Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
not sure if i have the right section, so please move it if not.

i am wanting to build a few static figures such as jason, freddy etc and i have built timber mannequins ready for them. i intend to add a head to the mannequins and then buy a mask to put over the head. Styrofoam heads are currently about £6 each ($10) in the uk.

as i want about 8 of these i came up the following idea (WHICH I HAVE NOT TRIED) - i am writing to see if anyone else has tried it before and if anyone can see any problems in it....

to make a head i was thinking about using expanding foam in a balloon, just enough so that the foam expands to the balloon shape size. i think that i would need to use latex balloons (stronger) of a certain size and be careful as to how much i spray into the balloon as i want the ballon to hold the foam, and not burst.

was also thinking that this might work for hands in disposable latex gloves etc.

as anyone else thought of this, tried this, think it is the worst idea ever????

thanks for your responses!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
DrKreepy1 does this with expanding foam. I actually tried it with my skull mold and it worked pretty good. I don't know why you couldn't take some kind of mold similar to a mannequin head to make the foam head. Oh and you do have to be patient because I was so anxious to see the results that I messed up on my first attempt. Good Luck I hope this link will help you.
YouTube - Cheap Easy skulls
Also Great Stuff (expanding foam) is only around $4 a can at the moment, so take advantage of the price and stock up on a few cans. I love the stuff and use it for any props I need guts for. Also used it on my spider prop.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
Hi
not sure if i have the right section, so please move it if not.

i am wanting to build a few static figures such as jason, freddy etc and i have built timber mannequins ready for them. i intend to add a head to the mannequins and then buy a mask to put over the head. Styrofoam heads are currently about £6 each ($10) in the uk.

as i want about 8 of these i came up the following idea (WHICH I HAVE NOT TRIED) - i am writing to see if anyone else has tried it before and if anyone can see any problems in it....

to make a head i was thinking about using expanding foam in a balloon, just enough so that the foam expands to the balloon shape size. i think that i would need to use latex balloons (stronger) of a certain size and be careful as to how much i spray into the balloon as i want the ballon to hold the foam, and not burst.

was also thinking that this might work for hands in disposable latex gloves etc.

as anyone else thought of this, tried this, think it is the worst idea ever????

thanks for your responses!!!
It works fine in balloons and gloves. I've used regular cheap balloons and they work fine, just do not over fill, it's pretty easy to judge as the foam expands quickly. You need to make sure it dries all the way through (put it out in the sun) before trying to carve or shape it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your quick replies.

i will definately try it, i will probably try a couple of moulds as well as some balloons.

i know from experience when i have used the stuff around door frames etc that you have to be careful or else it ends up everywhere (anybody who hasn't tried this, please take note!!).

i was imagining me, with a balloon in hand wathing it slowly expand and expand until the balooon could take no more..........the nagging question i had in my mind was what would happen to the foam if the balloon burst!!!

anyway thanks again, i will try this out and been careful at the bottom of the garden i hope to have some success.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes pleasssseeeeeee be careful not to get it on your hands! I'm known as the goo girl in the hauntforum. :) Anyway be sure to wear latex gloves that you can dispose of afterwards. I got it on my hands and it took a week in a half to totally get it off. Not a pretty sight!!!!!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Yes pleasssseeeeeee be careful not to get it on your hands! I'm known as the goo girl in the hauntforum. :) Anyway be sure to wear latex gloves that you can dispose of afterwards. I got it on my hands and it took a week in a half to totally get it off. Not a pretty sight!!!!!
Aww, goo girl is an affectionate term. Your story was so funny, I remember it well. Hee!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts