Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first year I was planning on using a fog chiller BUT here's where I need your advice...

They are calling for an evening temp of 52 and I'm going to be using Froggy's Freezin' Fog Juice. Would the chiller make a difference or could I go without it?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I dont think the outside temp matters as much as cooling down the fog immediately being emitted from the machine
I made one this year for the first time. Literally took me about 10 mins
Used the hose from an old vacuum, (removed the 2 screws to remove it) and have it going through a 5 gallon paint bucket.
Works great

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
As goneferal noted, unchilled fog in cool air tends to make a haze as it rises.
And rise it will - the fog is hot when generated, and comes out of the machine quite warm. Since warm air / gasses rise, while the cooler air sinks, the fog will move upward and spread out.

When the air's cool, a fog chiller is even more important if you're trying to keep the low-lying fog effect. There are so many designs, but one that I use to great effect is the 4 inch black irrigation drainage piping, with a series of inch wide holes drilled along one side, then a number of frozen water bottles stuffed inside to keep the air cool. Simple and rather effective.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a fog chiller all ready to go last year but must have kinked the hose when I added the ice so it would not work. I simply took off the chiller and the Froggy's Freezin' Fog Juice settled just fine with no chiller at all. The conditions were approximately what you described.

Reactions: Neuf350Z

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for everyone's feedback. I have the chiller ready to go, just need ice, so I'll go with it. I have a feeling it will be colder than 52 because they are calling for flurries on Saturday since a cold front is moving in. It can be 0 degrees outside for all I care, as long as it doesn't rain!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did tests with both of my new machines last night and I have the Freezing Fog from Froggy's too. It rose straight up like any other normal fog would. Just made a haze in the garage. It was probably in the high 60's last night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.