Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build one out of a cooler and I was looking at the various models on YouTube and such. Is a drain plug important? A lot of the ones I see on YouTube don't look like they have any kind of drainage, I would imagine as the ice melts to the bottom the cooler would fill.

Thanks Eric

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Chances are, most people are just using the hole the fog creeps out of as a drain for melt water. A trickle of water isn't going to hinder the fog at all, and even if the bottom of the cooler has a layer of water in it, it isn't going to block the fog.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if a layer of water would help keep the fog dense, as it might help humidify the air the fog is in, making it more dense and keeping the fog low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chances are, most people are just using the hole the fog creeps out of as a drain for melt water. A trickle of water isn't going to hinder the fog at all, and even if the bottom of the cooler has a layer of water in it, it isn't going to block the fog.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if a layer of water would help keep the fog dense, as it might help humidify the air the fog is in, making it more dense and keeping the fog low.
You think drilling a few small holes on the bottom of the cooler would work, just to let the water drain out?

·
Registered
668 Posts
As long as the hose you have inside doesn't have any punture or leaks, it shouldn't matter if the cooler is completely full of water. A bit of water and salt will help make things a bit cooler inside anyway.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's never been a problem for me. I have one made out of a cooler and one made out of a trashcan. I only run mine for about 4 hours on Halloween night though. Not enough time for it to melt much.

Do you have the for running across the ice? Or is it in a pipe that's covered in ice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's never been a problem for me. I have one made out of a cooler and one made out of a trashcan. I only run mine for about 4 hours on Halloween night though. Not enough time for it to melt much.

Do you have the for running across the ice? Or is it in a pipe that's covered in ice?
Well I'm going to build one , looking at all of them on YouTube I'm not sure which way to go. I think I will have it through a pipe covered in ice. How do you have yours?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Well I'm going to build one , looking at all of them on YouTube I'm not sure which way to go. I think I will have it through a pipe covered in ice. How do you have yours?
My first one was fog across ice, but it melted the ice pretty quickly. I since converted it to be pipe through ice. My pipe is just a shop-vac hose coiled on inside my cooler. Fog goes on in the low side of the pipe (fog is warm from machine and heat rises), travels up through pipe to start cooling and comes out about mid height on the cooler. When it exits the cooler it is thick and heavy, spilling out on the ground. Here's an inside shot of mine.

image.jpg

When the season is over, all extra hoses and fog machine fit right inside for storage too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first one was fog across ice, but it melted the ice pretty quickly. I since converted it to be pipe through ice. My pipe is just a shop after hose coiled on inside my cooler. Fog goes on in the low side of the pipe (fog is warm from machine and heat rises), travels up through pipe to start cooling and comes out about mid height on the cooler. When it exits the cooler it is thick and heavy, spilling out on the ground. Here's an inside shot of mine.

View attachment 261314
Awesome, thanks so much I like the hose better

·
Registered
244 Posts
I suppose the same would work if you bought one of those cheap styrofoam coolers, right? I'm thinking about doing the hose through the ice, but I'm not ready to ruin any of my coolers though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose the same would work if you bought one of those cheap styrofoam coolers, right? I'm thinking about doing the hose through the ice, but I'm not ready to ruin any of my coolers though.
I see a lot with the Styrofoam also it would work as well

·
Registered
668 Posts
Also forgot to mention, I need to weigh the hose down with a brick or two so it doesn't float on the surface as the ice melts. I never got around to permenantly glueing it to the bottom. I'm to lazy. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts