Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I found this video of these flying witches and I would like to try and build them myself.

I have the basic concept of how these are being turned, at least I think I do, but not sure exactly what type of motor I should be looking for. I assume that it is something a bit more powerful than a wiper motor.

The post appears to be a 4x4 or a 6x6 post and the arm they are hanging from looks to be a piece of 1 -2" metal conduit about 8 -10' length. The witches look to be made out of 1/2" PVC, lightweight fabric and styrofoam wig heads so they aren't all that heavy. I would probably make a chicken wire frame around the PVC bodies to give them a bit more dimension and add some dangling legs and feet, most likely just stuffing some tights with plastic bags or polyfil and attach some shoes. Just giving you all some idea about how much the witches would weigh as well as the weight of the arm they hang from so to get a better idea of what type of motor would be best. Hoping that it will be in the $50 or less category.

Here is the video I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6mhL0Qhkso

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
For that design it doesn't appear that a lot of torque is needed. It's turning at about 6 rpm's, I would think a rotisserie motor would work. A wiper motor with a PWM control should also do the job.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that design it doesn't appear that a lot of torque is needed. It's turning at about 6 rpm's, I would think a rotisserie motor would work. A wiper motor with a PWM control should also do the job.
Thanks J-man. So glad to hear that a wiper motor with a PWM should do the trick. I'm not good at figuring out torque ratios or amount of torque needed to run certain things. Now I don't have to worry about buying a different motor.

Now that I have your ear, I have just one more question. Does it look like the shaft of the motor is going through the pipe, or is there some sort of linkage? What do you think would be less binding on the motor?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
For something like that I would just attach the horizontal pipe directly to the motor shaft, there's really no need for any linkage.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again J-man. That is what I was thinking.

After I asked that last question I came across this by sheer luck. It is the building instructions for the flying witches.

So if anyone else is interested in building something like this, here you go. But I think just mounting the pipe or U- channel directly onto the motor shaft would also work. Save money and extra steps that way.

http://www.creepynights.org/Projects/2005/Witches/index.html

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
He used the bigger pulley mounted to the horizontal bar to slow it down. Also, now that I see it better, it's possible that there would be too much weight on the motor if the horizontal bar was attached directly to the motor shaft.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used the bigger pulley mounted to the horizontal bar to slow it down. Also, now that I see it better, it's possible that there would be too much weight on the motor if the horizontal bar was attached directly to the motor shaft.
Thanks again J-man. I'm glad that I happened to find those instructions then so it could give you a better look. I would have just gone ahead and mounted the U-channel or a metal conduit onto the motor shaft. I know the video wasn't very good at showing all that kind of stuff and I searched all of his other videos hoping to find a how to or something that showed how it was set up. So glad I found this forum. Great place to get help and find inspiration. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts