Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you running colored flood lights. What wattage are you using? I bought blue PAR38's from home depot, but they don't seem that bright. THey are 85 watt. I wonder if they make like 100W? What do you guys run. I know some of you switched to PAR30's LEDS, but I havnt made that jump yet.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
I run a 75 watt, but I wanted a dimmer light wash over particular areas of my graveyard. I use two blues (ground staked) behind my fence and in toward the front tombstones, one red one providing up lighting to my reaper, and there will be three red pin spots up providing red color splashes up the front of the house to accent the webs and spiders when they get put in this weekend. I'm also combating a street lamp (will open the access panel this weekend under the cover of darkness to see if there might be a simple solution to removing the light for the big night)! NOT, I'm a big chicken when it comes to electricity and unless I can control all aspects of what I am working on!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Dude, don't screw with your street light. Combat light with more light of your own. Turning off a street light isn't safe. Kids have enough danger on 'ween, what with their dark clothing and all - the last thing they need is someone turning off the one light that makes them visible so a yard haunt can benefit.

In the old house I used 85W floods, and when I set everything up this year (larger front yard and greater distance to the street), I was surprised at how much less light we got out of them. I'll be swinging by Lowes tonight to pick up some brighter bulbs.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Dude, don't screw with your street light. Combat light with more light of your own. Turning off a street light isn't safe. Kids have enough danger on 'ween, what with their dark clothing and all - the last thing they need is someone turning off the one light that makes them visible so a yard haunt can benefit.

In the old house I used 85W floods, and when I set everything up this year (larger front yard and greater distance to the street), I was surprised at how much less light we got out of them. I'll be swinging by Lowes tonight to pick up some brighter bulbs.
BM, oops, part of my response isn't complete. There should have been another line that said, "NOT, I'm a big chicken when it comes to electricity and unless I can control all aspects of what I am working on!" See what hapens when I read and post so early in the a.m.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use 20W landscaping spots from malibu, then add colored gels to them. They are very bright and cycle on and off via the normal timer. You can pickup colored gels from any production studio or online for cheap (less than 7bucks a sheet)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Blah - you can imagine my disappointment to get to Lowes last night on the way home from work and found ZERO colored floods over 85W!

I've got experience making my own PAR cans and gel holders, but to be honest, I really don't feel like BUILDING anything else this year, so I may just pick up some more 85s and re-position what I've already got out there to get a better effect.

Oh well, such is our hobby I suppose! lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Guys just a suggestion, Minions Web sells fantastic LED Floods/Spots, I have a few of the blue Floods and trust me they are very bright and you will never have to replace them. I was skeptical but they are fantastic. I know it might be too late for this year but you should check them out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think if I can get my hands on some cans in the coming days, I may build some homemade PARs, then I can just put white floods in there and gel the suckers. Thanks for the MW recommendation though, I may have to check 'em out sometime in the future!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I went all Led this year and it is so much better. A few days ago I wanted some more Blue light for my porch and it was too late to order Led. So I to went to Home Depot and bought 3 85 watt floodlights, extension cords, and yard light stakes. What a disappointment!!! Should of returned them but I had it set up and made the best out of it. I sat outside looking at the light and realized the problem is the beam is to spread out to give a good lighting effect. I took aluminum foil and made narrow cones for each light and it worked perfect for what I wanted. May work for you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah I also think the cone of light is too wide for my purposes. Not really wanting to go out and buy PARs just to stick out in the yard and risk losing, I'm going to dive about 15 years back in my playbook and build some coffee can PAR-cans....that should help alleviate some of the issue. Foil would be a good quick fix too though!

·
Banned
524 Posts
I think Minions Web is sold out of there LED spots for the year if I remember correctly. I was on there site the other day looking and I think they showed as sold out. Those are the ones I am going with and they can be used with LOR, AL, and D-Light.

If you go with incandescent you don't need more then an 85 watt bulb unless your yard is an acre. You want to be able to cast shadows and cast a soft wash. You want that eerie feeling not have it lit up ready to play Monday Night Football. If you need to focus on a certain object after the wash then use a Par 36 Pin Spot. You can gel those with any color and they are a tight focus beam with a long throw.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you go with incandescent you don't need more then an 85 watt bulb unless your yard is an acre.
Not entirely true. Every yard is different, and you've got to take things like existing light fixtures (street lights, for instance), overhead foliage (how many trees block your moon), and the size/layout of your props all into consideration.

I've got a blue 85 in the lower left corner of my haunt, nestled into the second row of stones, and it only lights up about 2 stones in the row behind it, casting very weak shadows on the house behind them. This is mainly because A) I've got a decent sized front yard, and B) our neighborhood has no street lights - instead, every yard has a decorative lamp on a pole at the end of the driveway. Once I switch that to a different color, it'll make a big difference, but so far I've just left the existing white.

·
Banned
524 Posts
I see your point, but not everyone has to contend with foliage and the moon phase might not be full or on a cloudy night so you really can't plan for that.

In your case you would need to add one more 85 watt blue flood to the opposite end. That way you have one on each corner of your yard and have them wash in an X pattern. That will probably help your situation out. Especially after you change out your lamp. My yard is 20x40 and I use 2 85 watt floods and it looks great. Normally you don't want to add more lights but in your case you need to in order to balance things out from the other side.

It is all how you position your lighting and a higher wattage bulb might not always be the better solution. 100 watt is to over powering especially to your props in the fore front.

If you haven't check out the tutorial below. At the bottom of that page is some good examples. Like I mentioned before pin spots make fixtures for highlighting certain elements without washing it out.

-Skull And Bone-

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh I completely agree that it's site-specific...that was what I was trying to say (but you did much better)....I just didn't want the original poster to read "you don't need more than 85W unless you're lighting an acre" as a hard and fast rule.

And yeah, I LOVE the S&B tute....it was one of the first h'ween sites I ever bookmarked!

·
Banned
524 Posts
Ah yea I see what you mean. Yea I guess that could have been taken the wrong way. I guess I should have worded it differently. I guess what I was trying to say is a good time to use 100 watt is if you have a very large yard or having to wash a large area. I am just going off the average sized yard about 20x40 or smaller where 85 watts is usually perfect if you place them and balance them correctly. So in a setting like that 100 watts may be to much. 100 watts are good for long throws though but for washing it can be to much.

I know what you mean about bookmarking that site. I was in stage production for 15 yrs so I was around lighting and sound all the time and it is still a favorite of mine and a good example.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What bulbs to use

Hi, Lowes has only the 85 watt bulbs, which I use for a soft look on the house. Home depot has the 100 watt I use for my graveyard.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know what you mean about bookmarking that site. I was in stage production for 15 yrs so I was around lighting and sound all the time and it is still a favorite of mine and a good example.
It was such an eye opening site for me - like you, I had experience with lighting and effects (I was a mobile DJ for about 8 years) and I was immediately impressed by the amount of detail and explanation the folks at S&B put out there. There's a reason there aren't many other lighting tutorials that people reference!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts