Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an idea I came up with to help hide that annoying side glare from floodlights. I took some 2 gal black plastic plant containers and made an opening in the bottom with a 1 1/2" hole saw chucked into my drill. I also made an opening off to the side of that hole to allow for the cord to come out without binding.

Then I attached the base plate to the bottom of the planter using screws.

And here's the finished product.

The most important thing to remember is to make sure that the bulb is centered and does not touch any part of the container. The bulb should rest just below the edge of the opening. I also used a couple of 5 gal containers and the bulb could be set lower into the container, but still needs to be centered. You could beef this up a bit by using a thin piece of plywood both on the inside as well as the outside and screw into those along with the planter and bulb plate. I didn't bother with these and they're holding up beautifully.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
That works pretty slick doesn't it LaurieBeast? I did that last year with a bunch of containers I had laying around the garage. Good thing I hadn't thrown them yet.

Looks like you have thicker ones. I used thin ones that some perenials came in. I just made an X in the bottom with an utility knife and stuck the stake in from the bottom up. And with the rain here I didn't want a tight fit anyway so any water could drain away.

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not knocking this at all because I am sure this might come across the wrong way, just wanted to say that first. What is the advantage of using these exactly? What are they suppose to do?
What they do is block any view of the bulb itself and focuses the light where you want it. So, as you're walking past a display, you only see the lit display and not the lit bulb.

Jackielantern, if placed with one of the drainage holes that are already in the container closest to the ground, it would easily drain any water.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Laurie, I have one suggestion for you on your design. I see you have the same spot holders that I used for my light cans. They way you have the bases bolted on there seem like you would have to almost stick them sideways in the ground to aim the light. If you remove the 3 screws on the face of the spot holder, and bolt the fixture to the can using that ring and 3 screws, it keeps your spot centered and still allows full movement of the swivel points of the holder..... :D Just a thought.

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's an excellent suggestion, Diabolik and thanks for posting. The only issue I would have, is that with the 2 gal plant container the bulb would set lower in the container and I'd be a bit concerned about the heat and plastic issue. Using a larger container (5 gal) would be perfect. Again, I appreciate your suggestion.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
In your design above, how do the water drain?

Also does this cut down on the spread of the light?

It would almost seem like something like this would catch more attention because of its size?

Using a paint can, you just need to drill a hole in the can. :D

Yes, it narrows the light quite a bit.

Actually you can put these anywhere. Being black, you really don't see them much. The beauty of it is that you don't see where the light is coming from. The cans hide all the glare. They also cut down on where the light goes. I used them on my lightning spots last year because i wanted most of the flash on the house and not lighting up the entire yard.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
That's an excellent suggestion, Diabolik and thanks for posting. The only issue I would have, is that with the 2 gal plant container the bulb would set lower in the container and I'd be a bit concerned about the heat and plastic issue. Using a larger container (5 gal) would be perfect. Again, I appreciate your suggestion.
Mine are just 1 gallon paint cans so heat it not really an issue for me. That paired with the fact that most Halloween nights here are only 40-50 degrees... :rolleyes:

I have 8 of these now. Half for spotting props and the other half for lightning. A nice easy project.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mine are just 1 gallon paint cans so heat it not really an issue for me. That paired with the fact that most Halloween nights here are only 40-50 degrees... :rolleyes:

I have 8 of these now. Half for spotting props and the other half for lightning. A nice easy project.

I use 1 gallon plastic plant containers and haven't had a problem yet. Then again I live in a colder climate like you. Nights are usually in the low 40's. I've also use the small square containers that larger annuals come in for my 25 watt colored bulbs.

LaurieBeast - of course! Duh.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts