Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got all my props created , well all I'm going to do this year anyway.
I've never gotten into lighting & fog, so far but I believe it's time.
Please share your advice on fog machine's & juice for outside use.
Most importantly please share why, like it hangs low etc or does or doesn't hurt eyes or lungs.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,447 Posts
Two things about using fog outside:

Fog is hot, and heat rises. So if you have cool ambient temperatures, you are going to be fighting to cool your fog down so it stays lower instead of acting like smoke/steam and mostly rising up to disappate. Check out fog chillers (there are simple and easy ways to do this).

Wind is the enemy. Even a gentle breeze will whisk away all your fog. If you have anything steady/blustery, then the fog effects are likely going to be a losing battle. You can attempt to contain an area, using fencing/wind breaks made of props/decor or work with any natural environment (like a berm/landscaping area that could contain a portion of the effect) but keep in mind the weather conditions so you know whether to bother on the big night. ;)

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
corrugated drain pipe, that you can get at lowes, for example, although is not as good as a fog chiller, has an excellent result in keeping fog "lowish", and wetting the grass also helps keeping fog low to the ground ... frankie's girl has some good advice ... she's been around for a while, so heed her wisdom ... i don't mean that she's old, just experienced :)

yes, froggy's is the brand to get :)

fog machines are more difficult to recommend ... generally more expensive one's are better, but it mainly has to do with your application ... do you want to fog out your block or just have enough fog for lasers? how large is the area you want to fog? maybe you want/need more than one?

amk

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,447 Posts
I'm old like fine wine. Covered in a layer of dust and cobwebs, languishing away in some damp basement... :D

Totally agree with annamarykahn, I love the black corrugated landscaping pipe for directing the fog and it helps to allow it to cool down somewhat before hitting open air. I also line it with frozen single serve water bottles (add a bit of salt so they stay frozen longer) and they help too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are looking for a solution that is ready-to-go out of of the box, I recommend the ADJ Mister Kool II for $180 on Amazon. It is 700 watts and has a small fog chiller built in. I have a small townhome postage stamp front yard, so I didn’t have anywhere to hide a homemade fog chiller. 700 watts is PLENTY for my usage. I actually set the timer to send out a short 2-5 second blast every 1 minute. Anymore is just too much.

I have tried regular ice and dry ice in it. Both work surprisingly well, though the dry ice (available at some grocery stores) works best at keeping the fog nice and ankle-level (provided there is no wind). I bought about 12 pounds of it for a trial night. I used a little bit initially to get the machine cool, then added most of the rest, and it lasted from about 7:00pm to 11:00pm. When I opened the chamber at the end, there was still some left. Note that it can’t be refrozen in a freezer... it isn’t cold enough. Plan to use whatever you buy the day you buy it. What you don’t use, just let it evaporate. Another big advantage of dry ice is there is no water to drain, other than whatever condensation forms on the fog machine. By the end of the night, the fog output area was covered in a layer of frost from the dry ice actually freezing the condensation!

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
I'm also a huge fan of the corrugated perforated drainage pipe filled with cheap ice from Costco. If you can, wet down the area where you want the fog to cling to as well. Froggy's Freezin Fog Juice and a 1000W cheapo Fog Machine with a timer complete the effect.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would get something cheap for this year as time is running out, whatever the local box stores have. For future Halloweens I would invest in a good commercial fog machine with a volume control. You can get a used one for a few hundred dollars, and it will knock the socks off of any of the box store or DJ models. I would have a separate chiller module for chilling the fog, plenty of designs on youtube, and pretty cheap as well. As far as fog fluid, Froggys Fog is one of the best. There are others out there. In my experience, any fog fluid sold in a transparent container is good stuff. If it's sold in a non-transparent container, don't get it (Froggys being the exception).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts