Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever build a fog chiller from a small chest freezer? I have one I would be willing to cut holes in but wanted some suggestions on how to go about building it. Build a Vortex style chiller last year, works great but uses a lot of ice. Appreciate all the help and ideas!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not too sure that a freezer would work since it is more designed to maintain a cold tempature vs provide super chilled air quickly.
If anything, I would try an AC unit and use it to build a heat exchanger.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not sure that it would work either...but maybe if you did the standard vortex-style with the dryer vent tubing wrapped all around to maixmize the amount of time the fog was in the freezer, it may work. Then again, your freezer will probably burn out very quickly with the hot fog and holes in it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
we built a chiller from a coleman style ice chest. Because we lived in LA is was important that our chiller actually insulate the ice since we use our fog machine year round, and even on Halloween it could be 80 degrees out! we fill it with frozen bottles of ice and rarely have to change out the bottles or we use dry ice, depending on weather. Of course, we're generally going for low lying fog creeping over the ground, not solid "can't see where i'm going" effects -- that might require more ice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts