Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to dive into my first fog chiller. I just bought a 70 quart ice chest. I thought to pipe the fogger by zig-zagging pvc through it to keep from direct contact with the ice and reduce melting.

Also would too many elbows back up the flow? If so would a 80mm pc exhaust fan help with the pull placed at the exhaust end, or would it dissipate too much? Does dry-ice make the pvc too brittle and cause cracking, or a mix of it and water ice the way to go to keep the water ice from melting and restocking so much? Is pvc a good enough heat and cold exchanger?

Questions, questions, questions... LOL.

All tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Too many elbows will reduce flow,and I am not sure if it will cool very much thru pvc.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay no one wants to step up? Guess I'll just experiment. :D

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Sometimes direct contact with the ice is better. Also if the fog got backed up that is a good thing. Generally the fog just shoots right through and doesn't really have time to cool

·
Registered
121 Posts
I will be working on my first fog chiller next weekend and from the designs I have seen direct contact with the ice seems to be the way to go. PVC is pretty thick and I don't think it would transfer heat too well. You could use metal pipe but that seems pretty expensive. I plan on doing some sort of vortex design pumping the fog into a expansion area then through ice and out of the other side.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have some left over dryer conduit I might use as long as I'm careful not to break the foil... (use all the junk you have on hand already). :)

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Do a search for "Vortex chiller" here. It'll give you all the tips you need. Pack a lunch - there's a lot of info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The best fog chiller I have made the fog goes through the ice. I have made 3 chillers and the best 1 goes through the ice. The other 2 were junk. I used dryer conduit in 1 and it didn't cool down enough. I know you really have to play with the setting to make sure the fog has time enough to chill before the fogger fires again. And you don't want to shoot to much fog that it gos through with out chilling. Also here is a tip. Add salt to your ice it will get about 5 degrees cooler. Add salt to your cooler at your next pic-nic and see how cold your sodas get.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best fog chiller I have made the fog goes through the ice. I have made 3 chillers and the best 1 goes through the ice. The other 2 were junk. I used dryer conduit in 1 and it didn't cool down enough. I know you really have to play with the setting to make sure the fog has time enough to chill before the fogger fires again. And you don't want to shoot to much fog that it gos through with out chilling. Also here is a tip. Add salt to your ice it will get about 5 degrees cooler. Add salt to your cooler at your next pic-nic and see how cold your sodas get.
Was is it possible that the medium around the dryer conduit wasn't in contact enough? Maybe submerged enough into the cold melt water?

Lordy I know it isn't an exact science but there has to be a happy medium? LOL

·
Registered
39 Posts
The fog will only chill when in contact with the ice. I have tried many variations on an ice chiller, and this one is really the only one that works. If you can get it, use dry ice as it's much colder and makes a big difference.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fog will only chill when in contact with the ice. I have tried many variations on an ice chiller, and this one is really the only one that works. If you can get it, use dry ice as it's much colder and makes a big difference.
Yep saw that one way back. I was wondering if there was better means as I was leaning towards that version. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
my opinion, all ice chillers work ok but you loose volume. I gave up on them and went to dry ice. Prices for dry ice have come down a lot! and no water to deal with. On my 1000w I have a 1 1/2" abs pipe 30" long with a cap on the end and as many 3/8" holes as i could drill in the cap. filled with chunks of dry ice. Lasts all night. makes more lower colder fog than the ice chest chillers and its small. Just don't forget to use gloves when playing with dry ice! ITS WAY TO COLD TO TOUCH!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I did a fog chiller using 20ft of corrigated drain pipe submerged in a ice water bath. It didn't work very well I now put frozen water bottles don the pipe work well. I want to change it to be more of a vortex chiller using frozen water bottles instead of ice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's the exact chiller I made. Marc is correct, this thing works!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is just the way my brain sees things...one problem I've run into with chillers is that, living in the Northeast, it gets pretty cold Halloween night, which means I REALLY have to chill the fog way down to get any quantitative effect.

As I was reading this thread, I had the thought - If you had the means to fill a plastic trash can with water, sit your vortex tubing inside, and then FREEZE THE WHOLE THING....would this be worth the effort?

That much ice mass would require quite a bit of time and heat to thaw, and I'd imagine that much ice contact would have a substantial effect.

Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
That'd be one big, heavy chunk of ice. It gets too cold for chilled fog in Chicago during Halloween about 50% of the time as well. I think if you could freeze a garbage can full of water, I'd run a coil of semi rigid tubing inside the can from the top to the bottom, leaving maybe half the space void for water. I don't think flexible dryer vent pipe would work as it might collapse from the water pressure and during the freeze. Something a little stiffer. Maybe 3" pvc with fittings to make the bends. that might just be cold enough for your part of the country.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too...Sure, it might take four men to life the stupid thing, but it could be worth it in the end.

Not enough time to do it this year, so maybe after Halloween I'll build a scale prototype to compare...I'm intrigued!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used a round insulated tub with a lid and coiled about 25 ft of thin wall corogated hose.......one hole in .one hole out .........4-5 pounds of ice and it works very well ..................
Ill take some pics when I get it fired up this year.......good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my 1000w I have a 1 1/2" abs pipe 30" long with a cap on the end and as many 3/8" holes as i could drill in the cap. filled with chunks of dry ice.
You just run the machine right into the open end of the tube?
Sounds like a good idea as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts