Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
/scratches head.

I know this sounds like a stupid question (and maybe it is) but-I don't have a truck-and I have to believe that I'm not the only one;) I can't find anywhere that will deliver the foam board used to make tombstones etc for a sane price. So that makes things a little difficult.

How on earth does everyone get it home without breaking it up?

Does anyone know of anywhere that delivers? Home Depot won't without a ridiculous fee. I could rent a Home Depot truck, but I hate to spend $80 or whatever for the truck to get $30-80 of foam board home. Maybe I'm being cheap. I suppose I could strap a few sheets to the roof of my car, or pre-measure and cut the board in the parking lot, but I lose design flexibility with that option...

does anyone else have ideas for how I might multiple sheets delivered?

thank you in advance for any ideas:)

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
If not a rented u-haul, then maybe you have a friend who has a vehicle that will work and you'll owe them a favor?

It's not so bad when you can take a giant prop out of the box as they come in pieces and the box can be collapsed or HD can recycle there. Foamboard...another thing.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I drove around 40 miles with a 3x6ft piece of white bead foam crammed into a Jeep liberty. It had to sit on the head rests and we had to scrunch down for the entire ride home. It squeaked like crazy the entire 30 minute ride home.
40 miles in 30 minutes, man you were haulin' the mail! :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Most every Home Depot or Lowes have pickup trucks to rent for $19.99

Make it worth your while, buy quite a few boards, then rent the truck to take em all home safe and sound.

Don't be the guy who gets ticketed for an unsecured load.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most foam insulation is scored so you can break it into strips to place between the stud framing. So unless you are making 8' tall tombstones just break it in half or to whatever size that will fit in your vehicle. If you need larger pieces then just splice it back together using wooden dowels and construction or foam board adhesive.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I personally use my trailer, but you can ask Home Depot to rip it into 24"x8' on the panel saw in the lumber dept. that way it's a perfectly straight cut.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Buy a truck, rent a truck or borrow a truck. If you need it 4x8, you need to have a way to transport it. Home Depot's rental pickups aren't that expensive. Get a lot while you're there to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
having the big box store rip them for you can get expensive fast, they charge for each cut or did when I asked about cutting a board. You must have at least one friend with a truck.. off them a tombstone for hauling the foam board. buy several of them to make it worth the trip.

·
Registered
454 Posts
:confused: If you have a 4 banger (i.e. a compact car), or need them the original size, just buy a few of them and rent a truck from Lowes, or Home Depot, it's not that expensive. If you don't, just bring a utility knife and cut them. It's basically that simple.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I totally agree with those who suggest cutting them down and fitting them into your car. We have a Scion XB with luggage racks on the top. All the Styrofoam we pick up from our local furniture store has to find it's way home either inside that car or on top of it. We carry ratcheting straps in the car at all times, because we know we're going to have to use them. We have taken large white Styrofoam pieces home strapped to the top and we haven't ever had them break apart on the way home. We took three panels of the pink stuff home from Home Depot strapped down without any problems.

If you want to feel more secure strapping the foam to the top of your car, buy a 4x8 sheet of plywood and stack the foam on top of it when you tie it down the top of the car. It will give you the support you need to make sure the foam doesn't cave in on the cut lines. Save the plywood for future trips to buy more foam when you find out just how much fun making stuff out of foam is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts