Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
hey man, i actually tried and it didn't work too well, scared kid ran through it. i upgraded to a wooden fence and its cheap if you do as i did. contact a lumber yard (not home depot or lowes) or saw mill, usally they have what they call bottom boards, they come in on the bottom of bundles of wood and are perfect for old worn fences, and usally they give it away. i got a load for free it was like 40 8' boards. lucky me

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I would think cutting foam to resemble bars or pickets would get too thin and brittle. You could reinforce them with wood but then you could have built it from the beginning with only wood and saved time and money (and aggrivation).

I think foam wouldn't work very well as stated above.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used electrical pvc, 1x2 wood furring strips and 4 inch pvc and plastic finials for decorations. Each 4 foot section of fence cost about 6 dollars. Its is sturdy, light and looks surprisingly close to wrought iron, if that would be your preference. I have seen some people make some really nice fence from old pallets as well.

This shows my materials. Those white rings are the 4 inch pvc cut in slices.

Assembled fence

Painted fence

Close up. This is where I used the "rings" and you can see the spear point finials. I got them at www.kingmetals.com. They were 25 cents apeice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jaege, I love your fence, that was really great looking! I want to do one for this year and you have really inspired me to get it done! Thanks for posting.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found a bundle of lath at Menards that I have used the last two years. I tipped the ends of the "poles" and then I buy the square posts to nail them to and pound them to the ground. But if the wind isn't too bad, my 1" nails usually hold them together, if the wind is terrible, I just go back out with the nailer. And so far I have pulled them apart each year and put them back together. We will see how they hold this year after being nailed together a few times. But isn't that the glory of Halloween, we want them to look run down and broken... if you want to see pics, pm me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jaege, I love your fence, that was really great looking! I want to do one for this year and you have really inspired me to get it done! Thanks for posting.:)
Great, I am happy to inspire or assist in any way I can, since other haunters here have done the same for me. Haunters have to stick together. I know cost is always a factor but you want it to look good and hold up for a few years too.

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
I used electrical pvc, 1x2 wood furring strips and 4 inch pvc and plastic finials for decorations. Each 4 foot section of fence cost about 6 dollars. Its is sturdy, light and looks surprisingly close to wrought iron, if that would be your preference. I have seen some people make some really nice fence from old pallets as well.

Assembled fence

Painted fence

Close up. This is where I used the "rings" and you can see the spear point finials. I got them at www.kingmetals.com. They were 25 cents apeice.
Great lookin fence! Two thumbs way up for ya! :D

I have never attempted to make a foam fence as the winds here in Rialto CA are very bad! They would blow away too fast...:eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Drywall screws through the wood into each picket,pvc cement for the finials and hot glue to keep the rings in place. By the way, I LOVE hot glue. I cannot say enough about its incredible value. I was never a hot gluer before I started making my own props, but now, I use it for everything. It is a must have tool.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts

Assembled

Painted fence

Where were you when I built my fence...those circles look great!!!!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,632 Posts
such an inspiration, Ive been looking at making fences for a potential walk through, this may do the trick!. Sturdy but high enough so people wont be tempted to step over and traipse through where they shouldnt. Also, its something you can touch without hurting yourself, splinter free!

A couple questions-
what size is the pvc pipes?
did you anchor the fence by placing the bottom pvc onto rebar?
Do you have a way to attach each section of fence to the next one? Or just have them side by side unattached?

·
Registered
183 Posts
and one other questions...

Jaege,

I assume the furring strips are cut in half for 4 ft sections. Did you cut the 10' pvc into four 30" sections, or three 40" sections?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I cut each piece of pvc into three 40 inch pieces. Less waste and a slightly taller fence. Yes, I cut each furring strip into 4 foot sections.

·
Registered
237 Posts
such an inspiration, Ive been looking at making fences for a potential walk through, this may do the trick!. Sturdy but high enough so people wont be tempted to step over and traipse through where they shouldnt. Also, its something you can touch without hurting yourself, splinter free!

A couple questions-
what size is the pvc pipes?
did you anchor the fence by placing the bottom pvc onto rebar?
Do you have a way to attach each section of fence to the next one? Or just have them side by side unattached?

The pvc pickets were made from 1/2 inch electrical pvc (rather then plumbing pvc) the grey stuff that you can find in the electrical department. It was a quarter cheaper per piece. I used small pieces (3 inch long) of furring strip, painted black, to screw the top rails of each section together so each section was attached to its neighboring section. I did use 3 foot sections of rebar hammered into the ground and slid a pvc picket over it to hold it in place. One piece per section. Since it was all essentially screwed together it held just fine.

When I built my gate columns I added little wooden tabs on each side to attach the fence to it as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
cool

jaege, your fence is amazing, i might use some of your ideas in the future. and i wouldn't use foam for a fence as it only takes one spooked kid to run through it and your money is wasted, i was thinking of using foam to make fake boarded up windows as it hopefully wouldn't get damaged.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts