Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I'm venturing into wreaths. After adding ribbons, picks and props, I wanted to personalize. Came up with the idea of doing a "Happy Halloween" pick up top, and a "from the {lastname}" and customizing them for neighbors. Not finished, obviously, but the idea is to carve some foam, paint, seal and mount. Here is my progression so far.

Routed out the main area, rough beveled the edges and did a carbon transfer for the words
detail1.jpg

Put a razor around the letters and carved out the edges
detail3.jpg

Main area started
detail5.jpg

Main Detail
detail6.jpg

Crazy guy doing the carving
detail4.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously there's a lot more carving and cleanup to do, but I wanted to see if anyone had done anything similar. I should have it ready for paint this weekend. Gotta get busy on my photo op to-do list.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm not familiar with your wreaths. Any pictures? I love Grandin Road's wreaths, but refuse to pay their prices. I've just recently picked up some metal wreath cages/forms (Dollar Store $1 a piece), tied two together back to back to create a round form and started wrapping them in boas ($9 each with three needed per wreath). One is a beautiful purple and the other a deep black. I still need to find the perfect accessories with the goal of mimicking some seen on GR.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you use an exacto knife style tool to clean up the edges? Maybe a razor blade/utlity knife? It looks great though and painting it a dark color may hide some imperfections as well. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you use an exacto knife style tool to clean up the edges? Maybe a razor blade/utlity knife? It looks great though and painting it a dark color may hide some imperfections as well. Thanks for sharing.
As good as I am with an exacto, my cleanup skills only go so far. :D Pics of my finalized cleanup tonight. I have a nice hot knife that when turned up, radiates enough head to make those little guys shrink and recede. As you hinted, I'm probably going to paint the area immediately around the letters black so the colors will pop more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not familiar with your wreaths. Any pictures? <snip>. I still need to find the perfect accessories with the goal of mimicking some seen on GR.
I've just begun wreathing, so I'll have some pics this week. Found some nifty ribbon on clearance this weekend that I'm going to use.

Yeah, accessories are the toughest part. I'm going to go into Michael's this week and clear out the aisle of small picks and mini-mini-skulls. I'm working on a spiderweb wreath and a gloss red/black glitter one.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
After any foam carving I like to sweep a mini torch over it. You will loose some detail but it hardens the foam making it a little more durable and will take care of those crumbs of foam.

Looking great! Love the font. Looking forward to more pics. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
i kind of like the idea of signs in the wreaths. and the hot knife was a good idea. i know lots of prop makers use heat guns to get rid of sanding pills.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rough painting done. Need to detail it up a little. Probably about another hour left before sealing it.
I love the idea of the heat gun, just need to get one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
i kind of like the idea of signs in the wreaths. and the hot knife was a good idea. i know lots of prop makers use heat guns to get rid of sanding pills.
I use the heat gun... Well, it's not actually a heat gun, it's an 'Embossing Tool', bc mine grew legs when my ex was here one day getting some of his stuff, and instead of buying another one, my aunt gave me this bc she didn't use it, and got a big table top heat gun for her business. It's freakn perfect tho! It came from AC Moore, by Nicole & it says HEAT TOOL on the side. It's straight like a pencil and has a little fold out stand, so u can hold it like a pencil, and have way more control, bc its designed to be used in small spaces. I highly recommend it for detail jobs or small detail. It does get very hot, but I've used it to corpse mini Skeletons, and it's perfect for that, too!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't finished the sign, but here are a few of the wreaths I've done:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bat one actually lights up. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't finished the sign, but here are a few of the wreaths I've done:

That third one would be my favorite -- nice color combination (and no spiders :eek:).
Thanks!
Funny you mention it, because that one already sold, within minutes of putting it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts