Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stunning work. I had trouble with the foam board glue gunking up my past projects, did you thin the glue or just spread it thinner? 2012 02 06_iphone_0312.jpg both the Sarcophagus and the Head of Anubis were made with this same process.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Stunning work. I had trouble with the foam board glue gunking up my past projects, did you thin the glue or just spread it thinner? both the Sarcophagus and the Head of Anubis were made with this same process.
Those are beautiful!

Had the same problem and in fact let me to do a huge test on styro glues. Note: I have not tried this on a full sculpt yet - but looks promising:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Terra, just watched your video. Great help thank you.. I used the caulking stuff and as you said. it kept getting in my rasp and then would try to take out chunks of foam. I start my carvings with a drywall saw. then use a rasp to smooth things.

I saw another guy he glues after he carves. he uses dowel rods to hold his piece together with molding it. I personally dont see how that could possibly hold the foam pieces together tightly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually the column is old. I did make it years ago. I was referring to the the pile of foam. I tried your Glidden gripper. It's been 24 hours now. So I'm counting on your review. The pile will hopefully be a spider. Hopefully.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Oh I see. That's a large surface of foam so depending on how much you used you still may have wet areas. Did you read upthread where I tried using a heavy coat on each side and it was still wet after 4 days? So beware of that. It could be that a thin coat on each side could be the charm. Also, I'm debating on if I do large surface gluing like the hell Hound I might give it a lot more time to cure/dry. Perhaps up to a month if I could swing it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I swear, if there's such a thing as a Halloween art museum, your props deserve their own exhibit! I've been meaning to ask what type of respirator you use when you're carving the foam, and do you use the same one when you're shaping things with the hot knife? I accidentally got a lungful of hot pink foam fumes last summer while aging my stones, and it's made me leery of mixing heat and pink foam without the proper gear. The scary bit was that the fumes themselves don't smell so bad, but they laid me low with a bad headache and what felt like a sinus infection for a couple of days.

Oh, and can we hope the nice doggy is what's going to eat the hoodlums that vandalized Beloved? :D

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I swear, if there's such a thing as a Halloween art museum, your props deserve their own exhibit! I've been meaning to ask what type of respirator you use when you're carving the foam, and do you use the same one when you're shaping things with the hot knife? I accidentally got a lungful of hot pink foam fumes last summer while aging my stones, and it's made me leery of mixing heat and pink foam without the proper gear. The scary bit was that the fumes themselves don't smell so bad, but they laid me low with a bad headache and what felt like a sinus infection for a couple of days.

Oh, and can we hope the nice doggy is what's going to eat the hoodlums that vandalized Beloved? :D
Thank you very much for those kudos :) I use the 3M Model 6200 respirator from Lowe's. I wear it whether doing light work, airbrushing or heavy foam cutting. Mainly because the little paper ones fog up my glasses and though this looks likes I'm ready for the next zombie apocalypse - it's extremely comfortable to wear - even more than the paper ones.

It doesn't block everything though. I looked to get something better suited for fumes (couldn't find one) but if you are doing A LOT of hot wire foam cutting you'll get that headache. So, take lots of breaks - do it outdoors if you can or have a fan running so it blows the fumes away from your face: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESafetySolutions/PPESafety/Personal_Protective_Equipment/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Half-Facepiece-Reusable-Respirator-6200-07025-AAD-Respiratory-Protection-Medium-24-cs?N=4294930097+5011378&Nr=AND(hrcy_id:GS81S1LP47gs_GDGQ6Q3PBB_N2RL3FHWVK_GPD0K8BC31gv)&rt=d

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolutely incredible!

That hellhound is fantastic, a true masterpiece of art.

All hail Terra!!

Wow...I'm just blown away. I have so many ideas running through my head after seeing this type of creation and potential.

Thank you.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Absolutely incredible!

That hellhound is fantastic, a true masterpiece of art.

All hail Terra!!

Wow...I'm just blown away. I have so many ideas running through my head after seeing this type of creation and potential.

Thank you.
Sorry I didn't see this before but thank you :)

Wow nice build up that dragon its amazing for me that all the scale is accurate in all direction.Specially colour choice is good and attractive for all the viewers..How much time is spend to make this dragon?What is the scale measurement of the tail?
It took me about 2 months to build the HellHound but a lot of time was wasted trying to figure out how to make the scales in a way that was realistic so thank you for the compliments on them. His tail is as long as his body - not including the head. But, then it's curled up like you see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think when we see finished props in yards on display we think hey they look great...but we forget the hours and hours of labour that often goes into creating these masterpieces. I saw your hell hound and thought the same, I just didnt realise the time and effort that went into creating it. I take my hat off to you.a stunning piece of work... and all the very best on your new start in Texas too. :)

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I think when we see finished props in yards on display we think hey they look great...but we forget the hours and hours of labour that often goes into creating these masterpieces. I saw your hell hound and thought the same, I just didnt realise the time and effort that went into creating it. I take my hat off to you.a stunning piece of work... and all the very best on your new start in Texas too. :)
Hey back :) Sorry I missed this. With the move everything goes haywire. Thank you so much for the wonderful kudos. Yes, it takes so much time for a few weeks of display. I can't tell you how many times I get a surprised look when I tell visitors that I made it. Almost to the person they say, " I thought you bought this!"

Holy BLEEP! That is absolutely outstanding work...
Aww, thank you...

Amazing job! Looks absolutely awesome!
Thanks!

Do you sell any of your creations? The wolf is awesome!
No, I just make these for fun but thanks for asking. It's a great compliment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Excellent detail................ would love to see these as stone or bronze too........................ perhaps two dragons or hellhounds guarding a home carved from stone............and some scary gargoyles...................... love the work.......................:)

61 - 80 of 83 Posts