Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this idea for a while after seeing one of those solar/battery powered flying birds. http://www.amazon.com/Hummingbird-B...1432940420&sr=8-1&keywords=flying+hummingbird
I went ahead and bought one to see if my idea might work.
The birds are quite small, and are made out of Styrofoam with feathers glued onto them. I decided to do something simple for starters. I cut out a bat shape made from peel and stick black felt, and stuck it right onto the excising bird.
I wanted to keep this as light weight as possible, because the motor on these couldn't take much weight. Also the wire that suspends the bird can't hold much either without sagging. I painted the unit black, as to not be so noticeable. I took this project over to show Steve (Halstaff) and he thought it might be possible to hack this to run off AC power.....wall wart. Steve also thought we could make a bigger version of this to accommodate a bigger bat. The unit runs on one AAA battery, or solar. The battery option on this particular model of flying bird comes in handy for night time use. The bat I cut out has a wing span of about five inches. I thought this would be a nice atmosphere effect if 2-3 of these were placed around a tombstone fluttering around for example. Maybe add some nice lighting. My partners in crime on this are P5, Hilda and The Halloween Lady. We are all making our own version, and have been talking back and forth about different ideas. Make sure you chime in ladies! I took a few day/night test videos I'll post. The position of the stake the motor and the bat sits upon, seems to dictate the moment of the way the bat flies. When the stake is straight up and down, the bat flutters around in a circle. When the stake is offset, the bat flutters/flies more in place.
Any ideas or suggestions are more than welcome. This is something I threw together in a very shot time. A very easy project.

·
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Looks great Robert! I like the black light shot....I swear that thing looks like it's jacked up on RedBulls...ha, ha.:D
Here it is under a strobe light. Looks like he's coming down off the Red Bull high ;)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Look at that bat go!! It's a great idea Batzilla. I love it!!
Well I had so much fun chatting about the bat. However, my only crime here is botching mine up. ;) haha

What??!?! P5 set me up. I really thought Nutella and toilet paper could work.
Well, back to the drawing board.

Here's my submission.
Poor bird. I promise. You will have a new life.
I am determined to do this! :D

IMG_7113.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Great wing action in those videos! That's an excellent project!

I have the butterfly version (instead of the bird) that I've adapted to Luna Moth (a very simple change to make) for my upcoming bayou. I really wanted a stationary moth with sporadically opening and closing wings (going for visual impact over entomological correctness). I lack any micro-robotics know-how, however, so I went with cheap and easy. (It's shameful, really; once upon a time I worked as an electronics technician. Sadly, we only worked with boring temp. controllers.)

Gasp! What have you done, Hilda?? lol! Having seen your previous work, I'm sure you'll make a gem out of him yet!

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Bobzilla, cute! Your little bat looks great and does a pretty good job flying around. Have you figured out what the average run time is for solar charge and for batteries? Without AC that would be crucial for me before considering it. Would have to last for at least 4 hours or so for me. I have two of those brown flying bat props that works on a similar rotating flightpath principle and two of the flapping wing bats from GR a few years back so animated bats are always worth considering for my haunt. Love things with action.

I wouldn't want to see these operating on the ground so was wondering if it might be possible for the motor part to be mounted to a raised beam of some sort that could run either overhead or out along the sides of the ToT path....like bats overhead in an old mining cave? With some uplighting you should be able to notice it flying about. Could you please post a close up photo of the motor part where the bird wires are attached to? Is the stake easily detachable or would it need to be cut off from the motor part?

I suppose if you have a large enough cage to allow the bat to rotate in, you could put the motor on the base of the cage and let the bat fly inside. That would probably look cool. Could also be attached to the top of a tall cemetery column or at the top of one of those cemetery arches as long as the motor could be mounted to it somehow without looking weird (cobwebs can cover a lot).

Look forward to seeing what "the Bat Crew" does with the little hummingbirds/bats. :D

·
Registered
14,297 Posts

·
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Spookie!
I haven't done a test to see how long the battery lasts yet. I think if you use the solar mode, it needs to be in the sun constantly to work?
I'm sure you'd be able to mount the motor on just about anything. The ground stake comes a part from the motor. There is a "nub" at the bottom of the motor assembly where the ground stake goes into. You could drill a hole into a piece of wood or what ever, and mount the motor that way. I really like all your ideas!
We are on the same page for sure. If this were lit right, you could get some really cool atmosphere shadow effects from the bat flying around. My first thought was to have the bats flying around some tombstones, or like you suggested, a tall cemetery column. Lots of possibilities for sure. If we can't get this hacked for AC, I recommend lithium- ion batteries. They last like five times longer than a regular battery. I'll get some pics taken for you soon :)

Bobzilla, cute! Your little bat looks great and does a pretty good job flying around. Have you figured out what the average run time is for solar charge and for batteries? Without AC that would be crucial for me before considering it. Would have to last for at least 4 hours or so for me. I have two of those brown flying bat props that works on a similar rotating flightpath principle and two of the flapping wing bats from GR a few years back so animated bats are always worth considering for my haunt. Love things with action.

I wouldn't want to see these operating on the ground so was wondering if it might be possible for the motor part to be mounted to a raised beam of some sort that could run either overhead or out along the sides of the ToT path....like bats overhead in an old mining cave? With some uplighting you should be able to notice it flying about. Could you please post a close up photo of the motor part where the bird wires are attached to? Is the stake easily detachable or would it need to be cut off from the motor part?

I suppose if you have a large enough cage to allow the bat to rotate in, you could put the motor on the base of the cage and let the bat fly inside. That would probably look cool. Could also be attached to the top of a tall cemetery column or at the top of one of those cemetery arches as long as the motor could be mounted to it somehow without looking weird (cobwebs can cover a lot).

Look forward to seeing what "the Bat Crew" does with the little hummingbirds/bats. :D

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Thanks Bobzilla. The photos are helpful. This reminds me of Gemmy's Butterfly in the Jar but instead of the wire coming from above this one comes from below. Nice bat shape cutout.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Great job Bob! Hurry up and patent it... Otherwise it's guaranteed to be in the Spirit store or in the Grandinroad catalog this Halloween!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ohhh Batzilla, my dear. Did you paint the base black?!
I was wondering about one aspect of that, too. It looks like you painted over the photoreceptive sensor. Is that the case?

I had big ideas of making my Luna moth circle a lantern, thinking the lantern might provide enough energy for the unit to limp along if the battery runs down. Nope. The light is enough for my calculator, but not for this little unit's motor. (And yeah, there's no integral battery to solar-charge.) I might just remove the photoelec. part to make the base less obtrusive.
One other consideration. Mine doesn't work for squat when there's even a small breeze. The moth is going indoors, so it's not a problem, but an outdoor bat might need a little stiffer wire where it's attached to the rotating base...or maybe just be glued in so it doesn't twist as it revolves-- forcing it to go upwind as the disk rotates.

I'll be watching for developments, whether they relate to my application or not! Cool project!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
What would happen if you held it upside down as though it was hanging from the ceiling?
I just put the battery in mine and held it upside down and it still works!! I think you would have to readjust your bat repurpose if you were going to use it in the upside down position... but it did still work.

DANG that thing MOVES!!!!!!

·
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was wondering about one aspect of that, too. It looks like you painted over the photoreceptive sensor. Is that the case?

I had big ideas of making my Luna moth circle a lantern, thinking the lantern might provide enough energy for the unit to limp along if the battery runs down. Nope. The light is enough for my calculator, but not for this little unit's motor. (And yeah, there's no integral battery to solar-charge.) I might just remove the photoelec. part to make the base less obtrusive.
One other consideration. Mine doesn't work for squat when there's even a small breeze. The moth is going indoors, so it's not a problem, but an outdoor bat might need a little stiffer wire where it's attached to the rotating base...or maybe just be glued in so it doesn't twist as it revolves-- forcing it to go upwind as the disk rotates.

I'll be watching for developments, whether they relate to my application or not! Cool project!
I did paint over the solar sensor.
I didn't plan on using the solar aspect of the unit.
I've had my bat out in the wind with no problems.
I think the butterflies are so light weight, they can't take a breeze blowing around.

·
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great job Bob! Hurry up and patent it... Otherwise it's guaranteed to be in the Spirit store or in the Grandinroad catalog this Halloween!
Thanks will!

I know...right? Dang copycats ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts