Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have an idea for a fog chiller, but need some help to get it to work.

Here's what I want to do: I have a mini-fridge from college, and would like to weld old aluminum siding to the cooling unit inside the unit. I would cut holes at random places in the aluminum allowing air flow. (Think of the cooling fins on a computer cpu) The layers of aluminum would disperse the cold into the air inside the fridge.

I was thinking of using a 4" dryer hose inlet, and a louvred outlet (to slow speed out of the chiller) and to allow more air contact time with the cooling fins.

Here's the kicker: Anybody know how to boost the cooling power of the compressor in a mini-fridge? Is it easy enough to swap out a motor, or change a thermostat? Or would I be better draining it and charging it with a different refrigerant?

I dont know if this is even possible, but figured there might be some refrigeration experts out there that could help me.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
It will work for a little while, then all you end up with is a huge chunk of ice around the coils.
I'm in MI, too. If yould like, you can have my "window AC unit fog chiller". Just come pick it up. It was brand new before I hacked into it. It works fine as an AC unit, crappy as a fog chiller.
PM me if you want it!

PS: If you want it for this year, you'll need to pick it up tonight, tomorrow morning at the latest!
We're about an hour, hour and a half from you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts