Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking help on Crypt build

So we are attempting to build this style of crypt 12' x 12' from scratch.

Architecture Building House Shed Tomb

I think we have the build portion down pretty well, but I have limited experience forming this much foam for the design. Essentially each side is going to be almost completely covered. I am thinking the best bet is to use the 2" thick - 4' x 8' pink foam sheets from the lumber yard.

I really need some tutorials, videos, or advice with this one. I want it to look good and my foam work is admittedly limited. Is this foam good for the task? Would a different material be better suited? Recommendations on molding tools and paint? Please give me some guidance! Trying to make it look like stone work similar to the photo.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For something that large, you're going to need some type of backer. You may consider making it modular, something along the line of theater flats. This will give you a wood frame for attachment points. Hollywood Haunter has some videos on their YouTube channel covering flats. I would probably use a combination of 1" and 2" foam. Laminate with 1" where needed for thickness. I'd definitely use the Pink foam. Lowes carries a blue, but the thickness dimensions are a little off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe,

Basically we wood framed off 4 - 12'W x 8'H sections and covered with a very thin sheet of paneling. We planned on glueing the 2" pink foam sheets around the entirety and carving out the design and painting the sheets to resemble the stone work. Can you explain why you would use both 1" and 2" rather than covering the entriety with one size? Do you mean adding 1" on top of the 2" in spots for effect? We were also thinking of adding a super thin plywood over the corners and middle for design and to secure the foam sheets beyond the glue. I wasn't sure if using those pink foam sheets would be the best option so thank you for supporting that.

If anyone has paint recommendations or good methods for mimicing stonework via carving / melting the foam please let me know. I will definitely try and search out Holleywood Haunter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so we framed 4 wall yesterday and covered it with a very thin paneling.
View attachment 348753

The original idea was to cover with foam around the entirety and carve and paint over the next week. While at home depot I saw this vinyl flooring which would cost the same as the foam and save a ton of time! Im a little concerned about having a flat surface that it may look cheesy, but think we could weather it up a little and add some wood of foam on the corners similar to the concept in the OP. Thoughts?
View attachment 348761

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Davis graveyard has some great tutorial PDFs on how carve stone facade. For painting, paint black drylock for stone texture. The use a sea sponge rollers to add grey and white highlights. You will only have a little of the grey paint on the roller...similar to dry brushing. Roll out the excess on cardboard. Roll gently on the black. Several passes create a stone like look. Practice first to get the technique on cardboard. It is actually pretty easy. This is a link to my mausoleum. I used this paint technique. https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157628059938654. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow you did such a great job! I would love to replicate that! Thanks so much for posting. Is that all painted foam? I was thinking about using the 2" pink foam insulation foam sheets. Do you have a recommendation?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd definitely recommend using the "theater flats" approach, if you want to have something that'll be more storable, modular and easier to handle, set up, etc.

I've contemplated doing something along these lines but it'd be larger--and seemingly out of place--in my front yard. Good luck! Please post pics of the progress!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes i would also do a sort of "Theatre flat".....using the 2" foam insulation glued onto a wooden sub-frame that you can attach at the corners.....as one user suggested "modular" to it can be easily taken apart after. Glue the foam to the wooden frame using a suitable construction adhesive that won't melt the foam. To get the "stone look" i would use a variety of tools, say. a router or hand tools to "rough out" the bricks and then, using sandpaper an/or a wire brush to give it all some texture. Finally paint it all with a latex or acrylic paint and then coat the whole thing with say, a Varithane spray or brush-on to "weather-proof" it all against the elements and so your paint job doesn't run. Any type of paint or substance with a thinner or varsol base will eat the foam immediately. Cotact cement will NOT join foam, it also eats it although if you "splatter" some paint thinner on your panels, it will give them that "eaten" or "weathered" look.....but not too much.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the contributions!

Does anyone have a glue / paint recommendation? I think I have decided to ditch the vinyl floor idea and go full foam painting / carving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
JameButibi....thanks for your kind words. The exterior is all painted 1/2 inch pink foam from Home Depot. They are glued to 1 X 2 modular frames using liquid nails. I have seen several members glue and use wood screws with washers to adhere the foam. You can cover the screws with spakle. Once you add Drylock, you can't tell the screws are there. If I had to do it over again, I would also use screws.

For your last question. You can use a dremel or dremel trio to carve the stone blocks...For glue...Liguid nails....for paint...Tinted black drylock for base coat (also adds stone texture due to sand in the paint). Grey and light grey exterior latex paint from Walmart for color texture. Sea sponge roller from Lowes for color texture. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts