Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me just apologize as I didnt take photos along the way (as I truly didn't think they would turn out this nice and even require a tutorial). 2nd, this is my first tutorial so please if I neglect to give enough detail just ask....I'll be happy to share....

I actually used too different techniques for these barrels. One was paper mache skimmed with foam board while the other is just foam board and cardboard. My preference,* if you don't mind the time...do mache it's much sturdier.

Paper Mache Version:

*First I decided I needed dementions http://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/page/barrel-dimensions/barrel-dimensions

*Then my inspiration http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/125655-how-make-large-cauldron-7.html

-At this time I made 2 cardboard discs.

-Next I made a template for the ribs of my barrel (again you will need to reference the size chart. I found it easiest to fold your paper in half, and mark the height and width (for both top and middle) and then add 1".

(Sorry if that's confusing....here's a pic of what I mean.)
20140913_095237.jpg
20140913_095419.jpg

-Next your going to need to make your cardboard ribs...and trust me you'll be sick of this project by this point lol. I think I had to cut 24 for mine (you'll want a rib about every inch/inch and a half).

-Time to start making your form (you might want an extra pair of hands for this). Place one disc on your work space and simply hot glue a the ribs onto the base, hold in place till glue cools. I did four small clusters (remember your spacing) before adding my top (so as to keep everything aligned). Then start gluing on the top disc. Now you can just fill in the spaces with the remaining ribs (don't forget the glue, even if they feel snug).

Screenshot_2014-09-13-11-47-31.jpg

-Time to start mache (I used 1 part Elmer school glue and 1 part water).

203451d1405461183-we-all-doing-pirates-theme-next-year-right-20140715_164400-1.jpg

(My initial thought was that the mached form would be enough, however the mache contracted and i didnt like the end result. Plus as hard as I tried I could not get the paint to come out like I invisioned.)

Screenshot_2014-09-13-10-02-15-1.jpg

-Scabbing it with foam board. Mine roughly used 2 sheets (grab 3 just in case) of the black foam boards from Dollar Tree. With a tape measure you'll want to take the measure of the outside of your barrel from top to bottom (including curve). Then just transfer your measurement to your foam board and start cutting slats. I did my slat widths at random.

-Now it's time to make these flat foam slats curve. With slat in hand, walk your fingers down the slat carefully applying pressure about every 1". You should notice a fracture line on the back side of the slat (while the front should remain blemish free). Continue this step for the entire slat...and so on and so on. Now grab each curved slat, and using the same technique,* apply pressure to the middle of each end so that it will allow the slat to also curve around your barrel.
20140913_095531.jpg
20140913_095543.jpg

-Nows time to grab the hot glue gun. And it's as simple as that just hot glue the slats on. Some boards will need to have the ends cut down like this(but I used no template).
20140913_100636.jpg

-Time to paint...
* First you'll want to paint anything that's white black. Let dry. Using Burnt Umber craft paint, paint the slats in a vertical motion(it's okay if some black shows through). Let dry. Repeat this step using less paint on the brush(with Traditional Beige). Let dry. Then top it off with a dry brush of White paint.
20140913_094008.jpg

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the rings I simply cut 2" strips of fabric long enough to reach around the barrel (plus 2"). I painted the strips black then after drying I globbed several different colors onto my paint brush and simply pounced the color on. Once dry I folded the strips in half and hot glued it together (both the paint and glue added stiffness). Then I fit it to my barrel, glued the overlapped ends together to create a ring and glued in place.

20140913_094050.jpg

MY VERSION 2 SIMPLY OMITTED THE MACHE....I MADE 2 CARDBOARD DISCS THAT I HOT GLUED FOAM SLATS TO. THIS VERSION REQUIRED DUCT TAPE AS REINFORCEMENT TO THE INTERIOR. IT WAS FASTER AND STILL LOOKS GOOD BUT IT IS LESS STURDY THAN THE MACHE VERSION.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts