Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a fire place i have been working on for a a few weeks now, i have it about as far as my ideas can carry me... all i can do is stare at it now (i know we have all been there) :) please help me come up with a way to either "gore it up" or add something to it to make it "haunted". i plan on putting it in a shack incorporated with a ghost mining town.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/joe2x4-albums-foam-carved-fire-place-needs-finish-ideas.html

sorry the pictures arnt in order once i uploaded them i cant fingure out how to change the order... i could use help with that too :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not sure how well it would work with the design but my first thought was a mantel. If you did go with a mantel you would probably need a wood frame inside of the fireplace to hold it and the weight on it (books, busts,ect).
Just a thought
And you could always throw some bones in the fire! :D

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure how well it would work with the design but my first thought was a mantel. If you did go with a mantel you would probably need a wood frame inside of the fireplace to hold it and the weight on it (books, busts,ect).
Just a thought
And you could always throw some bones in the fire! :D

Good luck!!!!
it is funny you would say that... i actually started a mantle. because the chimney will come off i was going to lift it and add a 7" mantle...

close up...

i am going to build all the sides and put it together, just need to get the color right... this seems too light.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Steaming witch cauldron.

Unusual fire, with purple/blue/green flames with a skull in the middle

Charred torso over a fake fire.

Half of Santa (he got stuck and the momentum made him half the man he is)

An upside-down gremlin or alien peeking in from above.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You can stretch webbing all over it and add spiders and also darken the inside where the years of a fire would have caused alot of soot. Not really scarey but realistic :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think i am liking the charred torso... the opening is only 3' so im not sure a body would fit (short a child, that might be too twisted)... maybe hot ambers with chared remains... a few bones and a rib cage with a little flesh hanging off, almost like the victim was burned a few hours earlier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can stretch webbing all over it and add spiders and also darken the inside where the years of a fire would have caused alot of soot. Not really scarey but realistic :)
yeah i need to fill the inside with brick yet. just looks liek a shell now. think i will put the webs all over the outside and remains inside.:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ideas for halloween fireplace/chimney prop

My Ideas: Feel free to use any or all of these ideas as I offer them as a gift to you with no strings attached.

1. You could put a speaker inside the "fireplace" and make it sound like there is a real bee hive in there with a lot of angry bees that might be escaping to bite people. That would scare me. I am allergic to bee bites.
2. Instead of bees, you could get a recording from somewhere of hornets and tell people there is a hornets' nest that somehow got stuck inside the "fireplace". I don't think I am allergic to hornets but it would still scare me as I'm not really sure what in fact a hornet is. I am pretty sure they bite tho.
3. Wasps. Do the thing with the speaker, but this time have a recording of wasps. Not bees or hornets. Again, I don't know if I've ever seen a wasp, but they sound bad. I wouldn't want to get bit by one, and I am sure anybody visiting your fireplace scene would not want to mess with them. After they have heard the sound of the wasps for a while you can yell: "Oh no, I think the wasps are flying out of the fireplace!!! Run! Run for your lives!! These are radioactive wasps from that nuclear power plant that got earthquaked in Japan!!! They will seriously mess you up!!!"

I have more ideas but I will save them for a later post, as this one is getting long.
Anyway, good luck with the fireplace. It looks hot - literally! :eek:

·
Registered
348 Posts
What about a mounted head over the mantel? It could always be corpsed. Maybe a deer or moose skull?

You could also place some candles next to the opening too. Maybe with skeleton arm type candle holders.

Looks great so far though. post pics when you're done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i love it part about bring up the "nuclear power plant that got earthquaked in Japan!!!" really helps bringing the realism home... and i do actually have wasps in my area! they are more aggressive than bees and dont lose there stinger after one sting... so they will sting your repeatedly, YAY!:D **and a samori wasp would just be devistating!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about a mounted head over the mantel? It could always be corpsed. Maybe a deer or moose skull?

You could also place some candles next to the opening too. Maybe with skeleton arm type candle holders.

Looks great so far though. post pics when you're done.

the corpsed animal head is it!!!! that will add to the outside. i will web it as well! It will go perfect with the cabin in the woods/mining town theme too!! thank you for that idea... i guess my only problem will be to find one. i have a few months yet i will get it knocked out! thanks again!!!:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Moose skull or not: A thoughtful reply

A moose skull is a great idea, but I think you should still consider the more frightening Bee/Hornet/Wasp idea as I outlined it for you. Although it would have a certain charm, I'm afraid a moose skull is just not that scary - even with spider webs and oozing blood and such. Whenever a moose is mentioned people automatically think of that cartoon moose Bullwinkle. They can't help it. The TV networks have programmed it into their brains. And Bullwinkle is never scary. He's humorous. So just a friendly heads up as to the use of a moose skull. I wouldn't want all that work you put into the "fireplace" go for naught.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with the mantel. I think you could incorporate some skulls or skellies holding it up like brackets. Add a creepy old mining portrait over the mantel to tie in with your theme. Something like this.... http://www.artloversnewyork.com/zine/wp-content/photos/steven_kasher___National_ge.jpg

Oh and really nice fireplace. :)
well first off thank you for liking it! :)

that picture it really cool! now you are going to put me on a hunt for a full size portrait... i think it would be cool to put glass eyes in place of his and maybe even put a strobe light on a motion sensor on his head. ;)

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it has been a little while... had to take a week of haut stuff to build a fence in the back yard for the wife...:)
This is what i came up with based on some great ideas...

this will be placed in side the fire place. i am working on getting the deer/moose head to hang above the mantle.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,845 Posts
Don't forget to add some black around the edge of the opening. If you're burnin' bodies, you gotta get some HIGH HEAT goin' & that would char the edges of the opening.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Inner looks great, good job.
Did a pro haunt fire place that doubled as a moving hidden door / secret passage but for the layout of the fire place we put up a 3'' thick wall of plaster and simply pushed a skull head in the plaster in about 60 different places leaving negative molds then took some zinc powder and went over all the impressions before we cleared it.
Afterwards you bring in the blacklight and stand back, the skull impressions move and kinda follow you and turn, cheap and easy fix and it added some serious flare to a dead spot in the room we really wanted to accent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts