Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saying for a couple of years that I wanted to make a groundbreaker style toe pincher coffin, but never ran across any old fence boards to make it with. While I was teaching my wife to carve and paint the foam window boards last week we decided to make one from foam over a wooden frame. I'm referencing the one built here - http://www.spyderwood.com/Styrofoam Coffin.html - for the basic frame construction, but the foam skinning will be done in the same style I do my window boards and singnage - old, dry, and split planks. I want to make the door slightly askew (and removeable) and have a skeleton arm hanging out, possibly with some movement if I can find the right parts. So far I've got the frame finished. Went very quick using staples to clamp the framing together, then secured it all once assembled with 4 inch galvanized screws to be sure it will be solid enough to withstand the elements. Next week I'll be making a run to Lowes for the insulation board to skin it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Very Impressive! And you headless helper does very superlative work!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very Impressive! And you headless helper does very superlative work!
Ha ha, yea I've been keeping Hagetha's head indoors away from the summer heat and humidity to prolong the life of the latex mask. She is pretty much just in the way now. I had her out to add some details, and need to move her back to my storage room behind my workshop so I'll have room to work on the coffin.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Changed plans mid build because after making the door I did not like how it hid a lot of the coffin itself by being offset like I made it. Ran across an image of a corpsed skeleton lying in a toe pincher with cloth and webbing all around and over it that I really liked and decided to go that route instead. Still going to be sticking up from the ground at an angle, but I've reduced the door to just a large broken remnant towards the bottom. My corpsed skeleton will be getting a slight upgrade to his paint and maybe a few other details. Going to line the interior with freaky fabric, bed down the corpse in it, then hit it all with webbing from my web shooter. Here goes another big build for this year!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got this project 95% done today! Only thing left to do is paint black lines into the separation between the planks, cobwebs, and glue on a small piece of the broken lid.

My wife was a HUGE help on this one. She carved the wood grain into the entire back and helped to paint the base coat and secondary colors. I did the dry brush coat and final airbrush, but her help saved me several hours of work.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts