Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a FCG on this site. I've never seen one before, and I love it! I'm trying to evaluate build or buy, keeping in mind there is only one full weekend between now and Halloween.

I've only been looking around less than one day, but it seems like finding the motors are a bit of a pain... Either have to go to the junkyard, or pay ~$60 for a new one. And if I get a 12v, then I need a transformer too. I've not even started to look for the head -I really like the versions that have a ghostly woman's face. Any idea where I could purchase that?

The rest of the rig seems really easy. But if I have to pay for a motor, and the woman's face mask is a few bucks, seems I'm maybe 1/2 way to just buying a new (premade) unit.

I'm interested in buying advice -for the motor, the mask/head, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
depending on how mechanically enclined you are you could build it in one day - personally i am better with the more artistic stuff and not as comfortable with the measuring - cutting - and mechanical side --- that being said it still only took me two days - i second monsterguts for the motor - there are decent looking full builds for sale on ebay if you want to go that route but much more expensive than do it yourself...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions so far, thanks! The rig by Ghostbuilders is excellent (but pricey). And Monsterguts seems to be the king, everyone is suggesting them for the motor. So good to have a place to go that many people have had good experience with.

Any additional suggestions are still welcome!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I'll second a good review with ghostbuilders FCG. Bought mine from them a few years back ( got it cheaper thru EBay bid, 1/2 price from what they normally get )
Good quiet motor, well made,I like the foam hands ( which i purchased a few extra ).

When mine 1st arrived, one of the finger tips was broken off, I emailed them & had an apology & a PAIR of replacement hands mailed to me by end of that week ! great customer service :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it looks great! Did you soak the fabric in something to make the fabric glow under blacklight? That really helps the effect, if you can afford a big enough blacklight.... I noticed Halloween City has a 20% off any single regular price item coupon online, btw. By "online" I mean you print it out off the web then take that into their stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have purchased a few "gear motors" on ebay. I've been able to use them with great success. I just look for a low RPM from 3-6 or so. Only downside is ensure you are not getting a rotisserie motor as those are fairly loud.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking of stopping by Home Depot today (just because it's close) to see if they had any rotisserie motors. I wouldn't have known they were loud until much farther down the road, when it may have been too late to do anything about it. So thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, I soaked it in RIT whitener over night, then let it dry when I went to work the next day. I have a 48" Black-light to illuminate it with so It glows really well. Here's a shot I have of it under the black light...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up buying a GhostBuilders model. If anyone wants another opinion on them, after this Halloween I'll have one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just made one cost around 200 even a litle bit more but pretty well made

rig total with pulley aluminum bar all the piece 160 from home depot

motor around 67 $ dayton 3m096

skull head 10 $

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just got mine done and operational. I got it done on the cheap end. Scrap wood to build the rig. I just used eyelets mounted to the rig instead of pulley's $2.50, Got my cheese cloth buy one get one free from Jo Ann fabrics $4, a foam skull from walmart $4 Found the motor and A/C adapter online for about $15. add some old wire coat hangers from my parents house and voila! All in all it cost me about $30... Here's a couple video's of it in action...
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/elguapoguano/Halloween%202010/?action=view¤t=FCGFlyingCrankGhost.mp4

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ElGuapoGuano -where did you find a motor for $15? That's always the most expensive part of the rig, and $15 is an amazing price!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts