Hey all need some expert help here
I am thinking of using 1 of 2 motors this
https://www.allelectronics.com/index.php?&page=item&id=DCM-249&index=1

Or a reindeer motor which i already have

The questions I have
1 Is the wiper motor too high rpm
2 How to mod the reindeer motor
3 Does the reindeer motor have enough torque

I have seen on the web some people say they have used the reindeer motor but no how tos

Any help would be appreciated

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I think the reindeer motor is not strong enough.
The wiper motor is a bit fast but there are various methods of slowing them down to use.
Many people use the Rotisserie motors.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
I used a reindeer motor for my FCG last year. I do a vertical setup with my motor and crank instead of the typical horizontal set up over the ghost. Doing it vertically allowed me to hide the motor and crank behind the ghost. It worked most of the night but then the load got to be too much and it started just doing a half revolution and then would reset and go the other way. I am going to use a rotisserie motor this year though. I have never used windshield motors so I can't comment on that. Good luck though, this is a fun project.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have built several traditional FCGs. Always used a rotisserie motor with great results. I bought one that used a mirror ball motor that didn't last the night!

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
If you use a rotisserie motor be sure to check how many RPMs it is before you buy it. I bought one several years back and it turned out to be only about 2 rpm. It didn't say on the box how fast it was. It was too slow to use for anything and I ended up finally just throwing it away to get it out of my way.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
591 Posts
No but I can take some pics and show you tommorow becuase I'm starting to build another one to sell.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
hate to tell you all , but first , here is a link to where that motor is CHEAPER , and it will NOT work for a FCG ... not enough torque . Yes , for its size , it DOES have some torque to it ... but NOT enough for a FCG . ( maybe a mini FCG - LOL )
For those interested , these little motors ARE well worth the monies , for some small apps needing some good torque , but ... the part about the 20 milliamps, is for NO load .. and believe me , thie little bad boy CAN suck up the amperage once applied under a load .
The shaft is made of a pliable plastic , which means it WILL and DOES stretch . When I used JUST a piece of square stock (AKA- key way ) when placed under load , it stressed the plastic enough to let the grooves/notches get over-ridden and almost made the inside of the shaft useless . Since I ordered a"few" of these , I simply went and took another motor and worked with it . This time , I used some JB weld on the key stock and THEN stuck it into the motor shaft and its worked pretty good now . Tested it overnight under load and no streching of the plastic/nylon shaft . :)
I ended up using mine for tombstone head-poppers using those styro wig heads with maskes on them . Works great !
But .. its DEFINATELY well worth the $3.00 for it .
Heres a link for those interested :
Burden Sales Surplus Center Item Detail

·
Banned
101 Posts
Yeah .. which is cheaper than when I called that place for a price for ONE shipped to Iowa ... ( think , they're also making a smidge off the top on the shipping as well ! ) Not to mention I was also told that there is a $10.00 MINIMUM order ( not including shipping ) from that other place .

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I bought a FCG assembly off of ebay last year, it uses a reindeer motor and worked very well all night long, just the right speed and very quiet. the key is they used pulleys at the suspension points, so it works very smoothly with minimum drag, and a counter balance. So when it was balanced properly and with the pulleys it took very little effort to make it work. In addition the motor is water proof and comes with a pig tail extra plug which worked great for the black light. The ghost was the standard styrofoam wig head, foam hands and cheese cloth,

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
scareisburg, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of your fcg mechanism would you? especially the pulleys and counter balance.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Yes , those little enclosed motors they use on them rheindeer ARE excellent . Have LOTS of torque for such a little booger .
And ditto on the pics of the counter balance ( got the pulley setup just right , but , hey , if I can ease the pressure on the motor ... that would be great . )
I have it where the motor have a itty bitty little chain that came off one of those electric scooters and used the sprocket as well , then had it connect to a bicycle rim - 10 speed so I could vary the speed without reducing the torque of the motor by lowering the voltage or current ) The motor is on a drawer slide with a spring pullback for a tensioner , and the actual cabling ( which is some crab pot trap line that has minimal stretch and plenty of strength ) is where i believe it takes the pressure from the motor to get it going . I also use a double pulley setup there as well , the larger wheel ( again , bicycle rim with rubber liner ) and a small pulley that holds the line UP , so with any "bouncing" , it take the bounce out so the line stays on the main pulleys .
But , again , would LOVE to see a pic or two of the counter balance setup .

·
Banned
101 Posts
Duh ... my goof ... Yes , I thought the Axworthy was being referenced . again ..... BIG DUH on mjy part ... LOL :eek:

Lets see ... open mouth , lift foot , shove in , and step back with ohter foot without falling , and shut up ...

yep , thats what I'll do >>>>>>>>>>>>>:D:rolleyes:

Sorry :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts