Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 fog machines in our front yard display. I like there to be a constant haze over the yard, but not too much fog. As you could guess, I am out there every night changing the settings on the timers to achieve just the right amount of fog. Does anyone know of any software that can calculate the wind speed from, say, weather.com, and connect to fog machines via DMX to control how much fog is put out based on how windy it is? I know it's a long shot, but how hard would it be for someone to write such software?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, it could be done, but it might not be worth all that effort. One could get wind speed data easily enough from weather.com because weather.com has an xml feed you can tap into. The remotes on the fog machines would have to be modified so that a computer-controlled relay triggers each fog machine. The problem is that the data from weather.com is probably not good enough. Most weather reporting stations only report weather once every hour, sometimes more often if there is inclement weather. Plus the wind at the weather reporting station probably won't match the wind at your house, even if it's a mile away from the weather reporting station. What you really need is an anometer (sp?) in your yard to give you real-time wind speed. You're going to have to do a lot of calibration to get the results you want, and this is going to take a lot of time. Keep in mind that if you have a strong amount of wind, then there's really nothing you can do... you're 3 fog machines are going to be putting out max fog and it's going to blow away right away, ruining the effect. Anyway, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. It would be easier to just manually adjust the timers on each of the 3 fog machines based on the wind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think your best bet would be find some one or learn how to write it yourself but you will make some cash off that type of softwhere so when it done let me know I will buy a copy of you I use 4 foggers myself (each corner of the yard

·
Registered
574 Posts
Forget weather.com. The area covered by each "forecast" is rather broad. You'd be better off getting an actual Anemometer or multi-instrument weather forecasting system that includes one with a serial or USB interface. Of course, the price of this toy is $100-200, and, you'd still need to work out a way to control those foggers. This is probably not a project you'll want to begin within a month of the big day...

Craig

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YeH, maybe not for this year. I figured there would be a lot of callibration needed. The fox machines can already be controlled via DMX, so the hardware would just be the enttec open dmx unit. It would probably be better to buy the equipment to measure wind speed like you said. So it looks like it's just a matter of writing the software. That's way beyond me, but like was already said there could be some big money in writing that software, including a purchase from me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts