up myself... The thing is lousy with "Warning Do Not Open! Danger!" stickers. It's a little off putting...

Thanks again for your help. I'll try the cafe thing and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

I have been playing with it all day today. No luck -

There is 0 fog being produced - the liquid for sure isn't leaving the tank / being pumped.

I'm thinking the pump is dead because it is almost completely silent when you turn it on - if I remember correctly, in the past you could hear something - I'm guessing the pump - immediately start working after plugging it in.
I think you might be mistaken about that, the pump only runs when the timer calls for fog or when you press the manual button after the "ready" light comes on.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Foggers can last years if maintained and stored properly. I've had my Chauvet Volcano (and 2 others) for about 12 years or so now and it works like the day i bought it. NEVER store it off season with juice in the tank.....and make sure it's properly drained completely before storing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

For anyone who might be interested -

I took my fog machine to a local "Repair Cafe" today to see if someone there could fix it.

The man helping me was great - took it apart - tested it - figured out that the pump is broken and cannot really be fixed.

He said I could replace the pump but it would cost more than the machine. There was nothing else he could do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my pump by finding a small spring in the middle of the pump and reattaching the small black stopper on the other end with a sandwich bag wire. Super simple. Just need the wire, crescent wrench, Phillips screwdriver, and something to pull the little spring through. My fog was not working until I found out that it was the pump that wasn't pumping. I took the copper tube off the pump turned it on and there was no fluid coming through. Once I removed the black screwed in part of the pump with the crescent wrench a small silver cylinder fell out. Inside the small silver cylinder was the little spring and on the other side (after pulling the plastic part off) was the little stopper that had come apart. There is little hole in the stopper indicating that the two were attached. I reattached them then it worked. I hope this helps someone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts