Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is the first prop i've started work on this year I thought i'd share and see if anyone had tips for painting...

A friend had foam strips that were going to end up in the bin, so I saved them and transformed them into books for my Witches lair that will be taking over my lounge this Halloween for our Party!

I'm thinking Red or Black acrylic with Silver for the symbol...
then use white paint with coffee to stain the inner pages...
then use a craft knife to score ridges and create the illusion of pages, if this doesnt show up too much use a cocktail stick with trace amounts of black or grey and drag lines across...

here's the pics:

lemme know if you have any tips, ideas or opinions :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is too cool!
thank you!!! :D
waste not want not! hehe

plus I wanted large books I could stack up and have lying around + random props for people to have their pics with at the party :)

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Interesting. And the little kids would think those books are a lot more comfortable sitting on than phone books at the kitchen table. :p Plus it wouldn't hurt as much with the phrase "throw the book at him".

I do like your use of white for the pages and the yellow bound cover.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. And the little kids would think those books are a lot more comfortable sitting on than phone books at the kitchen table. :p Plus it wouldn't hurt as much with the phrase "throw the book at him".

I do like your use of white for the pages and the yellow bound cover.
hehehe.... btw: they aren't finished yet thats just the base Foam colour :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of foam is it?

if it's foam rubber, I'd do spray paint for a base coat and go from there. rigid foam, acrylics should be good

its erm soft 'upholstery'? foam, used for an old Futon Mattress... bought a new sofa bed and had to trim a chunk off to make it fit the new bed/sofa.

Didn't want to waste it so now its books :D - I've used it before and Acrylic tends to take quite well to it and hardens the foam.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
They look great, Scry.
Ingenious use of "rubbish" is always good to see.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look great, Scry.
Ingenious use of "rubbish" is always good to see.
I couldn't bare to bin it when I could see its potential...
I'm currently carving two other strips up to make a broken Asylum sign to hang above our Front door :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Check out the following sites for examples. consider using charms etc. found at most costume shops for book cover embellishments. I like the idea of gold page edges. To create the page edges I would attempt to give them a ragged look by plowing out the edges on a table saw. I have never tried this before with soft foam so I can't say wheather it would work
Good luck with your book.

Witches Moon Books of Shadows & Grimoires

Book of Shadows at New Moon Occult Shop

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I remember my very first tomb stones were made out of foam rubber. They were easy to pack away for the season. I still have them and use them to fill out body props when needed. I haven't been able to toss them and waste them either in over 20 years................

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just thought i'd pop by and show you where I'm up to at the moment:

the brown one is loosely based on the hocus pocus book, will end up with an eye and stitching in the cuts...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Those look great! I love the fact that they are really lightweight and easy to store. In the past, I have always used cardboard for the cover of large books and covered it with toilet paper macher to simulate leather. It works well, but you end up with a hard outside.

Your painting on the covers is wonderful and i can't wait to see the brown one finished with the eye. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those look great! I love the fact that they are really lightweight and easy to store. In the past, I have always used cardboard for the cover of large books and covered it with toilet paper macher to simulate leather. It works well, but you end up with a hard outside.

Your painting on the covers is wonderful and i can't wait to see the brown one finished with the eye. :)
thank you!! :)

the books are kinda firm yet squishy now that the paints dried :D

will update as soon as i finish the brown book :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts