Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I found a fog machine at a garage sale and bought it. I looked it up when I got home, and it is from Party City. So I went to buy the "fog juice" today, and saw there was cleaning fluid as well. Is this something I need to buy? The salesman said it's a good idea if you use it a lot. Since I bought it used, I'm thinking I should get it. But I wanted your opinions. Thanks!

julie

Typical Ghoul Next Door
I've never used cleaning fluid on any of my foggers, so I'm not aware of the advantages of using it.

I would not take a store employee's recommendation to buy something from their store as being unbiased, so hopefully some others on here will post why or why not to get it.

Going bump in the night..
I agree with Frankie's Girl, I've never used cleaning fluid in any of my foggers, and I'm not certain I've ever seen a solid reason for actually using the stuff.

Having said that, I know there will be others who will give good and well documented reasons why they DO use the cleaning fluid.
And then those who will tell you not to. Or sometimes.

The only thing I've discovered that seems to be a sure fire way of keeping your machine healthy, is to run it every 2 or 3 months for a little bit, to keep fog fluid from sitting in the lines and pump, and hardening into deposits and gunk that will kill your machine. I've been doing this for years, and it seems to be my best option.

...and a "legitimate" reason to have fog throughout the year!

Registered
Only 'cleaning' I have ever done is flush it with distilled water. (Doesn't have any minerals in it so it doesn't clog) I think the cleaning fluids are just rip offs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! I read the ingredients of the cleaning fluid and it said that it was basically distilled water. That's what got me thinking that I may not need to buy it. The store employee was actually not trying to hard-sell me... he just said if I used it a lot, it might be a good idea. But I think I'll return it (I did buy it because I had a coupon... LOL...) since the consensus is that I don't really need it. Thanks again! I'm so excited I finally have a fog machine of my very own. Hahaha. I'm a dweeb.

Registered
Thanks all! I read the ingredients of the cleaning fluid and it said that it was basically distilled water. That's what got me thinking that I may not need to buy it. The store employee was actually not trying to hard-sell me... he just said if I used it a lot, it might be a good idea. But I think I'll return it (I did buy it because I had a coupon... LOL...) since the consensus is that I don't really need it. Thanks again! I'm so excited I finally have a fog machine of my very own. Hahaha. I'm a dweeb.
I would take it back if I was you. You can buy a gallon of distilled water for like a 88 cents LOL.

Registered
It probably is distilled water and vinegar. But...I had a "dead"fog machine that i tried using a distilled water and vinegar solution recipe that I found on the internet. It didn't work. The next Summer I got a fog machine at a yard sale...that didn't work either. That fall I saw the fog machine cleaner at Spirit. I bought a bottle, used it in the yard sale fogger, and it worked. I then pulled out my 2 year clogged fogger, poured some cleaner in...and it came back to life. So, I do 't know if there was anything different with the store bought cleaner (added cleaning or lubricating agents, etc.) but I can't argue with success.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
So I finally got my machine down from the attic. And I have my fog juice. And... it's not working. It powers up... the lights come on... it hums away... it shuts down to reheat... but NO fog comes out. I'm not sure what to do. As many of you mentioned above, I may need to clean it.... with a solution of vinegar and distilled water. What proportions do you recommend? How long should I let it run with the cleaning fluid in it? Thanks!

Registered
I have a handful of decent machines. I haven't really done any halloween stuff for probably 4 years. I decided I would do something this year and pulled the machines out to find that my Hurricane 1100 wouldn't work. I suspected the pump, went searching and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGsl-0QmaAM

It took me all of about 5 minutes to disassemble the machine and pump, clean it out and put it back together in working condition. If you machine as a similar style pump I would totally recommend doing this if you have any clogging problems.

What gets me, is according to froggy's you rinse the machine, put the cleaner through rinse the machine, and then put fresh fluid back through it. I would have thought that leaving the normal fluid in the system would lead to clogging from the glycerin solidifying over time.... but I'm no chemist and don't know anything other than my gut feeling.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
So... this is so weird. I tried running vinegar and distilled water through the machine. It didn't work. Then I noticed a "chamber" at the top of the machine. I opened it... and it's obviously for dry ice. NOWHERE on the box or in the directions does it mention anything about dry ice. I'd done an online search for this particular machine, and nowhere did I find any mention of dry ice. But when I searched the model number and "Dry ice" it came up that yes, it did require dry ice to work. So I went out and bought dry ice... and it still doesn't work. I may just have to give up at this point. If any of you have fog machines that use dry ice, let me know any tips I may not have thought about. Thanks.

Registered
So... this is so weird. I tried running vinegar and distilled water through the machine. It didn't work. Then I noticed a "chamber" at the top of the machine. I opened it... and it's obviously for dry ice. NOWHERE on the box or in the directions does it mention anything about dry ice. I'd done an online search for this particular machine, and nowhere did I find any mention of dry ice. But when I searched the model number and "Dry ice" it came up that yes, it did require dry ice to work. So I went out and bought dry ice... and it still doesn't work. I may just have to give up at this point. If any of you have fog machines that use dry ice, let me know any tips I may not have thought about. Thanks.
Can you please tell us the model or type of machine. Depending on the unit you could use regular ice but the effect ma ynot be as strong. The machine doesn't need dry ice to function unless it's simply a dr ice fogger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts