Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Haunters, we seek your help! This would be our 3rd year haunting and we have never managed to get the fog machine to work. I mean, it works indoors, but when we plug it outdoors, it blows the circuit and it won’t fog anymore until we turn it on again the next year. Even if we reset the circuit breaker, the machine still doesn’t produce fog until we put it away for a year and take it out again and plug it in, indoors. We figured the outdoor plug doesn’t have enough power. So how can we make this work?

We thought about cracking the front window open and running the cord from the inside plug out to the machine. But even so, the cord is not long enough. Can I use an extension cable? I’m afraid I’ll blow the fuse or circuit again and maybe damage the fog machine for good. Does anyone have any other ideas?
By the way, we have the Chauvet Fogger 1050 and we will be using a trash can chiller. The last 2 years, we wasted a lot of ice because by the time we turned on the fogger, the circuit breaks.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Agreed. Sounds like an underpowered breaker to me. Foggers draw a lot of amps when heating. I looked at the manual for the 1050 (1000 watts) and it uses a 10A fuse, so it must draw pretty close to that from the circuit. 1000 watts/110VAC = ~9 amps. The fogger may "surge" a bit when the heater turns on - this can cause a demand spike on the line that can pop the breaker but not cause the Slo-Blo fuse in the fogger to fail. Take a look at the circuit breaker that keeps popping - it may be too small for the fogger, or it may have other devices (refrigerator, lighting etc) running from it, something that is already drawing enough current to cause the problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It won't hurt to use an extension cord, and grab power from another circuit in your house that doesn't have a large load on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
But it is weird that once you reset your house breaker, the machine still does not respond. Like it has a breaker or fuse in itself (that is able to reset after a long period of time).

I agree, find a circuit in your house that is lightly loaded (ie not the fridge, ac, heavy lights, etc) and use a good extension cord to use that outlet. By good, I mean something at least 18guage, 16 would be better. And as short as possible that will still reach the outlet.

Google you machine model and see if there is not a resettable fuse or breaker on the machine itself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*sigh*

This would make it the 3rd year now that it didn't work.. AGAIN!

This time we had it plugged inside because we tested it inside, and it worked but I guess it's still not enough power. So we're giving up.

Went to Party City and bought a 1000w ground fogger for $24.99. I hope this will solve our problem next year... =\

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's nothing worse than a breakdown on Halloween night! I had been looking forward to halloween night and was so nervous something would break down or not work as expected. Fortunately, everything worked without a hitch. Good luck next year!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
*sigh*

This would make it the 3rd year now that it didn't work.. AGAIN!

This time we had it plugged inside because we tested it inside, and it worked but I guess it's still not enough power. So we're giving up.

Went to Party City and bought a 1000w ground fogger for $24.99. I hope this will solve our problem next year... =
You either have it sharing a circuit that is already drawing a heavy item,a breaker that is under amped , possible that the breaker just needs replacing due to age-i have a lot of that with my customers, if your fogger is drawing too many amps for the line/plug/breaker on an old line can cause you probs. & if you use an ext cord,use the thickest gauge you can.The longer the line/draw the resistance is greater.I am in the marine biz & use 10 gauge shore cords for my outside props-being a get them for cheap- they keep power needs were i need them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Need big cord.

I have a 1250 Chauvet.

Now it appears that from other thread, it does not pull 10 amps which is about the load 1250 watts on a 115 circuit would require. I ran an extension cord from the back of my house all the way to the front. That is a distance of about 60 feet. I also power a fan and various lights, strobes and low wattage devices. My extension cord is one of those big industrial orange cords. 14 guage I believe.

So first you need a real extension cord that can handle the amps. If you use to small a guage cord, it will get hot and heat increases resistance which increases load and that is likely what is popping your breaker. Most homes are wired with 15 amp breaker for standard circuits. So bottom line you must consider everything including the cord when dealing with overloading a circuit.

Spinman

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
You might have an internal short in the fogger, when it heats up things get hot and expand causing a short, which trips the breaker, after its sat for a while and cooled down things contract and the short is gone. It could be a bad soider joint, a corroded or loose connection really hard to tell.

If you using an outside circuit that is a ground fault they are designed to trip if they detect current leakage.

If its an inexpensive fogger I would set it aside and get another one or two. I use at least two and have one in reserve as one always seems to quit working at some point during the evening. Of course I am using the cheap $20 foggers from wallmart/target.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts