Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there...have read a lot about references to Fog Chillers....can someone tell me what this is? We have a fog machine but not a chiller...looks cool! Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on where you're at in Indiana, my experience for the last 3 years has been that the cold ground (been in the low 40's at night) almost attracts the fog coming out of the fogger and it hugs the ground. (If you're using it outside...) If you want low lying fog inside, I read almost everything out there and came up with probably the cheapest solution yet:
I have a 400 watt fogger and place a 2 foot section of 1 1/2 PVC over the fogger output. Inside the PVC I have taken 3 reusable ice packs that I have frozen and thawed and place them into the PVC. At the end of the PVC I have a wide vaccum cleaner attachment and it puts out ALOT of spread out low lying fog...Put a towel under the end for thawing, and it's been great! Hope it helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Aloha, the way I do this is I got a 30" piece of 5" diameter black pvc pipe. Put chunks of dry ice in the pipe and put one end of the pipe at the fogger and let er rip. The dry ice vapoizes and there is no water from ice cubes.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...this seems to be the effect I am going for :)
BTW Im in Indianapolis...

·
Registered
814 Posts
The absolute best Fog chiller can be found here.

Nothing else comes close.

Very simple to make and extremely effective.

To really get the best effect use dry ice.

The cooler fog chillers don't work because the pipe is far too short. Using the trashcan and the coil, you can triple the amount of time the fog passes through the chiller making the fog even heavier keeping it on the ground longer.

Ghosts of Halloween

·
Registered
421 Posts
LOL, Tex.

I've built both the trash can chiller and two vortex-like chillers. They all produce great cold fog.

The trash can chillers do work well, but if you don't have the room for a trash can standing around, or don't want to bother trying to hide one or the dryer hose gets ripped, then they are definitely not the "absolute best Fog chiller". :)

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
The trash can chiller works better without the drier vent hose. Much more ice/fog contact and a longer soak time.

I've made chillers useing just about everything, coolers, coiled copper tubing, even one utilizing an air conditioner. I'd have to say that overall, the trash can chiller is the best.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The trash can chiller works better without the drier vent hose. Much more ice/fog contact and a longer soak time.

I've made chillers useing just about everything, coolers, coiled copper tubing, even one utilizing an air conditioner. I'd have to say that overall, the trash can chiller is the best.
If you don't use the hose, then what do you use?

·
Registered
814 Posts
LOL, Tex.

I've built both the trash can chiller and two vortex-like chillers. They all produce great cold fog.

The trash can chillers do work well, but if you don't have the room for a trash can standing around, or don't want to bother trying to hide one or the dryer hose gets ripped, then they are definitely not the "absolute best Fog chiller". :)
Well they are unless you employ your special circumstances.

But 1 on 1 nothing I've seen beats the trash can chiller

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've made both the dryer-vent-in-a-can and the Vortex-style, and I like them both, in terms of the fog they produce. I have noticed a problem with the dryer vent kind, that the vent can get crushed by too much ice, or it can get filled with water and block the fog from coming out.

For now, my vote is with the Vortex type.

I leave my trash can right in the middle of my graveyard, with a cloth over it. This year I bought an obelisk tombstone from Target and will turn the can into a monument.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought a fogger this year and i'm building a trashcan like chiller prop, but was wondering what if any difference the diameter of hose makes? Should I use 3" or 4" and is there a length that would be too long or the longer the better?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts