Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Phenomenal Tutorial

Outstanding job on the hell hound and fantastic job on the tutorial. Really one of the best I have see. you should consider teaching workshops or classes. It makes me jealous that I don't live closer to you, I would SO pay for a good foam carving class.

BRAVO Terra BRAVO!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I really appreciate all the wonderful comments. Thanks everyone :D

Thanks Terra. Awesome project. I just ordered the knife kit. Looking forward to doing my new project for this year and will be referring back to your tut for help. I have the small set but this one looks like it is a time saver for sure. thanks a bunch!!!:D
I hope you like it. I had been eying it for sometime at Transworld but was too afraid to pull the trigger. It's an awfully expensive tool. But without it I probably still be building it. Made it quicker and therefore you can focus more on artisticaly shaping then just sawing away trying to knock it down. Hot Wire had asked if I would do a review of the knife for them so here it is - it may show some other ways of using it for you:

Very nice, Terra! I'd been wondering what those foam rasps were called since seeing them on Monster Man-- I can finally buy one now... Thanks! :)

Have you seen Monster Man by chance? They used an interesting 'patterning' method to enlarge a smaller master to a larger foam prop. (With flexible urethane foam sheet since they needed movement in the prop.)
I have and am very curious of the material they used. Looks like a very handy medium for many things. Is this the same stuff you think? http://www.101beanbags.com/polyurethanefoam14.html

Just AWESOME! I was thinking of making a 2-headed hound a few years back, but had no idea how to do it. I never tried sculpting foam before. I have a few scraps lying around so I may try it out. Thanks for sharing!
To make things easier on you here's an idea. Purchase two hound masks and mount it onto the body. It was the back-up plan if I ruined carving the hell hound's head. Here's a quick one as an example: http://www.zagonestudios.com/

·
Registered
854 Posts
Terra - I love your work, I really do. Items like this Hell Hound show your awesome talent for detail. But I gotta tell you, you REALLY scare me. I NEVER want the e-ticket ride through your mind! LOL HM

·
Registered
311 Posts
Terra, I'm sure you're asked this a lot but have you ever thought of publishing a book with all of your techniques? If not I think you should. You'll probably get a lot of buyers from us fellow haunters.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Terra - I love your work, I really do. Items like this Hell Hound show your awesome talent for detail. But I gotta tell you, you REALLY scare me. I NEVER want the e-ticket ride through your mind! LOL HM
I'm just your typical housewife.... ;)

Amazing job there Terra.

it's mindblowing! :D
Thanks!

Terra, I'm sure you're asked this a lot but have you ever thought of publishing a book with all of your techniques? If not I think you should. You'll probably get a lot of buyers from us fellow haunters.
Aww - did have 'write a book' on the bucket list but not so interested any longer. But, got the next best thing. If you mosey on over to my blog there are all the tutorials done over the years with many of them updated: http://www.halloweenforum.com/blogs/terra/ They have most of my YouTube videos embedded but the rest can by found on my channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Scaryladyvideos?feature=mhee

·
Ghouls Rule
2,582 Posts
wow, this is one of those tutorials that needs to be stickied! Its very detailed and picture/video detailed! Im favorite-ing this for when I haz money for a large scale project, lol. Thanks so much for taking the time to spell it out for us! /hugz

·
Registered
54 Posts
Terra - sure beauty! I just toured the Mari Gras World warehouse in NOLA. Some of the same techniques they use on their floats you use all the time you should apply for a consultant job with them...LOL! Two tricks they used that I never thought of before were: 1) a lot of Great Stuff (insulation spray) to fill in cracks and shape the overall project 2) They use plywood sheets in the middle of their projects to add stability and glue the styrofoam on each side. Just two thoughts if you haven't seen or heard of them before. Keep up the great work! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
terra thx for this tut i think i will try to make two of these this winter for 2013 Halloween project i have in my head this project differently makes you the queen of foam undefeated

·
Registered
126 Posts
Terra, truly outstanding job! I have a couple of questions - How brittle are the scales and did you coat them with any hardener? I'm assuming the hammering technique (pretty clever) makes them a bit more flexible and less prone to damage - right?

Also, where does a guy like this sleep during the off season? ... Oh yeah, anywhere he wants!

Great work and a wonderful tutorial.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Kittyvibe, loach, Hilda, and azazel: Thank you very much. It's a joy to read your thoughts on my new doggie :D

Terra - sure beauty! I just toured the Mari Gras World warehouse in NOLA. Some of the same techniques they use on their floats you use all the time you should apply for a consultant job with them...LOL! Two tricks they used that I never thought of before were: 1) a lot of Great Stuff (insulation spray) to fill in cracks and shape the overall project 2) They use plywood sheets in the middle of their projects to add stability and glue the styrofoam on each side. Just two thoughts if you haven't seen or heard of them before. Keep up the great work! :D
I've been thinking more and more about Great Stuff to glue the foam together. All the other glues I've used has let me down in all kinds of ways. Currently doing a test of a bunch of foam glues to see which one will come out the winner. Great Stuff is among them.

The plywood is an excellent idea. I like the lightweight of PVC but that's a great alternative.

Terra, truly outstanding job! I have a couple of questions - How brittle are the scales and did you coat them with any hardener? I'm assuming the hammering technique (pretty clever) makes them a bit more flexible and less prone to damage - right?

Also, where does a guy like this sleep during the off season? ... Oh yeah, anywhere he wants!

Great work and a wonderful tutorial.

That pounding did make them more flexible. There are micro cracks however and so if they are bent the wrong way they'd probably break off. That's why I coated the ever-loving daylights out of the dog. He has 6 coats of exterior latex paint. The latex in the paint is what helps give the scales a much stronger skin. Occasionally when I was pounding the scales they'd crack a lot. In that case while I was gluing I also spread some foamboard glue on the back of the crack to help seal and strengthen it. In the end, yes - those scales can take some hits but I would avoid it. This will be behind a fence and if I catch a kid trying to ride it... well, let's just say I hope he enjoyed his last Halloween ;)

Oh, and the doggie sleeps next to Terra and the Demon Horse in the corner of the basement - or anywhere he likes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is excellent Terra. You are so talented!

I haven't done much foam sculpting aside from basic tombstones, and that was with the awful white stuff. I can't seem to find pink foam here in Phoenix:( However, they just started carrying some of the blue kind at the Lowe's near me, so now I'm even more excited.
I really want to try this!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts