Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I just spent time typing up this post only to find I wasn't log in (timed out I think) and I ended up losing what I had typed. Well here goes again.

I think HOME DEPOT is carrying the Owens Pink foamboard (like the Dow blue foamboard) that has been impossible it seems to find in California over the last few years. Just when I found all the posts about making tombstones and such and sculpting the foam... Anyway I was on the Home Depot sight tonight and searched under "insulation" and then clicked on "sheathings" in the column.

Found the following thicknesses in 48 in x 96 in sheets:
2 inch (Store SKU# 409926) about $24;
3/4 inch (Store SKU# 104863) about $14; and
1/2 inch (Store SKU# 409923) about $12

Its called Foamular 150 which is an Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) product and here's the link to it on Owens Corning's site:
FOAMULAR® 150 Rigid Foam Insulation

For those of you who have been building and sculpting with the pink foamboard, can you check it out and tell us if it's the same stuff you have been using? Thanks. If it is the same stuff, the Home Depot site can be search for a store near you and let you know if it's in stock at your local store.

Maybe there's hope for my hand made gravestones still...

C

·
0 Posts
yes, this is what I use. good luck making your stones!! it's addicting! :)

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Great clock there ZombieRaider!! And THANKS everyone who "chimed in" to let us know this California Home Depot stuff is what you've been using. This will make a lot of haunters on the coast here happy. Hope they see this post.

I know some Calif hauntes were using the white beaded stuff out of necessity since that became the only thing they could find in the stores and I have some tombstones that I purchased that are made of it but IMO they break apart too easily so damage quickly and make a real mess too. I had gotten the impression the prior XPS material disappeared from Calif because it didn't meet environmental code, so am guessing the formulation has been changed to make it sellable here now. Great news none the less.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowes carries the Dow XPS blue foamboard in my area. Their website shows the following available:

1/4 inch x 4 feet x 50 feet, Item 127129 about $36 (maybe a great solution for backdrop type scenes that you need weatherproofed

Lowes apparently does carry other dimensions and thicknesses of blue foamboard but not in my area. Certainly worth a internet website search before hopping in your car to either Lowes or Home Depot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
50'! I'll have to get a bigger pickup truck. My hunny will be so glad about that!

Just kidding. That sounds more like laminate flooring underlayment. At 50', it can't be rigid.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IslandCryptKeeper, nice try but doubt your wife would go along with a new truck after seeing it accordianed to 4 x 4 feet square stacks '-)

Regarding the underlayment usage, no the Dow foamboard III actually is used for foundation wall waterproofing and insulation. Protection Board III Insulation (U.S. Commercial Only) While it's only 1/4 inch thick it is a stiff rigid foamboard, denser I'd say than the white poster foamboard you see in craft stores. Backed with plastic on one side it would repel water and the other side while thin could be "dremeled" or adhered with glue or painted. I'm going to pick up a stack of it later this summer to create a few facades I want to construct for this year. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Dow does make a similar foam board, HPU, that has the same size and similar properties that is used for underlayment like you mentioned. DOW™ HPU Layflat Insulation (U.S. Residential Only)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I admit, I should have looked at Lowe's web page before my last comment. Still, I just don't get it. How is that (Lowe's item #127129) 50' long? The picture sucks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
is the pink or blue foamboard less mesy than the white when you cut it? or do they all break apart into the nasty little foam balls?

·
Registered
540 Posts
The pink and blue stuff is WAY BETTER than the white stuff. Stronger, not made of the infernally annoying little foam balls. It's easier to cut, carve and shape. It's just better.

I get the white stuff free a lot though, so I do use it too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
i bought the white stuff for my crypt...i have to redo the roof...I'll get the pink or blue stuff...I've definitely seen it at my neighborhood Lowes...guess I better go get it before it's gone

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I started the thread Warrant2000. I guess all that great, warm year-round weather you guys get has it's price :) --insulation resources. No need for much if any.

All may not be lost for you San Diego and Southern Calif area haunters however. I spent sometime on Home Depot's site and while you don't have the same selection as those of us from Central and Northern California I did find the following XPS (extruded Pink) for you. Only 1 size, but at least it's something you can buy if you can get to a town where it's stocked. You do end up paying more for it square footage-wise unfortunately. Guess based on supply and demand.

Foamular 250 in the 1 in x 2 ft x 8 ft size, about $18, listed as being at the following stores in Southern Calif.:
Temecula, Hemet, Moreno Valley (on Pigeon Pass Rd. only), Victorville (on Bear Valley Rd.), Rancho Cucamonga, and Corona.

This may not be a complete list but I looked for areas that were more likely to have cold nights and winter temps. So if your not near the above look for towns in the mountains or colder valley inland areas.

###

If you're in the S.F. Bay area (from Gilroy on northward), you have a wide range of choices:

Foamular 150 - in the following sizes 1/2 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($12); 3/4 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($14); 1 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($13); and 2 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($24)

###

I think the main difference between the pink Foamular 250 and the 150 is the R-rating value.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I admit, I should have looked at Lowe's web page before my last comment. Still, I just don't get it. How is that (Lowe's item #127129) 50' long? The picture sucks.

Yeah not a great picture I agree. I have seen it in the store and one side has a plastic film on it and its scored somehow so that it folds like a card in on itself basically. This happens throughout the 50 foot length in an accordian-style if I'm not mistaken. I did open up some of the folded panels and when opened up, one side does lay flat and has a uniform smooth appearance. Hope that helps.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
I started the thread Warrant2000. I guess all that great, warm year-round weather you guys get has it's price :) --insulation resources. No need for much if any.

All may not be lost for you San Diego and Southern Calif area haunters however. I spent sometime on Home Depot's site and while you don't have the same selection as those of us from Central and Northern California I did find the following XPS (extruded Pink) for you. Only 1 size, but at least it's something you can buy if you can get to a town where it's stocked. You do end up paying more for it square footage-wise unfortunately. Guess based on supply and demand.

Foamular 250 in the 1 in x 2 ft x 8 ft size, about $18, listed as being at the following stores in Southern Calif.:
Temecula, Hemet, Moreno Valley (on Pigeon Pass Rd. only), Victorville (on Bear Valley Rd.), Rancho Cucamonga, and Corona.

This may not be a complete list but I looked for areas that were more likely to have cold nights and winter temps. So if your not near the above look for towns in the mountains or colder valley inland areas.

###

If you're in the S.F. Bay area (from Gilroy on northward), you have a wide range of choices:

Foamular 150 - in the following sizes 1/2 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($12); 3/4 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($14); 1 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($13); and 2 in x 4 ft x 8 ft ($24)

###

I think the main difference between the pink Foamular 250 and the 150 is the R-rating value.
Great. So if I want foam I get to drive up to Temecula? It's really not worth the gas at $3 a gallon to get up there and back, even with a truckful of the stuff in my pickup. I'd rather spend the money on other stuff. One day I'll convince my local HD and Lowe's that they NEED this stuff.... =) I live right in the middle of San Diego, and Temecula (the closest place) is still a good 40-45 minute drive from me... Not to mention anyone else who lives south of Miramar/Mira Mesa...or worse, on the Coast. Hemet is hell... (sorry if you live there...its true!), Victorville is only good if you intend on driving to Vegas for the weekend, and the rest are just too far. Thanks for looking into it though. It's good to know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Grrr I hate CA.... I haven't been able to find blue/pink ANYWHERE! I've been using the white bead foam board now and even though it's messy, it is still well worth it. I built a crypt, cemetery arch entry and several head stones last year.

They were a major HIT. I put monster mud over all of it and they came out really well.

I will continue to use the white bead for now unless I can order pink/blue from online in bulk at a decent price. Until then FOAM ON!

Here is my arch for now:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts