Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been thinking of a cheap way to make a large fog chiller for my cemetery. i didn't want to go out and buy a large ice chest if i was going to have to put holes through it. That's when i remembered that at my work we have these 35 gal steel drums we just throw away when we are done. They are the perfect size.

I want the thing to be water tight so i can keep ice water and use either pool hose or metal flex hose to get the fog through the ice/ice water.

Here is my issue. I cant have something so big taking up all that space in the off season, so i have to be able to remove the hose and use this thing for storage for props. Does any one have a good way of having a hose go through the drum with a water tight seal but still removable?

P.S. if anyone is in the So Cal area i have a couple more if you want one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after thinking about it i may do a false bottom style chiller. i can seal the bottom and keep the water in the drum and pass a tube through to let the fog out. Anyone have any opinions on this design weather it will work or not.
fog mach 1.jpg
fog mach 2.jpg

Tthe only thing not shown is the fog tube inside the drum but that will just coil around and lead to the elbow at the bottom.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a design question on your chiller. Will there be a problem with the fog in the hose? It comes out hot and will tend to resist traveling though the hose. I know as it cools it will sink, but wondered if the reintroduction of hot fog off the timer will retard the entire process? Hope that made sense, I figure it will work, but I am really interested to see your report as to how well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am not sure. i was basing the design off of some that i have seen in the past on here and other forums:
fogchl_GotFog2.jpg
fogchl_goh_1.jpg

and the more i think about it the more i am leading toward this flex metal large diameter tube for inside. the trick will be to see if i can seal the water out at the joints

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
This may be a long shot, but if you were to make these (if you work always gets these) when the proof of concept works. You might be able to sell them (Locally Of course).

My plastic trash can fog chiller work decent, but i believe the false bottom would negate the need to have the cardboard box extender

Might even want a tiny small fan to lighlty push ALL of the fog out of the false bottom.

Oh FYI. in regards to Castart's concern | As long as you have power (MY guess would be 500W+), it would be able to push it all the way through the tubes to the bottom.

TL: DR : AWESOME! I would buy if sold!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the thoughts :cool:

i am using a 1000w fogger for this project. so i should have the force.

i have thought about the fan but it becomes a huge issue with where to put it. I have heard some say you doesn't want to let it touch the fog, but then they say you don't want to add ambient air to the mix either. i may be able to do it if i add a fan before the cooling. turn one of the external elbows into a "Y" and have the fog come in one side then the fan on the other. then run it through the chiller.

Damn, now i foresee this project getting more complicated. ha ha ha

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
i'm thinking that when the hot fog enters the chiller, it will cool and fall creating a slight vacuum that will assist the fog that's entering the chiller to get sucked down ... of course i could be wrong ... the pressure of the new hot fog should also assist in getting into the chiller ... but if my fog chiller theory is incorrect, you could always use a low rpm fan to suck out the fog ... naturally, the longer the fog stays in the chiller, the cooler it will get and the longer will be the ground hugging time ...

i've heard, but never tried, soaking the grass is supposed to also assist in keeping the fog longer on the lawn

i've had good success in using that corrugated drain pipe in lieu of a chiller ... not it doesn't work as well as a chiller, but its a simple solution ... btw some people put frozen bottles in the drain pipe with good results

hope i didn't muddy up the waters too much ...

amk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I decided to make several coffins for the yard and used one for electronics such as the lighting simulator computer and av equipment and two other as fog chillers. They were piped through the yard and worked great! I pot the fog machine in, ran the fog through lots of flexible metal dryer exhaust hose coved with bags of ice.and covered it with a layer of insulation. Finally I tilted the coffin to the melted water drains away from the flog Machine and out some holes on the bottom of the coffin

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i started this weekend on the chiller. The design has changed a little due to what pvc parts were on sale. The big black parts are very expensive compared to my Halloween budget. I did find a section that had some on sale ($0.85 compared to $7-$8). I managed to get the elbow for the bottom pipe to come out of the barrel, but the inlet design had to change a little. i got this kind of weird 3" elbow with a 2" inlet that goes straight through for real cheap. so the design will look something like this:
fog mach 3.jpg
i got the split elbow on top so i if i need it i can add a fan. if i don't need it great, but at least this unit wont be scrap if i do.

here is the work so far
i cut the large hole in the bottom:

and built the false bottom with an elbow through it. this is where the fog will come out:

i got the same weird elbow for both the top and bottom so i had to cut off the 2" inlet and duct tape over the hole. i will coat it in the rubber flex seal that i am going to use everywhere in this thing to water proof it.

this is the inside where the ice water will be. My goal is to make this thing water tight so i can keep more of a cold salt water tank. I am using rubber flex seal spray to waterproof this tonight.

what do you guys think of the design now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts