Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm getting my first fog machine soon and I have this idea of running the output from the fog chiller box through about 25' or 30' of 4" PVC pipe. The pipe would have 1" holes drilled through it every foot and go along the edge of my front porch to ensure even distribution of the fog over the entire porch.

My questions are:

1) I'm getting a minimum 700W fog machine, possibly 1000W, so I'm wondering if this is even necessary. My porch is solid brick walls on two sides and the other side is just a handrail. The PVC pipe would go under the length of handrail to blow fog onto the walkway. Do you think this is pointless......would the fog cover it all anyway?

2) Has anyone ever done something like this? I'm concerned that the fog might not come out of all the holes evenly.

Thank you, and have a great scare season!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
It sounds as though it would be easy for you to test it out without the pvc. Try it with just the fogger on a still evening and see if it does what you want, you may save yourself some time and $$.

·
Super Moderator
5,818 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
I doubt a 700 watt will push fog 30 feet, and if you drill holes every foot you would have no fog at the 30 foot mark
You can give it a try and see. I would drill a hole every 2-4 feet to start and see how far the fog goes.

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
yeah, what un...ox said :)

i use something similar that i got from lowes ... corrugated drain pipe

works amazingly ... not as good as a chiller ... but way easier and you get almost the same effect ... been doing this for years

amk

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thats what I was thinking of using for a fog chiller, maybe 10 feet of solid tubing, then hook up a 10 foot
piece of the perforated to let the fog out. I will put ice in the first 10 foot section so the fog gets chilled
before it comes out the perforated piece. I will give it a try within the next week and see how it goes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Love the perforated pipe. Used that in conjunction with a chiller for my front garden and it stayed pretty low to the ground, extending into my driveway. Do yourself a favor and get some really great dog juice too, that makes a ton of difference!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might be right. It could be a good idea to maybe drill smaller holes spaced further apart. I can always make them bigger if I need to, I found a video on YouTube for another project where a guy (GuruBrew) used a PVC pipe to make a fog curtain to project a video on. Granted, he was using a 1 1/4" pipe with 1/8" holes drilled every inch, which is quite different from my plan. It worked great for him but he wasn't using a 30' pipe either. The fog came out great in his video so I'll take that as proof of concept. The curiosity in me is killing me though, so I might try it anyway just to see how well it works. I might even make a video and post it here. I just need the Halloween stores to open so I can get my fogger :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question in line with fog chillers. Last year I rigged up a Styrofoam cooler with ice and about 6' of tubing inside of it. I had an issue with ice melting too quickly and then completely loosing the effect. Any thoughts as to how to keep things colder longer? Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a question in line with fog chillers. Last year I rigged up a Styrofoam cooler with ice and about 6' of tubing inside of it. I had an issue with ice melting too quickly and then completely loosing the effect. Any thoughts as to how to keep things colder longer? Thanks
I used dry ice last year and two bags (10 lbs each) lasted me all night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got my 1000W fog machine from Spirit Halloween. I used the low-lying fog juice that's meant for a fog chiller and ran it through 25' of flex duct inside a plastic garbage can with 3 bags of ice and it works like a charm. I've got the pvc tube with holes in it cut and ready to go but haven't tried them together with the chiller yet. Here's a pic of the fog as it came out of my chiller. IMG_2444.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts