Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm such a nerd that I'm spending my spring break (being an academic has its perks) reorganizing my garage. I've realized that my foam scraps are a big reason that my workshop always feels messy. I'm sure we all have those pieces of foam that are just big enough that they might be useful, but are too small to stack.
How do you store your scrap foam insulation board? Fingers crossed that someone has a brilliant idea! :)

So far, I've managed to build an additional workbench and organize all of my tools.

·
Registered
245 Posts
May not be exactly what you need, but for more 'storage space', you can make some brackets (4 of them required) to make a 'shelf' just below where your garage door comes up (you can also buy above garage door shelving). I got the idea back in 2009 (probably earlier). Two brackets that attached to the garage door frame where the wheels slide the garage door up. Two brackets on each side, which then had pvc (didn't work...changed to metal pipe) connecting across. Holds quite a bit of flat items.

Pic shows one side of one bracket...metal pipe goes across to other side bracket. Then two others towards the front of garage to make a shelf.

Red line shows bracket and pipe across to other side (not seen in pic). I usually have larger tombstones, christmas window pvc frame, large foam skeleton head, and other items sitting up there all year. You can also then hang stuff off of it....just watch how much weight you put on it.
Only part that is a hassle is the automatic garage door opener portion of the garage door...have to leave space in the middle so it can still track through (pipes going from side to side have to be down far enough not to interfere either...and high enough you don't hit your head on them!)

The brackets I got were on-line, but I didn't see them for sale anymore at the site I got them at.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matrixmom: Good to be back. I had some tech issues with the forum and my browser. It kept autoforwarding and crashing. Finally figured out the problem :) I used old laundry baskets to hold scrap for a while. I simply hold on to too much for them to work now. I have a foam problem. LOL

I got inspired last night and slapped together a cart/bin out of wood scraps around the garage. Put some wheels on the bottom and I think I have a solution! Yeah! It's really ugly. Looks like a Franken-build but it's working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts