Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
put a very thin coat of Vaseline on the mannequin ,then get a cheap spray bottle and add very hot water and spray a light mist on the Vaseline to speed the foam cure ,spray one can of great stuff in form as in the picture.
DSC01334.jpg
place pvc in cuts and place something heavy on the legs and neck to keep them from being expanded up from the foam,use the rest of the first can of foam to hold the pvc , now do a heavy mist with the hot water to speed cure time
DSC01341.jpg
it should dry fast , when the foam is dry do a light mist with hot water on the dry foam then spray the second can of foam to fill in the mold and cover all the pvc ,then do a heavy mist of hot water on the foam ,when dry pull it off the mold
DSC01346.jpg
DSC01970.jpg
DSC01973.jpg
I use empty water bottles or pool noodles for the arms and legs to fill the body out ,I don't have pics

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
I had been eagerly waiting for this LOTD, just in time for weekend, thanks for taking the time to put up the tut despite you not feeling well, hope you are feeling better

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did something happen?

to make the foam body mannequin you need a mannequin hanger , they sell male and female

I swear (without cursing, that is) that I saw a post almost identical to this one with the same pics and directions, but with a link to the "they" you mentioned. . . . I clicked on it and got to a site where the hangers were under $5 - but because I'm a Pinterest junkie, I clicked on a lot of things and can't find it or the site again.
P.S. I'm pretty sure your post was the final straw that made me turn from a "lurker" to an actual registered user. . .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know what happened overnight? It was dry when I brought inside up to my game room. ..anyone know what I did wrong?
View attachment 213872
the first one turned out great ,are you using great stuff foam ? I used the G E foam once and had bad luck. I think you used too much hot water , and didn't leave it in the mold long enough to form to the mold

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I've been making foam skulls like this for quite a while, but never thought of using the body forms! Great idea LOTD!!!
With that thickness of foam, curing times can differ greatly & temp is a factor too. Heat tends to liquify the unset foam-found
that out when I thought setting the skulls outside would help to quick set...apparently not in 104 degrees.
Scorpion, your GS body, IMO, looks pretty cool & creepy. Old & broke down (hey, I resemble that remark), but still totally useable.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
to make the foam body mannequin you need a mannequin hanger , they sell male and female

I swear (without cursing, that is) that I saw a post almost identical to this one with the same pics and directions, but with a link to the "they" you mentioned. . . . I clicked on it and got to a site where the hangers were under $5 - but because I'm a Pinterest junkie, I clicked on a lot of things and can't find it or the site again.
P.S. I'm pretty sure your post was the final straw that made me turn from a "lurker" to an actual registered user. . .
I've found these forms at thrift stores & yard sales-$5 or under.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
the first one turned out great ,are you using great stuff foam ? I used the G E foam once and had bad luck. I think you used too much hot water , and didn't leave it in the mold long enough to form to the mold
The first pic is actually the same one in second photo, I think I used too much of something, it was great stuff but I might have used too much of something, could have been too much vase line combined with too much water, don't know but it started rising off the mold and disengaged by itself, plus I used up three cans too trying to get the back fuller, it wound up looking too blobby, I can still use it for a creepy deformed torso but I really wanted it to stay as in the first pick but no problem, I knew I wasn't going to hit a homerun on my first attempt just need to tinker with it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The first pic is actually the same one in second photo, I think I used too much of something, it was great stuff but I might have used too much of something, could have been too much vase line combined with too much water, don't know but it started rising off the mold and disengaged by itself, plus I used up three cans too trying to get the back fuller, it wound up looking too blobby, I can still use it for a creepy deformed torso but I really wanted it to stay as in the first pick but no problem, I knew I wasn't going to hit a homerun on my first attempt just need to tinker with it
you want to put the Vaseline on as thin as you can and just a light mist of the hot water ,make sure the first coat is fully dry you can stick coat hanger or a stick in the foam to make sure it's dry, then add the second coat and make sure it's dry all the way thru before de-molding, the back should not matter ,but if you need a smooth looking back use a harbor freight hot knife and do it out side ,I have used it too make ribs on the foam mannequin ,
DSC01347.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
latex foam body mannequin

this is how I made the latex foam body mannequin
DSC01342.jpg
add mold latex to cup ( I used latex from Michaels craft store, it is ok but try to get latex from bity mold supply their latex is a lot better ) add skin tone paint and mix
DSC01328-1.jpg
DSC01338.jpg
put a very thin coat of Vaseline on mannequin mold and then brush on thin coat of latex and when dry add 2nd coat
DSC01330.jpg
DSC01331.jpg
DSC01333.jpg
when latex is dry add one can of foam (do not add water or the latex will not stick to the foam) when dry poke holes in foam with a stick or coat hanger to help the inside to dry ,after it is dry and 2nd can of foam let dry and poke holes and let dry
DSC01334-1.jpg

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
Thank you LOTD, in hindsight I definitely went to heavy on vaseline and probably too much water, I might have tripped up since I wasn't inserting the pvc on this one so it might have thrown me off, definitely going to give it another go.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you LOTD, in hindsight I definitely went to heavy on vaseline and probably too much water, I might have tripped up since I wasn't inserting the pvc on this one so it might have thrown me off, definitely going to give it another go.
you don't have to use the pvc ,just maybe less vas and water and let dry longer before de-molding

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
10 Participants
annamarykahn
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing