Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a beast of a fog machine ( Antari ICE-101 ) and I love it. Problem is that it's too good and I'm afraid of alarming the neighborhood and thinking it's a fire. Do any of you have a protocol or notification in place for your neighbors and/or fire/police to prevent any false alarms and unnecessary wasted tax payer dollars?

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
We almost had the same issue last year; the first year we used Froggy's fog in our 1000w machine.
Gigantic cloud of low-lying fog covering acres of land, rolling toward the town fire department.
We switched over to a 400w machine before it became an issue.

We worked with our fire marshal this year, so they know we use fog.
If it appears thicker than expected, we will call to let them know what's going on.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would alert all your neighbors so they won't call 911. Other than that, there isn't much else you can do. If someone calls and reports smoke in the area, the fire department will have to respond. It doesn't matter if the fire department knows there is no fire problem, they still have to respond and verify if someone calls it in. I am a firefighter and we often respond to fire alarms, and fire investigation calls multiple times.

It often goes like this....
A call will comes in.... we respond.... we verify there is no fire problem and return to our station. As soon as we get comfortable or start to eat dinner for the third time, another call comes in for the same address we just went to.
We respond....we verify there is still no fire problem and we return to the station to do it all agin in a few minutes.
Now there is some paperwork and radio communications with dispatch to document the situation about what is occurring and why. But if someone calls dispatch and reports smoke in the vicinity we will respond again.

There is simply too much of a liability for a city or fire department to not respond. So we will respond every time someone calls 911. Even if we know it is B.S.

Reactions: duckstruck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll let the neighbors know ahead of time.
I currently use Froggys Fog bog fog, but if it sticks around too long I'll switch to one of theirs that doesn't hang around as long.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
There is simply too much of a liability for a city or fire department to not respond. So we will respond every time someone calls 911. Even if we know it is B.S.
One of the, if not THE, biggest problems in the U.S. today. Everyone is deathly afraid, with good reason, of getting sued. It cripples innovation, growth, and common sense.

Stepping off soap-box..........now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is definitely much bigger than I need. I allow myself one ridiculous 'toy' each year regardless of hobbies, and this year that was the one. For fun last weekend I put it in the house with some Froggy's Fog bog fog and it took less than three minutes to fill the entire first floor with fog, five minutes and you couldn't see anything. Downside was it took almost a half hour with all windows and doors open to clear the house. Lesson learned is it's a graveyard fogger or at least use velocity fog for the inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has anyone here ever used dry ice to create fog? my current fog machine fills the air and I just want some low lying and long lasting ground fog. ideas? or should I invest in something expensive that does it? Party coming up soon!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This might help, Get a 5gal bucket and some 3in flex dryer tube then cut a hole in the 5gal bucket feed the 3in flex tube though it. conect to fog machine and put a bag of ice in the five gal bucket. this will make the fog heavy and low to the ground. Halloween is a time for fun foe all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
one night i was out with a friend about 1am or so and really fogging up the neighborhood---all of a sudden from the bottom of the hill i hear a heavy diesel engine sound and a blinking light. I thought to my self--Oh Sh*@!!! here comes the fire department. Moments later it was a garbage truck--I nearly shat myself.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Sorry I'm laughing about this one. When you use the fog machine does it smell like smoke and a burning house ? I got to check a video on this machine. I think it's nosey neighbors if there is no fire then what are they seeing ? Just saying....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
has anyone here ever used dry ice to create fog? my current fog machine fills the air and I just want some low lying and long lasting ground fog. ideas? or should I invest in something expensive that does it? Party coming up soon!
Check out plans on the forum for DIY fog chiller. Great way to make low lying for on the cheap.

·
Registered
175 Posts
All the houses around me know we use A LOT of smoke in our displays (4500 watts worth) so it has never been an issue for us. I would suggest simply talking to them and letting them know what your plan is and what to expect.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If it is a concern, can't you chill it so it hugs the ground and then do short bursts? This is my first year to do anything and planned to use a chauvett 1000 with froggy's cyro freeze in my front yard cemetary setup and like the OP am hoping not to alarm anyone. So, that was my thought on a solution - chilling so it's low lying and realllllly short periodic bursts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts