Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know lots of people are planning on CarnEvil themes for their haunts so thought I would share this. My DH came home tonight with a flyer for the Flynn Creek Circus that he said he'd like to go to. Checked out their website and very cool, kind of vintage. Not something many get to experience in person these days. The founders trained with a 5th generation of Romanian circus family in the U.K. They have a big old fashioned kind of eerie looking big top circus tent, the costumes look great and since I'll be doing a carnival/circus theme one year thought I could get some ideas from it. Hopefully something wickedly good and enjoyable is coming to your area.

From July-August they'll be setting up tent in Northern and Central California having already played in Ukiah, Mendocino and Santa Rosa, they'll be in Morgan Hill (San Jose/South Bay), Calistoga, Point Arena, Fortuna, Windsor, San Juan Batista next with additional locations and dates TBA thru September 5.

For more info on the circus, photos of performers and acts, videos, location/dates/tickets: http://flynncreekcircus.com

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was watching their 7 videos which run back to back and there's a segment of the husband and wife founders on America's Got Talent receiving 3 yes votes from judges Piers Morgan, Sharon Osborne and Howie Mandel.

Bed of nails, now that's an act I forgot about. How perfect, watching video 7 from Halloween day in Tahiti. And they wish everyone a Happy Halloween too!

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Tent up and circus people were rehearsing. DH said he saw a guy climbing the rope when he went to check on tickets. Can't wait to attend.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had so much fun last night. Amazing body strength and flexibility. Thought I would share some photos since I figure many people have never been to an actual circus performance and might get some ideas for their carnevil acts from the real thing. I'd love to do a trapeze act for mine, have some hoola hoops of varying sizes for my hoop act, and definitely want to do a knife throwing act. Hard to figure out a juggling act to do unless the performer is laying on the ground dead after getting hit by juggling pins (bowling ball pins I have).

Here's another view of the big top tent. I always thought of doing the bottom tarps for my circus tent as the ones being striped. Kind of like the roof portion done that way instead. They have lights running across the top of the tent for nighttime use.

This female performer could spin anything with her body, fingers, hands, legs, or toes. Lots of comedy and great costumes.

Hoop jumping and tumbling along with juggling (balls, pins, flying disks).

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Believe this first act was done on what they called a Chinese pole. Amazing body strength to climb and perform on. Best part for me was when he would be at the top and drop down sliding to within a head of hitting the floor. Then there was Mr. Crane in the big hoop. It was quite beautiful to watch as he maneuver the hoop and his body around the stage. I thought this could be a doable scene for my haunt.

Now knife throwing is definitely a must-do. Not the typical wheel I picture being used. Now they were using real knives that stuck in the wood.

Thinking about it and I wonder if I could take one of my rotating Xmas tree stands and rig a hoop to it so it would "spin" and then have a circus performer anchored to the hoop doing his tricks....

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw someone on here one year do either a high wire act or a trapeze act running a rope from their second bedroom window to their neighbor's second bedroom window. I'd love to include a trapeze but there's about 25 feet between our two houses and not sure how that would work.This is a husband wife duo. The drop down and spinning while connected by a cord in the last photo was edge of seat watching. No nets BTW.

This seesaw acrobatics act was fun to watch. I think someone also did a seesaw act but of course you can't really send your props flying like in real life.

The costuming was fun, playful and gorgeous. They had audience participation, which if you could use briefly in your haunt, could be fun for the kids. We had so much fun we are thinking of going again before they leave the South Bay this week (I was told they have add dates and times for Gilroy later in the schedule, another SF South Bay city).

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Torturing and killing captives from the last army Rome defeated was where "Carnival" came from, since this what they did. Good training. teaching people how to laugh as someone else suffers.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If all goes as planned when I do our yard walk thru for this theme, the Big Top tent will be created from our dining pergola in the backyard. And this 9 x 6 foot backdrop will go on the garage door viewable from the street. It would make sense to do the pergola circus tent with a striped top to match this.

I bought this backdrop from Oriental Trading last year on sale. Just checked with them and it's still available this year: http://www.orientaltrading.com/big-top-terror-backdrop-banner-a2-13655701.fltr?prodCatId=551278 It's part of their Big Top Terror line of party goods. I had also bought a few rolls of their BTT tablecloth roll on sale then: http://www.orientaltrading.com/big-top-terror-tablecloth-roll-a2-13657354.fltr?prodCatId=553744 . I liked the splattered look of it and the yellowed white stripes--more vintage and scary. The rolls are 40in. x 100ft and pretty heavy so look for a free ship offer if you are considering it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts